ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 06-01-2020, 10:01 PM   #621
DanM
Aquanaut
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Colin Farrell. Although it would have been interesting to see Firth's take on Bullseye.
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:22 PM   #622
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post
Colin Farrell. Although it would have been interesting to see Firth's take on Bullseye.
Hahaha!! Bullseyes, makith man.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:50 PM   #623
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

377-2
Hasbro- Transformers Prime: Ultra Magnus.

So here’s a funny thing that might surprise a few people: I prefer Ultra Magnus over Optimus Prime. I think it has to do with the fact that I never really had much of a connection to Optimus Prime, even before he died. Of course that could have changed if I had a toy of him as a kid, but I was all about the background characters. That's not to say that I liked the G1 version of Magnus, as I didn’t have him either, but I certainly started to appreciate him from the early 2000’s RID series that featured Ultra Magnus as a powerful warrior with a somewhat tumultuous past. If I recall the story properly, Magnus was a brother to Optimus and only after they buried the hatched did they unlock the ability to combine together to take on much bigger threats. I am a big fan of both the character and the toy and have continued this with every new iteration with another high point coming from the Transformers Animated version that carries through to this Prime version.

Pros: I really need to revisit Transformers Prime as I am really interested in how Ultra Magnus was portrayed. Regardless, I really like the overall look of Magnus in both modes. The robot mode captures the Prime look fairly well and has a decent amount of articulation allowing for a number of poses. The transformation is fairly typical for a “truck style” figure and is not too easily or difficult. He also comes with a massive hammer/gun that can convert to his hook assembly in truck mode.

Cons: Unfortunately the joints in robot mode are quiet loose and he has a hard time holding any poses. Also, while I love the gigantic weapon, he can’t hold it up at all.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:50 PM   #624
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 06-03-2020, 02:25 PM   #625
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

378-2
Takara Tomy- Transformers Masterpiece: MP-13 Soundwave & Laserbeak

I’ve talked before how there are certain toys that I can actually remember buying or receiving and the original Soundwave from my youth is one of those figures. That could be because it was fairly rare for me or my brother to get a toy “just because” and was typically reserved for special occasions. I was very young, probably around 6-7 and we were visiting my Grandma’s house, likely for my birthday when I received the Soundwave/BuzzSaw set and I was elated. This was only my 2nd Transformer (Jetfire being my first) and it was a good one to boot. Sicn ehtat time I have had a very strong affinity to the character making the pickup of the MP figure all the more special.

Pros: Seriously? Everything. I don’t normally find value in super high end toys, but this Soundwave 100% lives up to the line Masterpiece and I am so pleased to have him in my collection.If you are a fan and have the funds to pick him up, I highly recommend it.

Cons: What is there to hate? Soundwave is a thing of beauty, but if I was forced to say something, it would be that in Tape Deck mode his gun does not fit very well on his back; but honestly that is it.

Old 06-03-2020, 02:25 PM   #626
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 06-04-2020, 03:51 PM   #627
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

379-2
Disney Infinity 3.0- Disney Classics: Alice

Rating of worst to best of the a the Pixar movies continued; see review 205-2, 219-2, 231-2, 240-2, 264-2, 270-2, 285-2, 292-2, 297-2, 303-2, 313-2, 320-2, 325-2, 333-2, 341-2, 347-2, 360-2 & 374-2 for the previous instalments:

2. Toy Story 2

It is interesting how some movies can have a lasting effect on a person. I’ve heard that after watching Jaws some people refused to go in the ocean, or after seeing Indiana Jones that some people decided to become archaeologists or even after seeing Fight Club, some middle aged teenage boys from the suburbs thought they were really hard done by. For me, that movie was Toy Story 2. Not nearly as cool, but life is funny that way. I was 20 years old when Toy Story 2 was released in theaters and had already been “collecting” toys for 4 year by that point. I was mainly focused on Star Wars, but started to pick up the odd other toy (McFarlane, Lego and Small Soldiers to name a few) that caught my fancy. And while I’m not 100% sure that I would have stopped collecting if I didn’t see it, It certainly didn’t make me want to stop, even 21 years later.
Now I can’t recall the build up to Toy Story 2, but I do remember being floored after seeing it. Sure toy collecting was a thing, but it was never really the subject of a feature film; I mean, normally the toys are based on the movie, not the basis of the movie. And while Al, the evil toy collector, was not shown in a particularly positive light, I did feel a certain affinity to his excitement after he found Woody at the yard sale. All us toy collectors know the feeling of finding something special that you have been looking for a long time. Outside of that, I still find the overall story quite fun and endearing and still think it holds up as one of Pixar’s best.

