ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 12:14 PM   #251
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

127-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Hawkeye

My view of Hawkeye has gone from indifference, to mild annoyance, to somewhat interested finally landing on liking him; something that can be fully credited to his role in the MCU and his recent solo comic. I enjoy the fact that he fully aware that he has no super powers yet is fighting side by side with super humans and Gods, but is still able to make a difference. I’m certain that there is a lesson in there somewhere.

I also had been recently revisiting the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon where he plays a major role and I also have come to appreciate his wisecracking and otherwise poor attitude. Surly the character archetype is nothing new, but I feel like it just works. I also like this original costume better than his modern, if only for its goofiness.

Pros: Fantastic sculpt and details on his costume and tunic. Nice accessories with standard great Marvel Legend articulation.

Cons: Would be nice if he could hold his bow a bit better.

Last edited by Team Jetfire; 08-30-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #252
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

128-2
Disney Infinity 3.0- Marvel: Antman

I’m not even kidding when I say that this could be my favorite Disney Infinity figure as it is a perfect example of why they were so great. Yes, the sculpt is perfect for the character, but the little details, including a translucent mask where you can almost see his eyes and that his base is a big Phillips head screw showing that he's shrunken down, really shows that the designers were really loving what they were doing.

Pros: Great sculpt, fantastic details and part of a great movie.

Cons: Part of a cancelled series.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #253
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

129-2
Hasbro- GI Joe- Techno-Viper

Look, I’m not taking sides, but Cobra really has won the war on style as the design for the Techno-Vipers is pretty fantastic, especially considering these guys basically amount to construction workers / heavy duty mechanics. Techno-Viper was one of those figures that my brother had so I was never really able to play with him, but I always appreciate the design… purple jumpsuit and all.

I’m always game for a redo of a classic character so when I saw this guy as part of the more “animated’ Renegades I was perplexed, but totally sold on sight. I know that this might be an unpopular opinion, but I really wish that Hasbro could upscale these figures to 6” Black Series style figure; just think how great it would be!

Pros: A nice update to a classic figure with a great sculpt, cool accessories and good articulation.

Cons: Nothing except that they certainly don’t make them like this anymore.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #254
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

130-2
Funko- Disney Afternoons- Talespin: Baloo.

I was eleven when Tailspin was released; pretty well the perfect age and demographic for the Disney afternoon cartoon block and as a television loving kid, I soaked them all up. In fact, I don’t think that it would be stretch to say that my current love for all things Disney is partly due to shows like Tailspin, so when I saw that Funko had finally taken a break from “Pop-ing” every obscure cultural reference that they can think of, to make something worthy of that plastic, I pre-ordered right away. For those not aware, Tailspin was a different take on the classic Jungle Book characters where they lived in a “Zootopia” type world without humans. Baloo ran a struggling Air transport company, with help from Rebecca his uptight manager, her precocious daughter, a trouble making runaway cub named and even had King Louie as a local restaurant owner. I can’t really recall the specifics of the story lines, but I do know that if had something to do with Shear Khan being a typical bad guy capitalist and the crew trying to foil his plans. If you aren't familiar with the show the intro is something special and gives a good idea as to the hijinks that awaits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tKHlukQTik

Pros: The sculpting is really well done and looks like he stepped right out of the cartoon, decent amount of possibility.

Cons: The articulation on the legs is a bit weak and I wish he came with an accessory of some sort.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #255
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

131-2
Disney Store- Toy Box- Star Wars: Rey.

It's tough to gauge how everyone feels about these figures, but judging on how they keep getting made its safe to say that they are somewhat popular? I’m a bit biased because I takes two things that I love, Disney and articulated action figures and mashes them together, but I truly think that it fills a need that is out there. Sure Hasbro has done a decent job for the most part in producing Marvel and Star Wars figures, but unless you are wanting to drop $30 bucks for a Marvel Legend/black series or waste $10 for a shampoo bottle then your options are fairly limited. However enter the Toy Box figures and you get something that even the big companies are unable to do: produce popular figures with good likeness, decent articulation and have them scaled correctly together all for an affordable price point? Sounds like a winner to me.

