ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 01-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #161
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

065-2
Hasbro- Star Wars- The Black Series: Darth Maul

It’s kind of unbelievable that that it has almost been 20 years since Star Wars the Phantom Menace was released and by far the most popular thing from that movie was the introduction of Darth Maul. Sure, he went out like a chump, but since then his cult like status was somewhat solidified by his appearance in the Star Wars Clone Wars and Rebels series. I have been diving deep into the former and very much appreciating his addition and feel that he has been handled with care that many Star Wars fans surely appreciate. Do I really accept that a humanoid can be cut in half and survive for years on a junk planet? Not really- but the idea is certainly “on brand” for the Star Wars franchise. I think it’s just proof that sometime with the right story telling, some of these Star Wars prequel characters can really shine.

As with all Black series figures, Maul stands at 6” and features a good amount of articulation and accessories. Maul in particular has an interesting accessory in a head/clock combo that works pretty well. He also comes with his signature double sided lightsaber and binoculars (monoculars) that he can’t really hold up to his eyes. Given that he is relatively rare on the aftermarket, I was trying to be really careful with all his parts, so I didn’t attempt to remove the red light beam from his sabres, but it would have been cool if one could be removed to enact the one sided, long hilt, weapon from his short melee with Qui-Gon while on Tatooine.

Pros: Solid looking figure with good articulation, nice accessories and I like how it shows some love for the prequels.

Cons: He's pretty rare so aftermarket prices are somewhat prohibitive for new collectors and would really benefit from a re-release. Mine also has some really tight joints that make me nervous posing him.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:38 PM   #162
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

066-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Dark of the Moon- Human Alliance: Whirl and Major Sparkplug

Human Alliance Whirl is the kind of figure that I would have loved to have as a kid, and even as an adult collector I can certainly appreciate it. He also gets bonus points for reminding me of the Cobra Fang helicopter from 80 Gi Joe line.

Pros: Nice vehicle mode that works well with his human partner, Robot mode has G1 Whirl elements, 3 mode is a bit goofy, but is kinda fun.

Cons: Clear windshield would have been nice.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:09 PM   #163
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

067-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Power Core Combiners- SteamHammer.

It’s funny to me that there was a time that Transformers fans were clamouring for combinders and were excited for really anything remotely called a constructicon. Now I’m not sure that Steamhammer here was really supposed to be or even emulate Devastator, but it was a bunch of construction vehicles that formed a bigger figure, so what is a fan supposed to think?

At any rate, Steamhammer was one of the later release of the line, when it was already winding down, and despite the overall issues with the series, including stability issues, combined possability and the odd “drone” appendages, it’s actually one of better ones of the the bunch.

Pros: Main robot is great with solid robot and vehicle modes.

Cons: Somewhat unstable combined mode.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:10 PM   #164
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Too many pics in the previous post:

Old 01-30-2018, 01:24 PM   #165
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

068-2
DC Collectibles- DC Icons: Blue Beetle.

Much like many other lesser known DC characters, my first introduction to the Blue Beetle was through the excellent Batman Brave and the Bold cartoon series. From there he has been featured prominently in other cartoons, animated movies and of course the comics. I have grown quite fond of the character as I appreciated his predecessors back story and how he evolved within the mythos. In fact there was a Batman: TBATB episode that told the story of the previous Blue Beetle(s) and sets up why Bats has taken the new version under his wing so-to-speak. Another total badass version of the character is in the phenomenal Young Justice series that pretty well revolves around the scarab (this thing that gives him powers) and the planet that it came from. If you like well-crafted long form storytelling and you want to see DC actually do media right, then check out both cartoons.

I’m not certain as to where this particular version of the character was sculpted from, but it certainly has hallmarks of the overall design, including the blue suit armor, the scarab backpack and the shoulder mounted leg/weapon things. He's also remarkably tall and slim which isn’t really inline with the teenage alter ego Jamie, but suits the alien backstory fairly well. Overall Icons Blue Beetle is another bittersweet release and overall great addition to the now defunct toy line.

