ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 12-07-2015, 11:03 PM   #81
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here

Hasbro- Transformers Combiner Wars; Powerglide

Powerglide has seen a lot of love over the past few years with multiple figures that just don't quite get it right which is strange considering the G1 version is supper basic. However, this new Combinder Wars version does a decent job of updating the character while keeping up the look of the original. The only draw back it that the plane mode suffers of bit due to not having any firm peg points and relies heavily on the joints holding it in place somewhat like the old Beast Wars figures did. It would have also been nice if they included a weapon, but as his third mode is basically a gun for the Combiner Superion I suppose its fine without.

Standing him up to his movie verse counterpart really illustrates the design changes over the last few years and the difference is pretty staggering. Truthfully I like the Movie verse vehicle mode better, but the CW version has the superior robot mode. All and all a nice homage to a iconic G1 Character.

Pros: Nice G1 Homage, 3rd mode is weapon for Combiner.

Cons: No weapons, Alt mode relies on friction joints rather than solid tabs.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:34 AM   #82
Robimus
Super Moderator

One of my favorite figures. I like the look and scale.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:20 AM   #83
SanMiguel
Agent of Shield
SanMiguel's Ebay Auctions

Closest thing to the G1 reminiscent.
SanMiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #84
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
One of my favorite figures. I like the look and scale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
Closest thing to the G1 reminiscent.
Agreed, I think is sufferes a bit with the inclusion of the 3rd mode, but as a homage to G! it does pretty well.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:12 AM   #85
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Funko- The Legacy Collection: The Rocketeer

In a world were all the current movies and TV shows are pre-existing properties, it is surprising to me that the Rocketeer has never been tapped for a reboot, sequel or even Netflix mini series. Truthfully it hits all the right beats: super hero themes, high flying iconic characters and even a Nazi punching lead character. It's like if Star Wars and Indiana Jones had a baby. That said, while I think there is potential here, It's probably best to keep it buried as the remakes never seam to capture the charm of the originals.

The figure itself comes with 2 heads (iconic helmet and helmet-less) as well as the his German lugar pistol. I had originally thought the jet pack to be removable, but it is actually permanently glued on. The articulation is typical for a figure this size, but it would have been cool if they could have allowed a better neck joint to look back while he is flying.

Overall is it certainly a unique addition to my collection and I love the fact a relatively obscure Character, from a older movie can still see some love in toy form.

As an added bonus I crafted a home stand from a clothes hanger and a base from flower foam.

Pros: Good likeness, decent overall articulation

Cons: Could have had better neck articulation, a stand would have been nice to achive flight look.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #86
DanM
Aquanaut

Cool figure!
Not to nitpick, but the pistol is actually a Mauser- still German though!
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #87
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Doh! I actually gave myself a mental note to look that up before posting. Megatron was a lugar, right?
Old 12-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #88
DanM
Aquanaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
Doh! I actually gave myself a mental note to look that up before posting. Megatron was a lugar, right?
No, Megatron was a Walther P38. Luger looks like this:
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #89
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Ha! I feel like I should have known that...
Old 12-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #90
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Takasa/Tomy MP21 Bumblebee

Bumblebee here is the last of my KO purchases (except the Cassettes) for a little while and for the most part he is as excellent as the others. Unfortunately I think his size does him a disservice when compared to the other MP cars, but still works in Robot Mode (which is what I only care about). As a long time collector it is also interesting how VW finally gave up the licensing for a "war based toy"; perhaps the overwhelming success of the movies had a hand in negotiations. I would have still liked to see this Bumblebee in the movies though.

I also had a bit of an accident while Installing one of the mirrors and ended up breaking it right off. Nothing that some glue wouldn't fix, but stupid given that I was my own fault to begin with.

He comes with a nice little hand gun, an additional face (that doesn't look much different) and his wheel cover. Bumblebee is packaged with his human companion Spike and while is a nice touch, I really couldn't care less as I have always hated that stupid Cy-Kill wannabe exo-suit. Even as a kid I could see how silly that suit was and the worst part is that at the time, there was literally no blue print to follow; they could have done ANYTHING. A wasted opportunity for sure that was soon rectified by the Headmasters and Targetmasters soon after.

Hopefully they will eventually re-tool the mould for a Cliffjumper release and maybe instead of Spike, they could include his big ass rocket launcher from the first episode.

Pros: Finally a VW Beetle, fun transformation, Includes Spike (if you like that kidda thing)

Cons: Has KO quirkiness.