ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 12-26-2022, 07:46 AM   #11
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Re: Mcfarlane TMNT listings

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtastic View Post
Because licensing is basically free money. You don't have to design anything, produce anything, ship anything, or even sell anything. All the risk is on the other party, and you either get a percentage of sales, or a flat fee up front, or both.

This ^

*To cloud*

Plus it doesn't stop you as the Master License holder from making toys yourself.

Hasbro has been getting into this more and more as well. Super7 licenses different brands from them as well. I mean GI Joe Ultimates and ReAction figures are basically competing with Classified and Retro from Hasbro at the exact same time. Same thing with McFarlane Toys itself. They do the 6"-12" side of DC toys, while Spin Master gets the smaller scale, especially with Batman. Now McFarlane has started doing some smaller stuff as well (Page Punchers, Super Powers) so what gives? WB probably broke the license agreements down even further to keep milking the toy companies. They all keep getting to cannibalize each others sales, and WB gets to take the money and invest nothing.

Nickelodeon may own the TMNT rights overall, but they gave the Master License (just for toys I presume) to Playmates. Now granted things could change behind the scenes and we would never know. However the likely situation is either:

A) Playmates as the Master License holder for toys, licensed out this new 2023 TMNT movie for toys to McFarlane.

or

B) Nickelodeon and Playmates' agreement doesn't cover this movie and as such Nickelodeon holds the rights and can license it to anyone they want so too bad Playmates.

Either way it is the way of the toy world today. More and more it seems like the IP holder, or Master License holder, keeps breaking down the licenses being offered by more and more specific criteria to milk as much money out of manufacturers as possible. Damn the consequences to the manufacturers as they cannibalize each other's sales.

canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 09:19 AM   #12
MapleMegatron
Agent of Shield

We are sure Playmates still has the master license?
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 12:29 AM   #13
cloud
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
This ^

*To cloud*

Plus it doesn't stop you as the Master License holder from making toys yourself.

Hasbro has been getting into this more and more as well. Super7 licenses different brands from them as well. I mean GI Joe Ultimates and ReAction figures are basically competing with Classified and Retro from Hasbro at the exact same time. Same thing with McFarlane Toys itself. They do the 6"-12" side of DC toys, while Spin Master gets the smaller scale, especially with Batman. Now McFarlane has started doing some smaller stuff as well (Page Punchers, Super Powers) so what gives? WB probably broke the license agreements down even further to keep milking the toy companies. They all keep getting to cannibalize each others sales, and WB gets to take the money and invest nothing.

Nickelodeon may own the TMNT rights overall, but they gave the Master License (just for toys I presume) to Playmates. Now granted things could change behind the scenes and we would never know. However the likely situation is either:

A) Playmates as the Master License holder for toys, licensed out this new 2023 TMNT movie for toys to McFarlane.

or

B) Nickelodeon and Playmates' agreement doesn't cover this movie and as such Nickelodeon holds the rights and can license it to anyone they want so too bad Playmates.

Either way it is the way of the toy world today. More and more it seems like the IP holder, or Master License holder, keeps breaking down the licenses being offered by more and more specific criteria to milk as much money out of manufacturers as possible. Damn the consequences to the manufacturers as they cannibalize each other's sales.

I see the confusion here.

When a toy company holds the master license that means they can make pretty much any products they can.
Hasbor actually owns GI Joe so they can sell the rights to other companies to profit.
Super7 is in some way hitting some gray ares where ReAction is a retro style design with 5 points of articulation. And Ultimates is a made to order series not available in retail. But stores can order them from Super7 (Note. not big retail chain) And they are also priced $45-55(Now some cases $65 usd) range.

Playmates only holds the master license. So whoever gets to make TMNT stuff like Super7 or NECA, their fess go to Nickolodeon not Playmates. Playmates doesn't make money off splicing the license. Just perhaps paying less for the master license,

Same goes for McFarlane. WB/DC split the license so while Spinmaster holds the master license. McFarlane has the more collector focus line. So they can make 7" figure and bigger size. The Pagepunchers line are 3" figures so smaller than the Spinmaster stuff. Less articulation AND packed in with a comic book.
I also think the Pagepunchers are part of the DC Direct brand so that's also different.

Licensing is interesting. Things might look similar in first glance but they are different in their own way.
Marvel is way smarter in these kind of deals then DC/WB.
For example, look at what kind of art work Marvel merch have vs DC.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 12:32 AM   #14
cloud
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
We are sure Playmates still has the master license?
If they lost it it would be big news.
But based on the working relationship. I don't see while they would. Turtles is the biggest best selling license for Playmates and as long as they keep paying their fees. There shouldn't be any problem with Nickolodeon.
Personally, growing up with the Playmates Turtles toys. I really can't picture a better company dealing with the TMNT master license. Just think of the amount of characters we've gotten. I think other companies would just stick with the core characters.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 07:23 AM   #15
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
I see the confusion here.

When a toy company holds the master license that means they can make pretty much any products they can.
Hasbor actually owns GI Joe so they can sell the rights to other companies to profit.
Super7 is in some way hitting some gray ares where ReAction is a retro style design with 5 points of articulation. And Ultimates is a made to order series not available in retail. But stores can order them from Super7 (Note. not big retail chain) And they are also priced $45-55(Now some cases $65 usd) range.

Playmates only holds the master license. So whoever gets to make TMNT stuff like Super7 or NECA, their fess go to Nickolodeon not Playmates. Playmates doesn't make money off splicing the license. Just perhaps paying less for the master license,

Same goes for McFarlane. WB/DC split the license so while Spinmaster holds the master license. McFarlane has the more collector focus line. So they can make 7" figure and bigger size. The Pagepunchers line are 3" figures so smaller than the Spinmaster stuff. Less articulation AND packed in with a comic book.
I also think the Pagepunchers are part of the DC Direct brand so that's also different.

Licensing is interesting. Things might look similar in first glance but they are different in their own way.
Marvel is way smarter in these kind of deals then DC/WB.
For example, look at what kind of art work Marvel merch have vs DC.

Yeah over the past few years there has definitely been a fragmentation of licenses through scale/play-style agreements over Master Licenses. I guess since there was no apparent announcement of Playmates' losing, or changing their agreement, I just kind of assumed they were still the Master License holder. Maybe they are, or maybe not.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote