ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 10-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #31
pud333
Master of the Universe
Re: Macross Toy Reviews

Attack mode:

The SDF-1 stands at nearly 17 inches. It looks so impressive, with the giant Macross cannons that can obliterate anything in their path. The attack mode is what this toy is all about. The articulation is good for a toy like this. I mean, you won't be doing the splits at any point, since it is a flying fortress after all. In the anime, it actually barely moves beyond rotating the cannons down and moving an arm or two. But here, there is articulation in the shoulders, elbows, the platforms can rotate 360 degrees, the legs have articulation at the hips, and of course the cannons come down and they lock in place with the touch of a well disguised button on each cannon.

Again, the detail is ridiculous. The back is probably the most impressive view of the toy. Also, there is plenty of diecast. The diecast is mostly in the major support joints, as it should be, since I feel diecast tends to limit articulation most of the time, but as support joints, it really works well.

You can tilt the stand so it leans forwards or backwards, however you like to pose the SDF-1. Personally, this is my favorite pose. Slightly forward, cannons at the ready, about to kick some Zentradi ass.

Pros: Everything. This is a beast of a toy, and just a magnificent display piece. This is the centerpiece to my entire Macross collection. My holy grail. Words can't really do justice as to how amazing this toy is. I believe the photos speak for themselves. Anime accurate is an understatement. It's fun to play with, fun to look at. Also, I cannot stress enough that this is a toy. It has the structural integrity and durability to be played with.

Cons: Nothing. But if I had to nitpick, which I will, it's the following. 1) Color. It's kind of a boring color, but that is how it pretty much looked like in the movie. 2) Price. I purchased mine at HLJ, which had it on for 27,880 yen - roughly $360 cdn. Regular MSRP is 32,800 yen. 3) It comes with a bunch of plastic pieces on sprues that you have to cut off and then attach to various spots on the toy. These are mostly to cover up exposed screws. While I appreaciate that no screws will be showing, I'd rather they did this at the factory. I know they did it to cut down on costs, but I would rather pay an extra $5 or $10 to have that done for me. It took me nearly 2.5 hours to put every piece in place. I'm not a model builder, so that was annoying. Some you could just push in, others it was better to glue on. It was a project.

Yes, you are paying a boatload of money for one toy, but what a toy it is. And that's the best part: it's durable. It's a toy. The weakest points are obviously the head, the prongs at the very front of the cannon (which can go in and out depending on which mode you have it in), and the shoulder bits. But so long as you are handling those areas with care so as to not stress the plastic, you will be fine. It's inevitable there will be weak points, since this is as anime accurate as you're ever gonna get.

If you are a Macross fan, and love the original TV show and movie, you need to own one of these. You will not be disappointed. It's sold out most places, but you can still find some on ebay and a few online stores like HLJ. There is another, cheaper version of this toy, but it is unpainted and not completed. It is for model builders only, and you have to put the whole thing together. It is distinguishable by the addition of broken cannon parts, which if you saw the movie, at one point they get damaged. That set also comes with glow in the dark stickers. So unless you like putting together models, avoid that one. Buy the completed, painted model.

With the 30th anniversary coming up, there are more on order, and I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a TV version should this movie version sell well enough. Although the TV version would need all new tooling for the platforms, so I don't know if they'll just come out with a straight repaint or not.

Normaly I don't give a "score" since I think this is all subjective. Either you like it and want to buy it, or you don't. Simple as that. But if I were to give it one out of 10, it would be a 9.5 / 10. the -.5 deduction due to having to glue some small pieces on and the gigantic price tag that could turn people off. But really, it's worth it. Dollar for plastic, this is well worth the money.

Epic. That is what this SDF-1 is. Just epic. This is the most impressive piece of engineering yet by Yamato. I still consider the best being the perfect transformation VF-1, but that's only because there are more moving parts, the transformation is more complicated, yet it still pulls off the anime look. But this is definitely the most impressive. Epic, my friends. Epic.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #32
racerguy76
Agent of Shield

The SDF-1 does look like an amazing toy, it's just too much for my budget. The only flaw lookslike the lack of paint apps. the takeoff\landing decks look great, i think a little shading would have gone a long way to bring that fantastic detail out.

Thanks for the photos!
Old 10-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #33
pud333
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerguy76 View Post
The SDF-1 does look like an amazing toy, it's just too much for my budget. The only flaw lookslike the lack of paint apps. the takeoff\landing decks look great, i think a little shading would have gone a long way to bring that fantastic detail out.

Thanks for the photos!
No prob! Yeah, some panel lining or shading would have been perfect. I suppose a skilled model guy could do it, but I would just mess it up.

As for price, I know someone on TFW that got one shipped for $280 USD. It was a used one from Mandarake. For those that don't know Mandarake is an online site for retailers in Japan that sell used items, usually displayed pieces. They currently have two on sale, for 18,000 yen and 20,000 yen, which would put it about $240-$260 + shipping, which I gather would be about $50-$55. A brand new one would cost over $400 shipped. That's quite some savings for those that want to try.

