ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 01-11-2021, 11:34 PM   #821
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toradoch View Post
This was a suprisingly fun figure. I picked him up used and he came with the upgrade kit (head, shoudler fix, missile rack and gun). I was sort of on the fence until I saw him used in Harris Louierro's awesome Generations stop motion on his YouTube channel.
That’s sick, I didn’t even know about those upgrades. Certainly needs the help. I’ll also check out the stop motion stuff, I’m always in awe of it.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:08 PM   #822
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

492-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Han Solo and TaunTaun.

Echo Base Officer: “Your TaunTaun will freeze before you reach the first marker!”

Han Solo: “Then I’ll see you in Hell! CHRISTIAN HELL!!”

This was a joke from the comedian Paul Rust that I always laugh about when I think of the scene on Hoth and get a chuckle from. Yes, it’s only a movie written with some “earth familiarities” , but these are the types of moments or lines of dialogue that take us out of the world from a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. One the more pedantic moments from me is the packing scene in Ep 2 Attack of the Clones. If you blocked that movie from your brain, (I don’t blame you) the scene involves Anakin and Padma discussing her leaving Coruscant to her native Naboo for protection as there have been multiple attempts on her life. Like most of the movie, the dialogue is inconsequential, but the issue is that she is packing suitcases… Like normal suitcases. I mean, I’m not sure if they are a Samsonite brand with TSA approved lock, but they are typical looking suitcases. So the question is, do they not have a better way to pack? Have we as a society on Earth perfected the best possible way to transport a weeks’ worth of clothes to go on holiday? I have to imagine in a galaxy where Light Speed, Magic Wizards and laser swords are the norm that then could do better than that? I suppose some kuddos can be given to Lucas for actually addressing the fact that people need to change clothes in real life, as Luke, Han and Leia had the same clothes on for each movie in the original trilogy, but again, think of something better than a suitcase.

Pros: Right from the jump I was very excited at the change to get a 6” version of Hoth Han and his Tauntaun because back in the day, I was lucky enough to get the 12” version of the same set, and it remains to be one of my FAVORITE pieces in my collection. Reason being is because back in the day Hasbro decided to royally screw with Canadian’s and release a bunch of these 12” figures to US only retailers and did not make them available internationally. This was a time before Amazon, EB Games, online retailers or even Wal-Mart, so all I had was my local comic shop (which is still standing thank you very much) and Toys R Us. If I recall correctly, most of these 12” exclusives went to KB Toys of all places and were all but out of reach, but I got lucky and was able to get the massive 12” figure. I’m honestly not sure from where, but the point is that I felt very fortunate to get him. Fast forward 20-some years and Hasbro releases a similar set, but with one major difference: the color of Han’s parka. Ever since the movie, there has been some discussion as to what the real color of Han’d parka was, Blue or Brown. I don’t really care as I like both, but prefer the blue one as I have a matching one that I wear when it hits thirty below. Outside the jacket and my nostalgic enjoyment of the figure, I love the detailed sculpt of both Han and the Tauntan and the removable hood and goggles. Its overall just a solid set.

Cons: I’ll keep this short, but it’s a pet peeve of mine when a figure that is meant to ride something, be it a motorcycle or beast of burden, doesn’t ride very well and unfortunately Han has some issues in that department. I recognize that it would likely require an entire redesign of the figure and likely affect the look when not riding, but it’s still an issue. Additionally I wish there was a way to remove his hood without feeling that I was going to rip the soft plastic. Lastly, while I appreciate the “articulation” on the Tauntaun, it still has an issue staying upright with Han on its back. Funny enough the 12” version has the same issue, but one would think a Black Series caliber figure, made for collectors, would be solid.

Old 01-12-2021, 12:09 PM   #823
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 01-13-2021, 02:09 PM   #824
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

493-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Chameleon

Does everyone remember the Chameleon’s appearance in the Spider-Man Animated series from the 90’s. His face was more or less the same as what we have here: a Voldemort looking white face, but he wore a futurist purple jumpsuit that said Star Trek character more than Marvel villain. The kicker was that his power to morph into different people was controlled by a rather large device on his belt buckle that would remain visible when he changed forms so that we as viewers could tell the difference between the Chameleon and the real person he is emulating. The funny thing was that this belt buckle device was huge and anyone should have been able to pinpoint this shapeshifter by looking at his belt! Perhaps I’m asking too much of a children’s cartoon, but what can I say? I have high expectations.

