ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
Robimus
Super Moderator
Robimus's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 4,833
Star Wars Black Collection Sandtrooper Review

The Star Wars Black Collection is out in Canada in both the regular 4 inch scale and the new 6 inch scale. I had the oppurtunity to get a couple of these figures this past weekend and though I'd post up my thoughts.

I'm very much someone who is on the fence when it comes to the new 6 inch scale of figures, and likely still am even though I now have a couple in my collection. I find the price point too high and the concept of a new scale unattractive after having collected the 4 inch scale since the late 70's.

It isn't the first time Star Wars has tried a different scale of course but I never really got into the 12 inch scale at any point.

So I'm willing to give it a try, here are my thoughts on the new 6 inch Sandtrooper - and they are largely positive.

So here he is, TK -2013 himself. THe first thing I noticed taking him out of the box was the attention to detail on this guy. Little things like creases in his shoulder pad really stood out in a positive way.





For those of us interested in army building this guy can also scratch that itch a little. All of his armor is removable, which breaks him down to the look of a regular Stormtrooper with slightly dirty armor of course.



This guy has a lot of articulation, as was promised by Hasbro. The head(also detachable) is very easy to pose and give all of those quirky looks that Stormtroopers, or others in Stormtrooper armor give.

The concept of the removable head going forward is also something that Hasbro could do a lot with. I personally would like to see add on kits of some sort. I don't want to spend(and won't spend) $25 on a "Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper armor"

I would however consider buying a special add on kit at some point that features the heads of Luke, Han, Wedge, Biggs and more. They likely won't go this route, and seperate packaging of those characters as Stormtroopers would hold appeal for army builders of course.





Back to the articulation. This guy is possable enough to one day ride a Dewback, though sitting in a Landspeeder might be a challenge. His ankles are articulate enough to have him dance ballet and his shoulder, arm, elbow and wrist joints give a lot of flexibility.

I couldn't recreate the scene of the lead Sandtrooper marching through the back alleys of Mos Eisley with his concussion rifle resting across the front of his body(held in place by one hand) though - so it isn't yet perfect.

The joints are also very well hidden, almost invisible due to the armored nature of Stormtroopers. One of my mian complaints is that there is nowhere for him to harness his standard issue Stormtrooper blaster, so I kinda jam it into his backpack.



All and all he is an extremely solid figure. I will likely collect these in a very selective way, getting my favorite version of each character I really enjoy. That said they are already starting with the multiple Luke Skywalkers - so I think I will wait for the ROTJ version of him as opposed to getting everyone like Luke is a Pokemon
__________________
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Scrapper6
Cylon Centurion
Scrapper6's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 428
Re: Star Wars Black Collection Sandtrooper Review

I'm thinking of being selective too with this line, so far my main interest is Wave 2 Slave Leia, but I'm thinking I'll get Maul, Fett and the Sandtrooper and leave out the rest as, like you, I'm more interested in the 3 3/4'' line. And most of the Black Series of that scale is highly impressive.

It's nice to see some pics of this guy though, haven't seen these in person yet.
Scrapper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
FETT1
Agent of Shield
FETT1's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WesTern CANADA
Posts: 331
Talking Re: Star Wars Black Collection Sandtrooper Review

GREAT REVIEW...Question please.

How does he stand with all the weight on his back?


I find my FETT is a little back heavy ..forcing him to stand tilted forward to allow him to balance / stand.

.Still a COoL figure ...great idea about attachment set's...But we all know HAS... will never go that route !..

thxs
FETT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #4
Robimus
Super Moderator
Robimus's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 4,833
Re: Star Wars Black Collection Sandtrooper Review

He is a little back heavy with the backpack on, but the flexibility in the ankles makes it work.

In the pictures I took of him he's completely free standing, not leaning on anything or something like that.
__________________
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
FETT1
Agent of Shield
FETT1's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WesTern CANADA
Posts: 331
Re: Star Wars Black Collection Sandtrooper Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
He is a little back heavy with the backpack on, but the flexibility in the ankles makes it work.

In the pictures I took of him he's completely free standing, not leaning on anything or something like that.
MANY THANKS
FETT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
Morg
Clonetrooper
Morg's Ebay Auctions
Morg's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 237
Re: Star Wars Black Collection Sandtrooper Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
The Star Wars Black Collection is out in Canada in both the regular 4 inch scale and the new 6 inch scale. I had the oppurtunity to get a couple of these figures this past weekend and though I'd post up my thoughts.

I'm very much someone who is on the fence when it comes to the new 6 inch scale of figures, and likely still am even though I now have a couple in my collection. I find the price point too high and the concept of a new scale unattractive after having collected the 4 inch scale since the late 70's.

It isn't the first time Star Wars has tried a different scale of course but I never really got into the 12 inch scale at any point.

So I'm willing to give it a try, here are my thoughts on the new 6 inch Sandtrooper - and they are largely positive.