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en...sdf-1+1%2F3000

I can't personally vouch for the quality of the toys being sold, but I have it from various other people who have bought stuff that Mandarake is legit. I plan to try Mandarake to snag a VF-19 Kai at some point in the future. And if they ever release a TV version of the SDF-1, if it has new tooling to make it anime accurate, then I might have to pick that up too, but only second hand since I don't think I could justify another $400.

For the record, the unassembled SDF-1 is going brand new online for 15,800 yen (approx $210). I suspect if it took me 2.5 hours to put the little plastic pieces in, trying to assemble the whole thing by oneself would take days.

Now I have to decide if I want to keep my 1/5000 WAVE SDF-1, since it looks so... tiny in comparison...

Last edited by pud333; 10-20-2011 at 06:17 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:37 AM   #34
pud333
Master of the Universe

The following is a review of Yamato's 1/60 scale YF-21, with accompanying fold booster pack.

The YF-21 is from the anime Macross Plus, which was the official sequel to the original Macross series. In the show, the military is running tests to chose the successor fighter to the VF-11. The YF-21 is up against the YF-19. The YF-19 eventually wins the day - and the contract - but the YF-21 is a real gem.

This is the 1/60 scale version by Yamato. The box is typical old school Yamato packaging - big, bulky, and flimsy cardboard. Nothing to write home to mom about.

The original release of this toy included a stand and FAST Packs, but the rerelease did away with the latter parts and instead you must buy the FAST packs separately with the Fold Booster. The FAST packs don't really add much to the toy, unlike the VF-1s, but they're still cool to have.

Like typical Yamato toys, there is diecast in the landing gear and major joints, but not much else. It's really mostly plastic. But the detail is very nice, such as the clear plastic pieces all over the plane. Much better than painted parts.

Fighter mode:

The guns stow away underneath, attaching to the armour.

Just like in the anime, the wings and rear fins can tuck in to show off that menacing high-speed look.

Again, some excellent detail in the cockpit. The pilot, Guld Goa Bowman (a Zentradi/Human hybrid), is removable and made of a soft rubbery material. The YF-21 is piloted by the pilot's mind, though it does have traditional controls as backup.

Gerwalk mode without the armour. As you can see, it doesn't really add much or take away anything from the toy:

Old 10-26-2011, 12:37 AM   #35
pud333
Master of the Universe

Battroid mode:

Sans armour. You can really see the alien Zentradi influence.

There is a neat transformation gimmick where you can push the pilot seat back, to tilt the pilot right-side up during Battroid mode. Little details like this make the toy.

Armour.

Fold Booster:

This is the box with the Fold Booster and FAST packs. You have to buy this separately. On the front is the YF-19, which I will eventually review one day if there is ever a second version made. (The first version has a host of QC problems, from flimsy joints to the plastic literally exploding a year or two later).

Packaging tray:

The Fold Booster attaches with separate pieces. The best part? It glows. It takes 3 LR44 watch batteries that you can buy anywhere, and it pulses different colors. The middle compartment glows green, and the front pulses blue and red. This completes the toy. What an excellent gimmick!

Pros: So much to like here. From the design of the plane itself, to the little details like the cockpit. The figure itself is very durable. It's very anime accurate, which is what Yamato really does well. The Fold Booster accessory is just flat out AWESOME. Apparently a few pretty lights is enough to sway my opinions. Aside from the little pieces of plastic you have to remove when attaching the Fold Booster, as well as the plastic vent covers you have to remove in fighter mode, this is a perfect transformation. Another win for Yamato. Macross Plus is one of my favorite anime shows, so it's a real treat to be able to own this plane.

Cons: There are little things to nitpick on, such as the canopy, which seems flimsy when you open it, and won't stay open without you holding it, which is unusual for Yamato valkyries. The FAST Packs seem pointless really, but that's not Yamato's fault: it's the shortcoming of the valkyrie design in general. But the big con is the transformation. This is, by far, the hardest valkyrie to transform. I spent over 6 hours yesterday, and I couldn't figure out how to fit the legs back in properly. I still can't. I'm not the only one: I guess the problem was so bad that Yamato included extra instructions. Problem is, I don't read Japanese. A final con is that this toy feels a bit like a shell-former, if I can borrow a Transformers expression. But again, it's hard to make a toy about a hybrid alien/human designed robot that transforms.

The YF-21 is available at HLJ.com. The MSRP is a whopping 18,800 yen, but there is a sale right now until the end of the month. I got mine for 45% off at 10,340 yen, which is about $140 cdn. The Fold Booster is on for 4,930 yen - approximately $65, which is kind of pricey, but a must have.

Correction: HLJ's sale is ending October 27th, 6pm JST.

Last edited by pud333; 10-26-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:06 AM   #36
pud333
Master of the Universe

Finally. What I've been waiting for. A TRUE 1/60 scale VF-25F. This is the Bandai DX Chogokin VF-25F Alto custom valkyrie from the show, Macross Frontier. Bandai made these valkyries a couple years ago. However, much to the dismay of many collectors, there were many, many short comings. For said shortcomings, just go back in this thread to see my review on the VF-25G. This v2 is far superior.

