ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 05-26-2015, 09:58 PM   #41
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here

Three lights, top and side, but due to my set-up they illuminate the rear portion of the box. I agree 100% though. I need to find a way to move them forward.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:45 PM   #42
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Bandai- Big Hero 6; (Armoured 1.0) Baymax.

I can't really say much more about Baymax and Big Hero Six then I already did in review 009: still love the movie and still love the character. The cool thing about this figure is that is the exclusivity of it. I had no idea of its existence until I saw it on shelf in mass at the NYC Time Square Toys R Us location. This type of find is awesome for two, but equally important reasons near and dear to my heart as a toy collector: Happening upon a new toy that you didn't know existed and finding said toy on vacation: Truly the jackpot of toy hunts.

So truthfully the toy is a bit of let down. Sure he looks the part, but he suffers from a few issues. That said, the fact that they produced this version is good enough for me.

Pros: It's Baymax in his first armour... what else is there to say?

Cons: Limited articulation, flimsy leg joints, weak posing.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:53 PM   #43
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

So I was playing around with the lighting and found a decent solution to the shadow face issue.

Little brighter. I may need to invest into a better light though. This is a halogen and will surely burn through any sheet I put over.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:08 PM   #44
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

024 & 025
Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes- Star Lord & Gamora

Due to sale on these figures I was able to finish the rest of the Disney Infinity 2.0 series, so get ready for a barrage of new posts. On another note, Infinity Fans have likely seen the new pictures of the Star Wars waves to be released and I think they look pretty great. I'm happy that they are continuing Infinity 3.0 with Disney favourites too, but I wish they would focus more on classic characters. I'm sure that a bevy of figures will be available, but it wold be amazing if they would make Darkwing Duck.

Star Lord and Gamora round out the quintet of heroes and also comes with the GOTG game base. I have not played it yet, but the game base is pretty cool looking taking the shape Star Lords ship. The figures themselves look great and capture the recent movie aesthetic well.

Pros: Awesome sculpt and representation, the base hides the "tech"

Cons: No articulation

Old 07-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #45
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

026 & 027
Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes- Spiderman & Nova

Moving right along I have the last of the Game Pack figures. From the IMO unwatchable "Ultimate Spiderman" cartoon comes Spiderman and Nova. And while their source material is brutal, the figures are some of my favourites, especially Spiderman. I understand that they released a Black suit repaint as an exclusive, but it comes in another starter pack and I do not want to spend the extra money. That said, I have a soft spot for the Black Suit.
Not wanting to be outdone, Nova looks great as well. I also started to read the Nova comics and have been quite impressed. I was unaware that they were basically Marvels version of the Green Lantern Corps.
As always, the game base is specific to the game property and this one is a bit weak; it looks like a spider "coin" being attacked by giant tentacle? Maybe it has more to do with the actual game?

Old 07-04-2015, 10:18 PM   #46
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

028 & 029 & 030
Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes- Captain America, Red Falcon, Venom.

Ok, last three for a bit. Captain America sports his typical Red White and Blue and even though he is not my favourite character, I feel he looks pretty great.

Aside from his appearance as "The Falcon" on Captain American 2 I know very little about the Red Falcon. It is also surprising that they released him as this version given the popularity of the movie-verse characters. That said, I'm glad that they kept his as is and I think he looks great. I'm not sure if the character typically has translucent "energy wings" but this figure does and it suits him well.

Venom is another great figure of the series. The sculpting of the face itself knocks it out of the park and captures Venom so well. I'd bet that they scaled up these figures and dropped the Infinity "tech" that collectors would eat these figures up.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:18 PM   #47
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 07-05-2015, 10:28 PM   #48
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

031 & 32
Mattel: Planes- Lead Bottom & Bravo

I vowed no more Dollarama toys, but them I found these guys. Again, being a fan of the movies I was happy to find a few more of these nice little die cast figures for such a cheap price. I'm not sure where these even fit in to my collection but I'm sure they will find a place somewhere.

Lead Bottom is your typical "old-Timer" Bi-Plane that fits the part well. However, it reminds me more of an old World War 1 Amiga computer called Wings. Essentially you were a WW1 pilot having to fly all sorts of missions through out the War and I must have played it for hours. Now as a result of this little write up I have spend at least an hour on youtube reliving my childhood. At any rate, figure looks good and now I am probably going to drop $20 on the remastered version of Wings.

On the other end of the spectrum Bravo is the cool Fighter Jet character in the movie. Being a kid of the 80's, I have developed a certain reverence for all things military and Jets are particularly cool to me. Top Gun, GI Joe and the seekers from Transformers all cultivated this love so buying this guy was inevitable. The figure itself is based on a Boeing F18 fighter with the typical "world of Cars/Planes" aesthetic of having a face/head in place of the cockpit; In Bravos case it's a full on flight helmet. A nice feature, that is not on the other Planes toys is that the front wheel can fold up while in "flight mode". It's a small extra, but helpful nevertheless.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:29 PM   #49
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 07-15-2015, 12:13 AM   #50
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Hasbro: Marvel Infinite Series- Death's Head

Not being much of a Marvel guy I was unaware Death's Head connection to the Transformer series, but given the loose connection I thought I would pick him up on impulse. My first run in with the character was from a Marvel UK comic called Black Axe #1. Back in the day I used to collection comics and would gravitate to #1's of any given series. I don't recall much of the book and missed that it was apparently the second version of Death's Head, so I guess he didn't leave much of an impression. Regardless, I can see how a Cybernetic Bounty Hunter would fit in with the comic universe Transformer series.

The figure itself is pretty nice. I really like the detail in the head sculpt and has a decent amount of articulation that is typical of these 3 3/4" figures. He also sports 2 moulded clothing items. There is a cape/shoulder set that, while looks decent, is pretty disappointing as it doesn't clip in to anywhere There is even moulded sections on the breast plate, but but nothing to tab in so it just kinda sits there. The hip skirt works, but acts more to limit the articulation. Not sure what the designers where thinking, but I see it more and more with figures of this size. Why have hip joints and cool moulded accessories if they just cancel each other out? *le sigh*

He comes with 2 hand to hand combat weapons, a Mace and an Axe, as well as a little forearm shield. Apparently the shield can be used to store the weapons on his back, but I can get it to fit properly. It doesn't matter as he looks better holder them anyways.

Pros: Nice face sculpt, good articulation, obscure character and cool accessories that can all be held at the same time.

Cons: Moulded cape hinders said cool articulation and cape accessory is not secure to the body.

I don't have much context for this picture, but given Marvel is now owned by Disney maybe Deaths Head had to change from hunting Transformers?