ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Mattel Toy Discussion

Old 06-27-2023, 07:54 PM   #1
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Mattel Creations Crowdfunding projects

So since I started a thread for Haslabs, I figured I would start one for Mattel Creations crowdfunding projects as well.

I know, I know, I already missed quite a few, but outside of Eternia I really had minimal interest in the other projects.

Supposedly they were starting a new project today (Jurrasic World Gates) so I figured I would start a thread. Right now though I can't access the project. It is on their front page, but when I try to go into it it say "page not found."

So I don't know if it is something to do with Canada, or if they pulled it for now. It was the Gates and Ford Explorer, plus one figure for $250US. The stretch goals were:

(5,000) Unlock project

(early bird) some sign post/markers

(6,000) Fencing for the gates
(8,000) Special paint "Buck" T-Rex
(10,000) Girl figure (forget her name) and goat with removable leg. I think there was something else as well but I can't remember.

Anyway, early buzz is that it is way overpriced for what you get, even with everything unlocked. We'll see what happens, but I won't be doing a daily tracker like I do with the Haslabs because it doesn't appeal to me as much.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 08:00 PM   #2
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Re: Mattel Creations Crowdfunding projects

Ok for some reason it shows up now in the US side, so maybe something to do with international orders? Although it does mention international orders so who knows.

Anyway:

- early bird is 6 paddock signs

- Forgot to mention the gates are motorized to open and close with light up torches that flicker like flames. Plays the movie theme and jungle sounds

- Ford Explorer has rubber tires and "premium" paint decos.

- "electric" fence has lights and electrocuted Tim figure

- My mistake the final unlock is just the girl and goat

Early bird is until July 11th, if they reach minimum numbers to back, everyone will get the paddock signs.

Right now it is at 543 backers, out of 5,000 needed to fund, with 29 days left. Not a great start, but it could make it?
Old 06-28-2023, 01:06 PM   #3
kentf
Red Shirt

Out of curiosity I wanted to see what kind of insane price conversion Mattel would put on this for Canadians. It’s showing up as $448CAD and that’s before shipping fees are added on. That’s absolutely bonkers. $250USD converts out to about $330CAD.

But that’s not the only ridiculous thing: Mattel will only open it up to International backers if/when it hits the 5,000 backers mark.

At only 13% of the backer goal I think it’s pretty safe to say this item is completely DOA.
kentf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 06:00 AM   #4
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Well I did say there wouldn't be daily updates in this thread......

Anyway let's see what is going on with the Jurassic Gates:

1,529 / 5,000 (+986 since I last updated) 30% of funding goal with 1+ day left.

HOO-BOY!! This stinker is done and we are just waiting for Mattel to pull the plug.
Old 07-25-2023, 10:34 AM   #5
Napseeker
Dark Knight

Wow. That makes the Haslab for the Rancor and the Inquisitor lightsaber look like huge successes by comparison.

Mattel doesn't know how to handle distribution for its regular retail products so I never had any doubt that this crowdfunder would fail.
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 01:19 PM   #6
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napseeker View Post
Wow. That makes the Haslab for the Rancor and the Inquisitor lightsaber look like huge successes by comparison.

Mattel doesn't know how to handle distribution for its regular retail products so I never had any doubt that this crowdfunder would fail.

Probably the dumbest thing I have seen in a crowdfund is the idea that only the US could back the first 5,000 units, and then international backers.

Yes let's cut out 7+billion potential buyers for 400 million, makes total sense!!! (I know that isn't realistic, but just the notion of percentages)
Old 07-25-2023, 01:59 PM   #7
Arishikage
Cylon Centurion

That terrible exchange rate is also why I didn't back the Eternia playset, and why I'm cranky that a bunch of Masters of the Universe Origins figures are moving to Mattel Creations exclusively. Their "local prices" skew heavily in their favour each time, and we end up out of pocket for a year while the preorders stack up. The other option is to pay the Ebay mark-up when they come out.

At least yelling at clouds is still free...
Arishikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 02:41 PM   #8
Napseeker
Dark Knight

I get the sinking feeling that as the younger kids today play less with physical toys and more with their iPads and smartphone games, the existing toy companies will relegate the "riskier" toys to US-only or US-friendly sales channels like HasbroPulse or Mattel's own version of that. The toy buyers who are left are increasingly age 35+ adults.

They keep more of the profit for themselves and spare themselves from dealing with the Walmarts and Targets (which I'm sure is a pain in the ass, especially Walmart).

Canadian toy collectors will either have to pay through the nose or have to do without.
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 06:24 AM   #9
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Update:

1,553 / 5,000 (+24) 31.06% of funding goal with 20h+ left.

Well this is done but we still have to wait 20+ hours to bury this thing. Wonder if they'll try and release the gates at retail down the road (2+ years)?
Old 07-26-2023, 10:46 AM   #10
Fermix
Cobra Trooper

In the same way that they made their own version of Engine of Vengeance, Ramen Toy seems to be planning their own unlicensed version of the gates
Fermix is offline   Reply With Quote