So here he is, TK -2013 himself. THe first thing I noticed taking him out of the box was the attention to detail on this guy. Little things like creases in his shoulder pad really stood out in a positive way.





For those of us interested in army building this guy can also scratch that itch a little. All of his armor is removable, which breaks him down to the look of a regular Stormtrooper with slightly dirty armor of course.



This guy has a lot of articulation, as was promised by Hasbro. The head(also detachable) is very easy to pose and give all of those quirky looks that Stormtroopers, or others in Stormtrooper armor give.

The concept of the removable head going forward is also something that Hasbro could do a lot with. I personally would like to see add on kits of some sort. I don't want to spend(and won't spend) $25 on a "Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper armor"

I would however consider buying a special add on kit at some point that features the heads of Luke, Han, Wedge, Biggs and more. They likely won't go this route, and seperate packaging of those characters as Stormtroopers would hold appeal for army builders of course.





Back to the articulation. This guy is possable enough to one day ride a Dewback, though sitting in a Landspeeder might be a challenge. His ankles are articulate enough to have him dance ballet and his shoulder, arm, elbow and wrist joints give a lot of flexibility.

I couldn't recreate the scene of the lead Sandtrooper marching through the back alleys of Mos Eisley with his concussion rifle resting across the front of his body(held in place by one hand) though - so it isn't yet perfect.

The joints are also very well hidden, almost invisible due to the armored nature of Stormtroopers. One of my mian complaints is that there is nowhere for him to harness his standard issue Stormtrooper blaster, so I kinda jam it into his backpack.



All and all he is an extremely solid figure. I will likely collect these in a very selective way, getting my favorite version of each character I really enjoy. That said they are already starting with the multiple Luke Skywalkers - so I think I will wait for the ROTJ version of him as opposed to getting everyone like Luke is a Pokemon
*
Well written, thanks for that... just grabbed my own this afternoon and quite excited about it. Since Sideshow Collectible stuff is just not in the budget for me, I've decided that this line will form the crux of my new 'shelf-porn'.

At first I just thought the R2 would be a fun size to adorn my desk without cluttering it up, but I can see the temptation to adjust my collecting of this series from selective, to completionist in a bloody hurry... not an astonishing degree of detail in these, but they're definitely the Marvel Legends of Star Wars.
__________________
I flip toys and occasionally buy doubles of chase figs when I track them down, but I always set fair prices for the good of the hobby - I'm not a fucking mercenary.
Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
Hantei
Master of the Universe
Hantei's Avatar
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,712
Re: Star Wars Black Collection Sandtrooper Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
For those of us interested in army building this guy can also scratch that itch a little. All of his armor is removable, which breaks him down to the look of a regular Stormtrooper with slightly dirty armor of course.

Nooo, I wish you didn't do that! Now I want one, haha. Cool to see that it's all removable like the 3.75" figure from it's respective Vintage wave. Like you, and many others here, I'll be selective in the collecting of this scale as well. Though, army building stormtroopers at this scale could be fun.

Bespin Luke should have been apart of wave 1!
Hantei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
Morg
Clonetrooper
Morg's Ebay Auctions
Morg's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 237
Re: Star Wars Black Collection Sandtrooper Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantei View Post
Nooo, I wish you didn't do that! Now I want one, haha. Cool to see that it's all removable like the 3.75" figure from it's respective Vintage wave. Like you, and many others here, I'll be selective in the collecting of this scale as well. Though, army building stormtroopers at this scale could be fun.

Bespin Luke should have been apart of wave 1!
Bespin Fatigues for the win... trumps ROTJ Luke imho
__________________
I flip toys and occasionally buy doubles of chase figs when I track them down, but I always set fair prices for the good of the hobby - I'm not a fucking mercenary.
Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
FlightWeaponAlpha
Cobra Trooper
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 151
Send a message via Skype™ to FlightWeaponAlpha
Re: Star Wars Black Collection Sandtrooper Review

Awesome review Robimus, thanks for doing this. I still need to open my series one guys, but haven't had the time and may possibly not want to share with my 4 year old daughter....
This has me super excited about this guy.
FlightWeaponAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
black, sandtrooper

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Action Figure Shopping
Toys on eBay.ca!
Action Figures
ENTERBAY 1/6 SCALE BRUCE LEE 75th ANNIVERSARY GAME OF DEATH LIMITED EDITION 2017
Action Figures
HOT TOYS 1/6 SCALE STAR WARS PRINCESS LEIA A NEW HOPE FIGURE SET MMS 298
Action Figures
STAR WARS Black Series 40th Anniversary Complete Set + Rare R5-D4 + LandSpeeder
Action Figures
Vintage Princess of Power CRYSTAL CASTLE Playset - Sealed
Action Figures
Vintage Visionaries CRYOTEK Spectral Knights Action Figure - Sealed

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:26 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.