ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 12:54 AM   #151
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinga View Post
I bought the Buzz Lightyear in this range. Pretty surprised by the articulation. Nice sculpt.
Yeah, I got him coming up. The cloak on Kylo somewhat hinders him.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:17 AM   #152
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

058-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Absorbing Man

The Absorbing Man wave was the first completed Marvel Legends set that I caught all at once from an online retailer. I paid a bit of a premium for it because it was being shipped from the United States and as such I had the brilliant idea to sell the completed build-a- figure because I was not interested in keeping him in the collection… or so I thought. However, the more pictures I saw of him in others collections the more I felt that I made a mistake by selling him off. So, when I had a chance to pick him up for cheaper than what I sold him for I jumped on the chance. Now that he is in-hand (again) I must say that it is very impressive and wonder why I didn’t keep him. Seriously, the figure is awesome; massive size, 2 pairs of different arms with elemental differences and two incredible head sculpts that just ooze character.

The only downside is the ball and chain weapon that comes with Spider Gwen as it has no paint or finish and looks cheap. This normally would not be an issue except that it is supposed to align with his metal arm making it seem like he ABSORBED its molecular properties. I suppose if I cared that much I could paint the ball and chain, but I’m not that vexed.

Pros: An overall great build-a-figure that has an imposing sculpt with nice features and accessories.

Cons: Cheap looking weapon and I’ll never like the build a figure sales model

Old 01-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #153
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

059-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Nick Fury or Dirk Anger or Shield Soldier.

If you were to complete a survey of current MCU fans asking who Nick Fury was I would bet you real money that this guy would not be it. Sure Samuel L Jackson has been a fantastic Fury, but people forget that David Hasselhoff was once the face of this character; no wonder they wanted to change him up a bit.

Additionally this figure comes with an equally unknown head sculpt in the form of Dirk Anger. Now, I thought I was fairly up-to-date and knowledgeable about the Marvel Universe but I could place this very obscure character, so I'm not sure if Hasbro should be commended or committed for this amazing release but I certainly appreciate it and would have gladly picked up the set from retail had I known it was such a unique character. Luckily I was able to pick him up at the same time as Absorbing Man and I'm quite pleased with all three heads including the random Shield Agent head. I'm glad that Hasbro is willing to take such risks with some of these releases that can really make some fans happy.

Pros: Three great head sculpts from very unique characters in the Marvel Universe

Cons: Mine has a floppy neck and I understand that Dirk Anger has a much different body type in his comic design.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:47 AM   #154
Wintermute
Master of the Universe

My Nick Fury had that floppy neck issue too.
Wintermute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #155
Hoffman
Agent of Shield

Nice looking figure, but it was not particularly well made.
Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:06 PM   #156
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
My Nick Fury had that floppy neck issue too.
Good to know that it's just not mine I suppose. Funny how on many of these ML figures that the joints are usually too stiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
Nice looking figure, but it was not particularly well made.
Yeah, it's alright and nice for old school Fury fans and army builders. I just wish they would release some AIM figures to match.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #157
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

060-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Combiner Wars: Air Raid

So I'm starting in on the second of my combiner wars figure this. I'm starting with the first option in the bunch which was air raid. I'm not sure how much difference and uniqueness between the scopes there's going to be between the various limbs of superior but so far I like what i've seen with this figure. I suppose I shouldn't expect much considering the G one counterparts were very similar in design for each leg or arm appendage, how many times can you create a different plane that turns into an arm or a leg. counterparts were very similar in design for each leg or arm appendage, how many times can you create a different plane that turns into an arm or a leg. I do appreciate the overall design of this figure as it incorporates 3 modes looks decent in all of them and has a good level of articulation. It is a bit of a mystery to me as to what type of jet he is though. The G1 version is certainly a F15, but this version has a swept wing look that the F14 is iconic for. Either way a black coloured Jet from the 80s is totally badass in my opinion. Overall I'm really pleased with this figure and look forward to the rest of his teammates.

Pros: looks good in all three modes and has great articulation allowing for a good range of motion.

Cons: As is typical with the Aerialbots the robot looks like he is wearing a jet fighter backpack.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #158
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

061-2
Disney Store- Star Wars Elite Series: Princess Leia

I'm no sculptor or toy designer, so I really should not judge, but is there something about Princess Leia, specifically this costume, that makes it impossible to get right? Way back in the nighties there was the first Power of the Force 3 ¾ Version that was actually called Monkey Face Leia in ToyFare magazine, then the first Black Series 6” had much of the same likeness issue and finally, this figure where the hair buns are way too wide, which a damn shame as the face is almost perfect… I did have reservations of picking up this figure, but as I mentioned before, The Disney Store was blowing these out for $25 and figured I would pick her up after her tragic passing.

Pros: Much like all the other Disney Store exclusives everything else on this figure is aces: great articulation, well designed soft goods and ideal accessories for the character. Love it!

Cons: Hair buns!

Old 01-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #159
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

061-2
Mattel- DC- The Dark Knight Returns: Carrie “Robin” Kelly.

***sigh***

I have professed my adoration for Frank Miller’s “The Dark Knight Returns” a few times in the past and Mattel does require some credit for producing comic accurate figures from the series, I just wish that they would have done a better job; especially for the cost of these.

I’ll start with the good: Sculpt wise she’s pretty well dead on right out of the comic.

The bad: The articulation is pretty weak as far as $30 figures go and she feels extremely fragile, almost like bending a knee will basically cause a break.

The ugly: The oversized single accessory hardly fits into her molded hand and looks completely ridiculous why you do manage to get her to hold it.

Like I said, while I appreciate that Mattel made some effort to release these figures, DC collectors deserve better for their money.

Pros: She has a decent sculpt.

Cons: An expensive price tag for what you get, feels fragile in hand, has outdated articulation and includes a lame accessory that she can barely hold on to.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:02 AM   #160
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

064-2
DC Collectibles- DC Bombshells: Harley Quinn.

I voiced my trepidations about the Bombshells franchise in my review for Wonder Woman and my opinions haven’t really changed; Long story short: the Bombshells are a good thing IMO.

Second in the line is the UBER popular Harley Quinn, who is fittingly pretty well at home under the Bombshells label. For the most part I appreciate the character of Harley and really enjoy the idea that a (relatively) new character in such a defined universe can still be sussed out. That said I feel like her cult level of fame has hit a peak level of fandom and as such becoming a bit too exposed (literally in some cases) for my tastes and I hope that they pump the brakes on her a bit. However, I believe that I heard some reports about a Harley-centric sequel to Suicide Squad, so i’m not so sure that less Harley is in our future.

Now my misgivings with the character aside, this figure is AMAZING. It really is a testament to how great DC Collectibles can be with all cylinders firing. Like Wonder Woman she’s a bit taller than your average Marvel Legend figure at around 6.75 inches, but suits the line and allows for lots of usable articulation. They did fairly well for accessories providing 6 hands, a nice sized mallet and an oversized hand gun. Where this figure shines is in details. Firstly the sculpting details are fantastic: Her jacket, belt and boots are outstanding for an action figure. Secondly, a small little thing, but she has these little sculpted Joker playing cards tucked in the top of her socks and lastly, on her hand gun there is a tiny little Batman keychain hanging from a loop. Such fantastic little details on a figure that cost around $32. Highly recommended for any fan of Harley, DC Comics or toys in general.

Pros: Great sculpt, nice accessories and fantastic little details.

Cons: Size class might be an issue for some fans.