Typical Bandai packaging. Nice box art, and the toy comes in a styrofoam tray, which I personally prefer over Yamato's plastic ones. The toy comes with a stand that can be used for all three modes, as well as extra hands, a knife, a gun, a little Alto that fits in the cockpit, and an Alto wearing his ex gear, which he uses to fly about should he ever have to leave/abandon his valkyrie. Which happens more often in the show than one would think.

Fighter mode:

This is a gorgeous bird. No doubt about it. Very accurate to the line art / anime. Everything about the first version has been fixed here. The VF-25F can sit in fightermode on the landing gear, even with the gun attached. This was a huge failing of the original version.

The wings retract, and have a nice "clicking" function.

Gerwalk mode:

One of the big problems with the first version was that the gerwalk mode couldn't pull off the A-frame stance. Now, it has no problems, and even has an extra bar that clicks things into place.

The gun can attach in gerwalk mode just like in the anime.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:08 AM   #37
pud333
Master of the Universe

Battroid mode:

Unlike the v1, this version is very slender and elegant looking. Just a really nice looking robot. The articulation is actually very good, probably some of the best I've seen in any valkyrie. Bandai really did a great job on this toy.

It's in the details. When you pay $150 for a toy, you want details, and lots of them. You really get your money's worth with this valkyrie.

I know this is a little detail, but it's important. The guns on the head can be pulled into a V shape, just like in the anime.

The crotch piece justs out just like it is supposed to. The v1 did not do this.

Die cast in the major joints, as well as the feet, which are on metal ball joints. Very, very nice.

The hands are articulated and they grip the weapons very nicely.

The knife can be sheathed within the shield.

The gun transforms.

The vents can be removed to reveal the turbines in fighter mode.

Last edited by pud333; 11-14-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #38
pud333
Master of the Universe

One of the best parts about this toy is the little Alto in ex gear that it comes with. He's not articulated, but he does come with a base stand and a wire that shows off his flying. So, so cool.

The cockpit is very interesting as well. Here, you see how it is packaged: Alto in the front, as a one seater.

In the show, it is a two seater. You can remove the back plastic cover plate, and push the second seat back to reveal the two seater. I took the Ranka Lee figure from the VF-27 and plopped her in. Looks great!

Overall, this is a fantastic toy. This is the way the toy should have been made the first time! Bandai really outdid themselves this time. Word is, it was a different team that worked on this version, and it was overseen by the guy from the Bandai hobby division, who worked on the excellent 1/72 scale model. I can't say enough about this toy. It's perfect. Probably one of the most beautiful Macross pieces there is.

Cons: the quality control I have heard is spotty on this toy. Mostly just paint chips, chips in the plastic, and some of the finer details being bent or stressed. The latter seems very rare and not widespread. Mine had no problems for the most part. Tight joints all around, perfect paint applications, nothing broken. However, my valk did not escape QC problems entirely. If you look at the circled spots, you will see the issue. The right side is normal, but on the left side, you can see some paint missing in the black paint. That is not a paint chip. The plastic is actually bent down and folded away. Looks like someone at the factory used more force than what was necessary. Still, nothing to cry about, and you really don't notice it unless you are specifically looking for it.

Price. MSRP is 14,000 yen. I got mine from Amiami for 27% off, at 10,150 yen, which came out to about $135 + shipping. This is a fantastic valkyrie for such a low price. Yamato valkyries average these days well into the $200-$250 range, so you're really getting a great deal. The problem is, the preorders sold out super fast, and pretty much everywhere you look online, it is sold out. Some places still have it for sale, at around the $180 range. Buy one now, because if you miss out, don't be surprised to see this go for double, even tripple the value. These new v2 valks are highly coveted and prices will keep going up.

EDIT: Amiami just restocked. Unfortunately, no discount. You're basically paying MSRP now, which is about par for where everyone else that still has any in stock is charging.

Last edited by pud333; 11-04-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:45 AM   #39
pud333
Master of the Universe

I got some Yamato valkyrie stands in the mail from HLJ. It comes with various attachments so you can display your 1/60 or 1/48 scale valkyries in all three modes. Most of the new Yamato valkyries can be used with this stand. It retails for 3,900 yen, which is about $50, but you can frequently find this on sale at HLJ from time to time for 2340 yen - about $30, which is what I paid for mine. They're incredibly sturdy (I dropped the stand with my VF-1S Roy Focker while I was attempting to take photos for this review, and not a scratch.) There's significant weight to the base, and there are screws where you can tighten the various articulation points. All in all, a great stand and a must have for your valkyrie collection. I recommend you own at least one. With the newer valkyries getting bigger and heavier, this stand will be one of the best you can get. At $50, it might be too pricey, but at $30, it's worth it.

Fighter mode:

Gerwalk mode:

Battroid mode:

An example of the type of attachment it comes with:

Last edited by pud333; 12-02-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #40
racerguy76
Agent of Shield

I love updates to this thread. I could pretty much use it as my holy grail thread. C'mon lottery!

Tags
1/60 yamato valkyrie