Pros: Whoever pitched this Chameleon deserves a raise. Not because it’s a particularly good figure, but because it was likely cheap to produce and lead to fan’s buying multiples for their collection. The body is a re-purposed suit that we’ve seen a few times, but all the heads (Chameleon, J. Jonah Jamison and Hardhead) are decently sculpted members of the spider verse that may not have been released if not as an addition. The other surprise is the decent amount of other hardware that is provided: A space looking blaster, a laser rifle with a removable ammo canister and a tommy looking gun for Hardhead.

Cons: Two small issues that I have: 1. The space guns are a bit lame, and I’m not sure where they came from. I’d also have rather a character specific accessory for JJ, but that will be forthcoming from the Marvel Legend release. 2. The ankle joint sucks on this figure as it is unable to flex upwards.

Last edited by Team Jetfire; 01-13-2021 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:28 PM   #825
ghostlurk29
Mutant

Hardhead makes me wonder why nobody has tried a Dick Tracy toy-line revival.
ghostlurk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:03 PM   #826
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlurk29 View Post
Hardhead makes me wonder why nobody has tried a Dick Tracy toy-line revival.
That’s a really great idea. I’d even support a new movie as the old one has not really aged well.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:00 PM   #827
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

494-2
Hasbro- Transformers Combiner Wars: Cyclonus

Well, well, well. Look who was tucked away in a box and forgotten about. I’m not even sure why I picked him up given that he was a re-tool of an average figure and I was not interested in getting 4 more of the same appendages to make another combined figure. That said I may have still been a completist back then, or more likely he was on sale. In any case, he’s not a terrible figure, so there’s that.

Pros: Overall Cyclonus is not a bad figure. His robot mode has a decent resemblance to his G1 iteration, and the robot mode has a good overall look, decent articulation, and a fun transformation. He also has the ability to combine with 4 other deluxe combiner wars figures if you have extras.

Cons: The jet mode is a bit weak considering that the top of the plane is really just sitting on a brick. Also, I’m not really sure why this is a combiner war figure.

Old 01-14-2021, 03:00 PM   #828
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 01-15-2021, 03:14 PM   #829
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

495-2
Hasbro- G.I. Joe Renegades: Storm Shadow

I’m continuing to review each episode of the short lived G.I. Joe Renegades show; see review 275-2, 302-2, 330-2, 357-2, 384-2, 398-2, 425-2, 440-2, 452-2 & 480-2 for previous thoughts.

EP: 12 Homecoming Part 2

Basic Premise (From Wikipedia): With the Joes in Flint's military custody, the Baroness tries to regain control of the hard drive holding Cobra's secrets from their military transport. The Joes' identities are compromised in the process, leading to them being called the "Springfield Four". After losing a battle with Snake Eyes atop a moving train, Storm Shadow approaches the Baroness to form an alliance with Cobra.

Thoughts: A fine episode with some definite highlights including camos by Stalker and Tripwire, a train takeover by a very skilled Baroness and long overdue re-appearance by Storm Shadow, but it really only boiled down to a wild goose chase with the joes evading capture and Flint still not trusting Duke even though there is clearly some craziness happening behind the scenes. That said, it was nice to see how Storm Shadow joins the team as a way to get at Snake Eyes.

Pros: Literally everything is great about Renegades Storm Shadow. Tons of accessories, uniform changes from black to red belts and two different head sculpts including the Renegades style and more traditional RAH look. This really is the pinnacle version of Storm Shadow.

Cons: The only issue of the figure is people’s ability to actually find the figure in store. I was lucky to get my grubby hands on two due to a lucky find at Winners, but I know retail finds were more than frustration, something that seems to be the norm for GI Joe figures in general.

Old 01-18-2021, 03:18 PM   #830
Toradoch
Super Friend

What I love most about this thread is it's a time machine, looking back at stuff I missed, sold or/and regret selling. Great stuff!
Toradoch is offline   Reply With Quote