ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 01-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #11
BoNKerS
Cobra Trooper
Re: I open a toy & post it here

LOLOL surfing batman kills me!

nice thread!!

I didn't read any of the horror stories on the new Batman adventures, I'm glad I was able to pick up an OK version of it as well.
BoNKerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:34 AM   #12
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Thanks! I really love that surfing Batman, much more than I thought I would. I'm also not sure about the actual problems of the animated series Batman; maybe they fixed the issues??? In any case I'm going to grab a spare just in case.

Hasbro Marvel infinity series; Star-Lord.

I guess you could say that I was somewhat aware of GOTG prior to their explosive rise to stardom (pun intended??) but never thought Marvel Studios would make me a fan. The movie changed all that and since I have picked up most of the new books and took in all the other (limited) media available. While I like the Chris Pratt version of the character, I didn't want to make the investment in the 6'' Marvel Legends figures that would no doubt be required. When I saw this little guy I was convinced that he had to be mine. To be honest, I sort of like the look of this version better; more true to the comics and certainly a look more becoming of a "LORD OF STARS" than the space pirate featured in the movie. Maybe this costume will be featured in the sequel?

Pros: Great articulation, good price point, good likeness to source material.

Cons: Figure broke right out of the package. (Looks like they used a left shoulder joint for the right should and had to force the bicep in place casing the joint pin to crumble. Not wanting to deal with finding a new one, I just glued them together a called it good.)
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:01 PM   #13
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Mattel Planes- Fire And Rescue; Pontoon Dusty

Ok, first thing first, I have an unhealthy obsession with most things Disney. Sure, I loved the cartoons as a kid, but only recently have I fully embraced everything from the theme parks, the movies, comics and apparently now the toys. I also liked, probably more than some, the Pixar movie Cars and subsequently liked the movie from the same universes, Disney Animation's Planes. Regardless of it's formulaic plot and flat characters it's was still charming and provided some stunning visuals on the big screen and the same can be said about the sequel, Fire and Rescue. Typically speaking, I'm not a die-cast collector, but I saw this guy at the dollar store for $3 and figured why not. It's a basic die-cast vehicle, but is able to convey personality; must be the eyes... I guess you put eyes on anything and it somehow gains a soul, it's science!

Pros: Good likeness, personality and cheap!

Cons: Typical stagnant die cast vehicle.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:35 AM   #14
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Hasbro- Star Wars The Black Series: Bastila Shan

Who? If that is what you first thought then you are not alone. I am a Star Wars fan, but apparently I'm not as big as I once was. Apparently the Jedi Bastila Shan was a supporting character in the Knights of the Old Republic Video games released in 2003 on the X-Box and PC (Thank you Wookiepedia). Not sure how I missed what seams like an awesome sounding game/story, but I guess my daughter was just a newborn that year, I had a Playstation and I was working two jobs so I didn't have time for computer games. Perhaps these excuses give me enough of an appeal for the revocation of my NERD card???
I started collecting toys in 1995 with the long sabre POTF figures and have my share of Star Wars toys. I continued through the prequels but quickly lost interest afterwards; how many Chewbacca's do you really need?(Four is the correct answer) And eventually moved on to Transformers and other collectibles. When the Star Wars, The Black Series figures were announced I was intrigued and started picking up characters from Ep 4-6 and the various extended universe figures.

Pros: Great sculpt, detail and articulation on the shoulders, elbows and knees. Honestly it's very surprising to have a toy of such an obscure female character; I wish they would do this more.

Cons: Brutal non-ball jointed hips, no interchangeable hands, lack of other accessories. How did Starkiller get so much stuff??

Anyways, I'm glad that Hasbro took the risk on this one; nice little figure and I hope they not only continue with the EU stuff, but making figures of the cool female characters in the Star Wars universe.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:31 AM   #15
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Hasbro- Transformers Combiner Wars; Windcharger.

Eight in and this is my first Transformer featured; crazy because I have more transformers to open than anything else. In any case I picked this guy up from Toys R Us when the rest of the first wave CW figures were released. I like these little figures as they are nice updates to the mini figures of Generation one, but compared to the other recently released Windcharger, it's a bit of a let down. I'm not sure what the execs at Hasbro are thinking, but this is not progress.

Pros: Nice transformation, decent alt mod.

Cons: No accessories, elbows limit poses, no head movement, inferior to the figure released 2 years ago.

Last edited by Team Jetfire; 02-16-2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #16
Robimus
Super Moderator

Bastilla looks awesome.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:03 PM   #17
Xtreme987
Jedi Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
Hasbro- Transformers Combiner Wars; Windcharger.

Eight in and this is my first Transformer featured; crazy because I have more transformers to open than anything else. In any case I picked this guy up from Toys R Us when the rest of the first wave CW figures were released. I like these little figures as they are nice updates to the mini figures of Generation one, but compared to the other recently released Windcharger, it's a bit of a let down. I'm not sure what the execs at Hasbro are thinking, but this is not progress.

Pros: Nice transformation, decent alt mod.

Cons: No accessories, elbows limit poses, no head movement, inferior to the figure released 2 years ago.

^
I really like this alt mode pictured here however the robot mode just looks a little too lacking for me to purchase.

Nice review though. Keep it up man. I enjoy these.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:17 AM   #18
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Bastilla looks awesome.
Yeah, it's a very nice figure. I didn't realize it at the time, but this was actually the second figure for her?? Wonder if it was just a re packed version?

If I was so inclined and capable she would be perfect as a Korra custom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme987 View Post
^
I really like this alt mode pictured here however the robot mode just looks a little too lacking for me to purchase.

Nice review though. Keep it up man. I enjoy these.
Thanks!! I agree 100%: Decent vehicle mode, poor robot mode. If I actually paid attentioned that it was another Windcharger, I would have passed on it.

Bandai- Big Hero 6; (Marshmallow) Baymax.

What can I say about Big Hero 6? It was a heartfelt movie with some wonderful and memorable characters. In my past review for Dusty (The Planes 2 toy) I mentioned that I was a Disney geek, so this movie was a bit of a no-brainer for me. Heck, I already like comics; add some Disney into the mix and i'm happy. The only bummer was that I felt BH6 was overshadowed by last years hit movie Frozen. The Disney community has taken a bit of a hard stance on Frozen lately (Think of how Transformers fan feel about Bumblebee) and while I really liked Frozen, I am more than Frozen-ed out. Overall I really love his Red Armour, but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this version sporting his "non-intimidating", personal health care companion look; how could you not love this guy? He even comes with the "hairy baby" Mochi. With its success, including an Oscar, you have to believe that they are talking sequel, to which I'm kind of on the fence about. Sure I would love to see another big movie adventure, but i'm not so sure that another movie can capture the charm of the first. Honestly, I feel like a weekly cartoon television series would lend itself very well to the brand and the further development of the characters. They could even work in an Incredibles crossover.

Pros: Great look with the likeness being spot on. I loved that they included Mochi.
Cons: Limited articulation, Doesn't warm up.

Overall it is a nice representation of an excellent character who will enjoy much popularity over then next few years.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:39 AM   #19
JTCh
Toku

Hi Team Jetfire, may I know where you got the Baymax figure? I didn't know there was a standalone figure of Baymax like that, I only have the Armored-up version, but really want just a regular Baymax one. Thanks!
JTCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:28 PM   #20
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Believe it or not I picked him up from a closing Target last week. I didn't realize it eaither until I saw him. I'm sure that the Disney Store will have him eventually though.