Pros: Big fan of Rey and love that they were able to capture he look from The Force Awakens in this stylized form with really nice costume details and a nice face sculpt.

Cons: As with some of the other Star Wars Toy Box figures the poseability is somewhat hindered by the costume.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #256
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

132-2
Hasbro- Star Wars- Star Wars Unleashed: Darth Vader

So here is a fun little collectible. Back in 2002, after Attack of the Clones, Hasbro released a series of highly detailed status of some of the iconic characters of the time. The series actually lasted longer than I thought and and had a fairly impressive lineup when all was said and done, but not well received (by me anyways) given the prohibitive price point (I feel like they were around the $25 range) and the fact that I didn’t collecte statues. Now it's not something that I would ever go back and collect, but some of the figures are really beautiful and would look great on a desk or shelf; seriously check them out. .

As I said, I was not interested in them, that is until a shipment of them showed up at either Toys R Us or Wal-Mart which had a glaring factory error that omitted the Star Wars Unleashed Logo on the packaging, basically leaving a blank card. Again, I can't recall how much this figure was and I’m not sure how long it sat on store shelves, but I eventually picked it up years ago and held onto it all this time.

Pros: Really amazing sculpt of one of the most iconic characters of all time in a dynamic pose right out of Empire Strikes Back

Cons: It's a statue.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #257
Robimus
Super Moderator

Star Wars Unleashed figures were really awesome.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #258
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Star Wars Unleashed figures were really awesome.
I don't think I appreciated the sculpt and detail that they all featured, but looking back I'm surprised that I didn't bite on more. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but they were around the $25 mark? That seamed like a lot at the time... funny how that works.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #259
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

133-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Dark of the Moon: Guzzle

I love Guzzle, not necessary for the figure (its average at best) but for what he represents: the filler figure. I’ve mentioned it before, but it is worth repeating. I was pretty fortunate when growing up and received my fair share of toys, but it was never the main characters like Optimus or Duke only the background figures like Jetfire and Gung Ho, so I had come to appreciate them in their own way. I’d like to think that Guzzle is some kids favorite figure only because that is what his parents were able to get for him at the time.

Pros: Nice little figure with both decent robot and vehicle mode and the extra weapons are a nice touch.

Cons: A little small for a tank, has some gangally appendages and the turret doesn’t move.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #260
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

001-R
Kenner- Star Wars- Power of the Force: Obi Wan (Long Saber)
Release Date (approx): 1995
Current Price and availability: $9.99
https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Obi.../dp/B001RE11XI

In an effort to keep things interesting with these reviews I thought it might be fun to start a series of RETRO reviews of some of my more memorable figures that I have acquired throughout the 21 years of activity collecting. I’ll keep it to Thursday posts, but given my current streak I wouldn't count on it. If instagram is your thing, feel free to follow me @ teamjetfire . Pretty well the same thing, but I do a little 360 degree videos and include the odd Disney post too. I’m not going to provide a whole lot of history on each item because I just don’t have that kind of time, but will write more my own experience with the piece; hope you enjoy!

It’s not too often that a person can pinpoint the moment when something changed their life, but I feel that this figure represents something that has been the longest, most consistent thing in my existence to date: toy collecting. That might sound a bit crazy (and it is), but consider this: toy collecting predates my career (15 years), my kids (eldest is 17) and even my relationship with my wife (whom I started dating in High School over 20 years ago). I suppose some of the blame lies with my brother who gifted Obi-Wan, along with the POTF Tie Fighter for Christmas to me all the way back in 1995. At that time Star Wars had faded away from pop culture (save a few devoted fans) and when this toy line was released it ignited a bit of a passion for Star Wars and toy collecting in general. I stayed true to Star Wars for a long time but eventually branched out ot other flavors, but will always have a soft spot for this figure and remember fondly this time in my life.

Pros: It was my first collectable figure ever and started my hobby, has a decent face sculpt and I like Jedi robe effect with the soft rubber tunic.

Cons: Was part of the fabbelled long saber crew, only 5 points of articulation and has a really difficult time standing up.