ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 11-03-2023, 01:29 PM   #11
Canukle
Clonetrooper
Re: Hasbro Pulse Canada when?

I think it's simpler than that... The EU can have one that encompasses all of the EU because being the EU they don't have import tarrifs when within the EU. You can send to France from Belgium or whatever without paying duties - so the cost to ship is simpler and one warehouse can effectively cover all of the EU.

But to send from the US to CAN, there are duties. Hasbro eats the duties and puts it into the shipping price, but they would probably lose money if they offered free shipping from US to Canada. And setting up a retail distribution centre in Canada is probably too costly to make it worth it - even if they did it on the cheap by re-tooling their wholesale warehouse.

I doubt retail companies in Canada would have any more influence over Hasbro than an American company like Walmart or Target would have.
Canukle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 01:49 PM   #12
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

yup we arent worth the trouble and our currency sucks. they would have to increase prices on all the items to make up for it then tack on our ridiculous tax and shipping and youre almost paying as much if not as much as buying from hp america.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 02:06 PM   #13
Darth Cujo
Super Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
The quebec location is not what it used to be. It's shrunken significantly with its primary function as creating the packaging for various Hasbro products.

Hasbro Pulse will never come to Canada, the market is just too small. But honestly, your rant is more that products are expensive overall. That is fair and true, but none of that gets resolved with Pulse being in Canada. That would still be a $80-$90 product, plus standard taxes which are unavoidable. You'd pay a bit less on shipping, but it will still cost you since even in the US there is no free shipping threshold. That trouble bubble would still cost you around $115-$120 CAD.

Pulse being in Canada would be more helpful for the lower priced items, like the exclusive Chewie described above, since the shipping cost is flat rate. That's where it really stings.

Also, there is no conspiracy theory, we just arent worth the trouble.
This is a good point about overall pricing. That's not just Canadian thing, that affects all customers. It is just amplified when you get stuck paying high shipping and tax when things are already over-priced.

I also agree 100% with your last sentence! haha.

I mean, look at a place like entertainment earth. They charge stupid prices on shipping to Canada. It's by the value of the item rather than weight and size, etc. They also offer discounted or free shipping thresholds to Americans, but never to Canadians. It's because it's not worth the effort/cost to cater to us.
Darth Cujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 02:13 PM   #14
Darth Cujo
Super Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canukle View Post

But to send from the US to CAN, there are duties. Hasbro eats the duties and puts it into the shipping price, but they would probably lose money if they offered free shipping from US to Canada.
Again, there are no duties on toys. Ever. There are brokerage fees that shipping companies charge to cover the cost of them filling out a customs declaration form. It takes them two minutes. And Pulse probably already has that automated for Canadians at this point (like how they charge the tax). Most cases US companies don't want to do this due to either ignorance or laziness (that's my theory). At least Pulse does that for us and they don't charge a brokerage fee. It's probably built into the shipping cost.

Edit to add...
The drawback of course is you have to pay tax every single time you order. This happens with Amazon.com now too. They make you pay taxes up front. Sometimes in the past a package would slip through customs and you could get lucky and not have to pay. I hate that amazon.com now forces the payment up front. They say it makes it easier for you, but it has actually cost me more money. I used to be able to order up to about $100 worth of stuff from .com and not get hit with customs fees (brokerage and tax). Now you don't get that option.

Last edited by Darth Cujo; 11-03-2023 at 02:20 PM.
Darth Cujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 06:01 PM   #15
Robimus
Super Moderator

Canada is a market the size of California. It's not small, but does have the mentioned logistical issues.

Hasbro Pulse UK serves 67 million. Just shy of double the size of Canada.

As mentioned Hasbro does already have corporate housing in Canada. I believe Haslabs get imported and shipped from Quebec. Correct me if I'm wrong, I never have gotten a Haslab as yet myself, just heard that.

And Haslab shipping on the Dragonfly is around the same as shipping on a Flight Pod. So that's kinda weird as well.

Another weird thing, not Hasbro related - I've ordered items from Amazon.ca that start their tracking journey in the USA, but act as if shipped from within Canada. Not sure how that works other than Amazon having their own private entrance to the country.

A lot of mystery around how everything works.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 02:29 PM   #16
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Well this is an interesting turn of events.

Over on Cybertron.ca they were talking about the current sale on Pulse and someone mentioned they were offering free shipping to Canada (not just for Premium members).

I didn't want to believe it, but I checked and it is right there in the fine print for the sale. So I did an order, without finishing the purchase, and sure enough the shipping was free!!!!

Now you have to spend at least $75US (before taxes) for the free shipping, and the code is CYBER25 for the discount (CYBER35 for Premium).

So now might be the time to check out what they will offer. Right now it isn't a huge selection, but they do tend to add items over the days of the sale.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 03:45 PM   #17
nighthawk
Jedi Knight

Damn, too bad I've been charged for shipping for everything I wanted. Doesn't have to be the sale items either, it's giving us free shipping as long as we are above $75.
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 04:00 PM   #18
ghostlurk29
Mutant

Sweet! Omega Rangers are probably near what their Canadian retail price would have been.

Though I still hate Hasbro for releasing a Stunticon 5-pack, while Wild Rider is impossible to find individually.
ghostlurk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 05:09 PM   #19
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlurk29 View Post
Sweet! Omega Rangers are probably near what their Canadian retail price would have been.

Though I still hate Hasbro for releasing a Stunticon 5-pack, while Wild Rider is impossible to find individually.

Yeah the Stunticons are now basically Canadian retail price with the sale and no shipping.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 05:38 PM   #20
ghostlurk29
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
Yeah the Stunticons are now basically Canadian retail price with the sale and no shipping.
Probably $60-$80 cheaper than retail. Motormaster being a "Commander Class" really inflates the cost of buying them individually.
ghostlurk29 is offline   Reply With Quote