Pros: I have very little attachment to the live action Alice in Wonderland movie, but will again recommend people checking out the sequel Alice: Through the Looking Glass as it was pretty fun. That said, I think they did an AMAZING job on this Infinity Alice sculpt as it blends both the live action character and the cartoony look that Infinity was known for.

Cons: While I love the sculpt, I’m not sure that it is descript enough to really suggest that this is Alice from Alice In Wonderland fame. Maybe more like a Disney-bounding or a Cosplay situation.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:05 PM   #628
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

380-2
Hasbro- Transformers Generations: Thundercracker

Funny thing about this character. Way back in 2006 Starscream was released as part of the uber popular Classics line. Naturally, collectors wanted to expand their seeker collection immediately and Hasbro acquiesced to the fans desires, but pulled a sneaky on us when they opted to release Thundercracker, and other major characters, as part of a Botcon exclusive set in 2007 and I was pissed! I had been missing out on stupid exclusives for years and honestly think it is the WORST part of Toy Collecting. Thankfully, and not surprisingly, they eventually released the rest of the seekers, albeit years later and even years after that he will finally get to join his buddy on the shelf. It's just too bad that I waited so long as the mold doesn’t really hold up *SHRUG*

Pros: For a long time this was the best seeker mold as it offered a nice G1 look in both modes, a good amount of articulation and a fun transformation.

Cons: Two of my biggest issues are that in jet mode his undercarriage is boxy and just kind of open as it forms his chest in robot mode. Additionally his arm movement interferes with his back wing assembly and could have been on a hinge to allow for a better range of movement.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:05 PM   #629
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 06-09-2020, 06:09 PM   #630
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

381-2
Disney Toy Box- Star Wars: C3P-O & R2-D2

Rating of worst to best of the Star Wars movies continued; see reviews 215-2, 218-2, 221-2, 241-2, 245-2, 247-2, 266-2, 272-2, 293-2, 299-2, 321-2, 327-2, 348-2, 352-2, 354-2 & 375-2 for the previous instalments:

6. Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
The Ugly- For The Last Jedi, this shouldn’t be too much of a surprise, but I will start with some not so obvious things that I thought were bad, Firstly was how they used BB-8. The inclusion of droids in the Star Wars universe is typically a good thing and I loved BB-8 in The Force Awakens, but they just went a bit too far in TLJ. I was annoyed with his multiple arm/stop the leak schtick in Poe’s X-Wing, somewhat perturbed by his coin shooting action on Canto Bight and finally done after he quite literally took the controls of the AT-ST to save Rose and Finn. I know it was played for humor, but it just got to be far too silly for my tastes.
And on the topic of humor, I thought Poe’s opening telephone/mom joke with Hux was a terrible way to start the movie. I feel that a movie like Star Wars should be free of modern vernacular that we would use in our daily lives and it took me out of the story right from the jump. I’m not saying that this would have saved the movie, but certainly would have been a better start.
Lastly and probably not surprisingly, the “Leia Poppins” scene could go down as the most ridiculous looking Star Wars scene in all 11 movies…and that is including when Luke milked that thing. It is important to note that the actual reason why it happened is reasonable: Leia unconsciously using the force to save herself, but something about how it was shot just looked hilariously bad.
Pros: Hard to find a pair in current pop culture who is more iconic than C3P-O and R2-D2 and I am glad that Toy Box opted to release these two guys together. It’s difficult to tell which movie era these guys are designed from, but given 3P-O has all the same colour appendages, I would gather either ROTJ or ROTS; but I could be wrong as my knowledge of droid colouration is a bit rusty. In any case this is a fantastic set and a must for any fan as it would be a perfect addition to any work or home office as they both look great in the Infinity style. Outside of that C3P-O has an insane amount of articulation and can make some pretty surprising poses; probably more than any other 3P-O figure that I have ever had, and definitely more than Anthoney Daniels himself.
Cons: Even though I like these two, I feel that Disney is asking a bit too much. I realize that it’s a pair, but Artoo is not much more than a basic figure and there are no other accessories included. It's still a decent value, but still irksome.