ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 04-02-2018, 10:53 AM   #191
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

New round of reviews coming up!

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:54 PM   #192
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

083-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Dark of the Moon: Shockwave.

Dark of the Moon? Yep, I have a number of figures from two Transformer movies ago and figured it was time to crack them open. Before I get to Shockwave I just wanted to get a few things off my chest about the current state of Transformers and the toys.

A lot of people might take unbridge with this, but I feel that Hasbro is creatively bankrupt and are on a downslide in terms of the Transformers franchise. Obviously this is only my opinion, but I can’t imagine that I’m the only one who feels like this. Consider the following: The Generation 1 era lasted 8 years (1984 - 1992) with the cartoon spanning 3 (and a bit) seasons (1984 - 1987), The Generation 2 era was only 2 years (1992-1994) with minimal new toys and contents and then 2 years with nothing until Beast Wars (1996-1999), Beast Machines (1999-2001) and Transformers RID (2001-2002). In a span of 18 years we were gifted with so many different new and cool things in the Transformers mythos. For example, Optimus Prime started as a truck; then he died and transferred leadership to Ultra Magnus, but when he couldn’t cut it, transferred to Rodimus, just to be transferred back to Optimus at Rebirth. From there an Ape took over leadership of the team, but had a total crisis of faith and basically gave up and finally became a Fire Truck to somewhat come back full circle to his wheeled predecessor. And that doesn’t even count the Japanese series’ like the Headmasters where Chromedome was the leader, the Beast Wars 2 series where he was a Lion and finally my favorite in the Beast Wars Neo series where he was a frick’n WOOLY MAMMOTH. When you compare that diversity with the last 15 years (2003-present) it’s just the same thing over and over: Armada- red truck, Energon- red truck, Cybertron- red truck, Alternators- red pick-up truck, Classics- red truck, 5 blockbuster movies- 5 (basically the same) red trucks. Animated? Prime? RID? RED TRUCK! RED TRUCK!! RED TRUCK!!!

Don’t get me wrong, I can’t really blame Hasbro for sticking with what works, but as with other major corporations, they are only really interested in the tried and tested thing as they know it makes money; but how long can that really last? I think the current ‘Last Knight” offering has given Hasbro some food for thought in that the same thing, over and over, might not work and we as fans might get something cooler in return. That said, I just wish it was not a Bumblebee movie…

Ok, off my high horse. Shockwave was a cool edition to the Bay-verse and this design stays relatively true to his G1-self what with the arm cannon and single red eye. Transformation is fairly easy and intuitive and his Cybertronian vehicle mode, while not a gun, looks good. I’ll be honest and say that I can't really recall his characterization in the movie save him riding some large space worms though Chicago; but I seem to remember it being fairly destructive? I will also say that I’m not really sure what the rubber hose is for in robot mode as it doesn’t seem to reach anywhere. (edit: figured it out and feel dumb that I didn’t get it sooner)

Pros: A nice updated “Bay-Verse” Shockwave that has echoes of his G1 counterpart and a nice Vehicle Mode.

Cons: Some limited articulation in the arms and a hose that doesn't seem to do much.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:40 PM   #193
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

Please review Mr.Meseeks next lol
turtle power eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:27 PM   #194
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle power eh View Post
Please review Mr.Meseeks next lol
Oh NO, can't do!

He's one of the last, but there's so many cool figures before!
Old 04-03-2018, 11:59 AM   #195
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

084-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Combiner Wars: Skydive

Not much more to say about Skydive that I have not already said about Air Raid as they are almost identical. This is outside of a slight engineering change in the shoulders, so kudos to Hasbro for making them a bit different, rather than just a straight up repaint.

I don’t have much of a connection to his G1 counterpart, but I suppose it is a bit of bummer that his vehicle mode was changed from a real life F16 to a generic “fighter jet” that looks similar; I wonder if copyright laws have anything to do with it. In any case, as an appendage to a combiner he works for me.

Pros: Good appendage to a larger figure with just enough differences to make it worth while as an individual figure.

Cons: Somewhat generic vehicle mode is a departure from his G1 counterpart.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:55 AM   #196
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

085-2
Disney Store Elite Series- Jyn Erso

I have praised Rogue One a few times already, but I have to say that it only gets better with time. Sure there are some issues, but overall it really works well as a Star Wars story and one that more fans can agree on then The Last Jedi. I have also praised the past Disney Elite Series figures, but unfortunately this particular figure falls short of expectation. It appears as though the line was dropped from the Disney Store so there's a chance that the original care and detail found in the initial releases was somewhat lost on this later release. That said I think her mediocrity is more so a fluke than anything as there is is still a level of detail and care that care outweighs what the retail (and certainly sale) price was.