Pros: Nice sculpt and design with good accessories including multiple weapons and wings

Cons: No thigh swivel and would have loved a unmasked head.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #166
Darth Cosmos
Master of the Universe

Figuarts The Last Jedi Rey

Darth Cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:00 AM   #167
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

069-2
Disney Infinity 3.0- The Good Dinosaur: Spot

Of Pixar’s releases, The Good Dinosaur is somewhat forgettable. Sure, it had some good moments and has some amazing scenery, but story wise it fell a bit flat. That said, it odd that Disney Infinity choose to release Spot in their Infinity 3.0 line; he’s not even the GOOD DINOSAUR. Understanding that the movie went through some changes late in the game, I’m wondering if Spot was supposed to have a larger role making this release seem more reasonable.

Pros: Nice sculpt, beaming with character.

Cons: Secondary character from a less popular Pixar movie and part of a defunct game.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:41 AM   #168
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

Wow, I had a lot of catching up to do on your mini reviews (been away from home since xmas time). Good work, and in regards to you saying you wished Hasbro would crank out some AIM soldiers...I could see that happening as they were released in the same wave as the Hydra dudes and we saw those released again in a 2 pack...just hope they don't try and add a bulky figure like they did with Hydra, as I would have preferred 2 more of the original mold.
turtle power eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:23 PM   #169
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle power eh View Post
Wow, I had a lot of catching up to do on your mini reviews (been away from home since xmas time). Good work, and in regards to you saying you wished Hasbro would crank out some AIM soldiers...I could see that happening as they were released in the same wave as the Hydra dudes and we saw those released again in a 2 pack...just hope they don't try and add a bulky figure like they did with Hydra, as I would have preferred 2 more of the original mold.
Thank you! I wasn't sure if anyone actually reads these things.

I agree about the AIM soldiers, could easily be done with a repack or on any of the countless moulds that that they have outside of the big guys.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:24 PM   #170
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

070-2
DC Collectibles- Batman The Animated Series: Robin.

I think I mentioned it before, but Bruce Timm’s Batman the Animated Series from way back in 1992 is my preferred version of the Batman universe which is a testament to how well it has aged. Just for fun I searched out the top ten songs and movies from the same year to see how well those have aged in comparison and I was pretty surprised. Music wise Boyz II Men (End of the Road) was top of the charts with Sir Mix-a-Lot (Baby got Back) and Kris Kross (Jump) right behind. Further down the charts majors acts like Nirvana, U2 and Guns N’ Roses were popular, with staples like Michael Jackson, Madonna and Mariah Carey having multiple hits. While some of these could be considered oldies, I still listen to many of these songs regularly. Movie wise there were less standouts (for me anyways) but do include some heavy’s such as Batman Returns, Aladdin and Reservoir Dogs; all which have aged well IMO. I’m not sure why, but I find this type of info fascinating as it really shows how some things, when they are exceptionally made, can really stick with you for years. If you haven’t recently watched the series, do yourself a favor and re-visit it, especially if you want to get the taste of the new movies out of your system.

This Robin figure has been a long overdue addition to my collection; something that I thank DC Collectibles for. Way back when Kenner released figures for the Animated Series, among the countless suit versions of Batman, there was a Robin figure that I had my eye on because I absolutely loved for the character in the comic. And yes- this was Dick Grayson and not Tim Drake, but the look was basically the same and the character in the series was pretty enjoyable, so he (and other holders of the mantle of Robin) quickly became, and truthfully remains one of, my favorite comic character, even more so than Batman.

As with the other animated series figures, DC Collectibles did a fantastic job with the sculpt of Robin and captures his look perfectly. Articulation is standard for the line and works well for most posing requirements and even feels more sturdy than the first wave, which gives me a bit more confidence in fiddling with him. Accessory wise I was surprised that he came with two capes (one that sits off the shoulder), some hands, a Bat-grapple gun and a whip which comes right out of the cartoon episode Robin’s Reckoning. I was a bit surprised at the lack of a Bat-a-rang as he has a hand that is molded to hold one, but I suppose I can just take from another figure. In a perfect world I would have loved another head with a different expression, but overall there is a good amount of usable stuff.

Pros: Fantastic figure all over with nice articulation and good accessories- perfect for any fan of the original series.

Cons. Another head sculpt would have been nice.