Pros: Really well produced soft goods with a nice amount of articulation and accessories.

Cons: The women in this line come with ‘doll type’ hair and can look really good (Rey) or bad (Leia) and Jyn lies somewhere in the middle. Yes the hair style is reminiscent of her look in the middle, but is also vaguely represents me, as a greasy skid (re: Nirvana fan) in the 90’s. I also have nothing by contempt for her rifle. Sure it looks cool, but falls apart if you look at it wrong. I also hate how her hands make it impossible to hold anything and how her right eye is a bit derpy.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:53 AM   #197
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

086-2
Mattel- Batman The Dark Knight Returns: Mutant Leader.

I’ve said it before: kudos to Mattel for producing figures based on the Dark Knight Returns mini series and while I have had some issues with past releases (Looking at you Carrie) this is a better representation of Batman’s main antagonist from the comic. Yes, the articulation is terrible for a 2016 release, yes small details (including pointy nips) are missing and yes it was WAY over priced ($30) at retail, but by golly if that is not one amazing head sculpt to make me forget about most of the above. I’m also not sure if the head spikes are comic accurate? I recently watched the DC Animated feature (highly recommended) and he had no head spikes so I’m not really sure what is accurate. In any case the figure has them, which is decidedly better.

Pros: A figure from a mini series that I love with an amazing head sculpt and decent accessories.

Cons: Embarrassing articulation for the time and an inflated price that only a collector could stomach.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #198
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

087-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Captain America

There are apparently 3 things that are required when designing a Captain America figure. 1. A physics defining vibranium shield that he expertly uses for both offence and defence. 2. An iconic red, white and blue costume that will always show his true colours and who he fights for 3. And a pair of extra hands: one chopping hand to karate chop any opposing force and one pointing figure hand to play the old ‘pull my finger’ trick that all old guys love to do. Ok, ok…one is probably for saluting and the other for pointing at Hulk for smashing commands, but why can't it be both?

This particular Capt should be based on Marvel cinematic universe Avengers movie (his uniform) but has a decidedly comic style head sculpt that looks ok for a comic style Captain America, but terrible for a Chris Evans. I'm also not so sure I love the armoured look of the suit. Yes, in real life it would seem reasonable that Capt would have some type of body protection, but it just somewhat throws the whole aesthetic off for me. (For the record I have the same issue with an overly armoured Batman, so it's not just Capt). It has been a while since I have seen The Avengers so I'm not sure that he has this level of armour either.

Pros: Nice looking MCU style Capt with nice shield, cool alt hands and comic style head sculpt.

Cons: Not a fan of the armoured uniform and I wish there was a good way to affix his shield to his back.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #199
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

088-2
DC Collectibles- Bombshells: Poison Ivy

Ok, a case can be made that Bombshells Wonder Woman was sexy but it was acceptable because she was a version of a ‘CAN DO!’ war effort girl, Bombshells Harley Quinn was sexy, but that was ok because she has always been showcased as a cute crazy girl and still is relatively covered up, but Poison Ivy is basically in a lingerie outfit that would make a modern man (or woman) blush and I went ahead and purchased a toy of her. Is it any different than the multiple Slave Leia’s that I have? Tough to say, but for the record I now feel weird about those in my collection as well.

Pros: Nice sculpt, great articulation and included accessories and certainly a must if you are a fan of the Bombshell series or a pervert in general.

Cons: It is a small miracle that I was able to pose her standing up without assistance. Some type of stand would have been welcome, even the horrendous ones from the animated series.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #200
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

089-2
Hasbro- The Black Series: Sandtrooper.

Oh man are these Black series figures every great; i can’t believe that I waited this long to open them up. I really hope that Hasbro will continue the trend with added focus on some of the older characters rather that the titlewave of characters from the new movies. To be clear, it’s not that I’m NOT a fan of the new movie, quite the opposite really, but a bit more debt from the prequels would be nice as a mix; like who would not buy a Jar Jar figure at this point?

When I first saw Star Wars (wasn’t really known by A New Hope just yet) I really loved the look of the Stormtroopers and was pretty enamored with any specialized on screen versions. Not sure why, but there's something about throwing an orange shoulder pad and a backpack to make a cool thing, even cooler.

Pros: An amazing figure from the first wave of the initial release of the Black Series figures. Great sculpt, comes with a removable backpack, three guns that he can almost hold convincingly and a usable amount of articulation.

Cons: The armor limits some of the movement, however Stormtroopers were never really know for a full range of movement.