ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 02-08-2021, 08:55 PM   #861
WhenGeeksCollide
Cobra Trooper
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

I opened and reviewed the DC Multiverse Thomas Wayne Batman.
https://youtu.be/P1XRMbGXFhE
WhenGeeksCollide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:32 PM   #862
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

512-2
McFarlane Toys- Fortnite: Drift.

As one of the first figures in McFarlane’s Fortnite line, I almost missed out on Drift. Infact, given that I started so late, I don’t think I even knew that he was released until I saw him on the shelves of a less busy EB Games here in Calgary. Fine by me though as it's not very often that i’m surprised by something new on the toys shelves. I feel like Drift could be a bit of a fan favorite for his unique look and relative early release in this series, but as with all things Fortnite it's hard to say what is popular and what isn't.

Pros: It's funny, the things I like about Drift are also the things that cause most of my frustrations. Obviously we will start with the good: Like all Mcfarlane toys, the sculpt is very detailed and looks great from cat(?) mask down to high tops. His rifle is surprisingly accurate, making me think it was just taken from McFarlane's COD line and would surely make any Classified GI Joe fan very jealous. Also, some massive props have to be given for that keg pickaxe design as it is really detailed and looks very cool for what it is. Lastly the unicorn floaty is fine and I suppose counters the realizem of the rifle; it IS Fortnite afterall.

Cons: As noted, I like the sculpt, but not when it interferes with the articulation of a figure. Given that this is a McFarlane produced piece, I suppose I should be happy for ANY articulation, but the fact remains, one should complement the other, not detract. With that said, Drift is unable to really move his head, limiting some poses and the ability to aim that fancy rifle that he came with. Additionally, I love the look of the high-top kicks, but this limits access to the already finicky ball joint used for movement. The result is a figure that can look straight ahead, with feet about shoulder width apart, which I think we can all agree on, is not very fun. I’m giving Drift a bit of a pass given that he was one of the first figures produced and McFarlne has really impressed me on other figures since.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:39 PM   #863
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

513-2
Disney Toy Box- Disney Classics: Donald Duck and Goofy

I’m continuing my quest to watch and review the entire Disney Animation collection to date. See reviews 429-2, 434-2, 456-2 461-2 & 484-2 for previous entries.

Bambi
Release date: 1942

What can I really say about Bambi? Like Dumbo, it’s really a gut punch of a move and really does not paint humans in the best of light. It’s odd that a term like “virtual signaling” has only recently become popular, as it’s very clear that the idea of a company pandering to a social issue is not really new. At any rate, if you don’t want to watch Bambi (and I really don't blame you) it follows the life of a young fawn named Bambi from birth to adolescence to eventual adulthood. All of the characters are likable and the animation is quite stunning, but never really appreciated the story until watching it though again for this review. Sure, there are parts where it drags, but there are some legitimate scary and sad scenes that play out including the death of his mother at the hands of the hunters and the forest first that almost claims the life of him and his friends. Like I said, Banbi is not for everyone, but with a run time of 70 minutes it's worth a watch, if not to just feel a bit bad for being the biggest villain in their forest.

Pros: Oh heck yeah! Two classic Disney characters, who happen to both be my favorite Disney characters, in a two pack that was ON SALE!!! Boy O’ Boy and Gawrsh… what a lucky day indeed. Now why do I like these characters so much? Well, as with most things, for me it’s nostalgia. You see, when I was a young lad, my family did what many families do and took a trip with our family friends to Disneyland & Seaworld in California. This was primes 80’s time, so before the new age, but still a very magical trip, or so was told and can see through the yellowed, grainy pictures. As is traditional in most families, us kids (four boys- My Brother, Two friends and I) were allowed to pick one souvenir to remember the trip by. The two friends went with Shamu (who has since become somewhat of a political prisoner after the high profile documentary “Black Fish”) stuffed animals and I went with classic Donald and ever since then he has been one of my favorites. As for Goofy, it's not quite so nostalgic, but I’m a big fan of the “HOW TO” shorts and have left a big impact over the years.

So, I’m not going to bury the lead any further: I love both these figures and could both be contenders for my favorite figures of the year.

Cons: My only issue is that they both have the same waving hand. It’s a small thing, but it looks a bit funny when they are posed together.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #864
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 02-11-2021, 03:55 PM   #865
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

514-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Emperor Sheev Palpatine

The other day I turned on the holiday Star Wars movie marathon during the beginning of the final act of Episode 3, where Palpatine reveals that he is a Sith lord and kills Mace Windu, and I got to wonder: How did the galaxy treat people from Naboo after his rise to power as the Emperor. I suppose a few choice systems that supported the Empire would have treated people from Naboo with a lot of reverence and respect, but for the majority who saw the Empire for what is was, including the handful of Separatist systems, would likely hate the planet and its population by proxy, not unlike what we do during every war and terrorist action that we are involved in. And given that JarJar was the ultimate catalyst for his ability to stay in power, I’d say that the Gungan’s would be under even more scrutiny. I’m sure over time there would be some push back from the populace claiming to the galaxy things like “Not all Naboobians are dark lords of the Sith” and they would be right, but would be a very difficult point to get across given how terrible Palpatine was.

Pros: Honestly a bit difficult to get excited over an action figure of an old man. I mean, without any context as to who this guy is, it really just seems like an old dude that needs a cane to walk. Why is this fun again? That said, there are things I like including the detailed head sculpt and the soft goods cloak so it’s not all bad.

Cons: Even before his crazy antics were featured in EP 3, Palpatine was shown as having some very impressive powers, powers that should have been featured in this figure. Seriously , the omission of force lighting is a huge let down that could have taken a rather basic figure to the next level. Instead we get an old man figure that barely has the ability to bend over to use his cane, which I’ll be honest, is not a super enjoyable feature.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:26 PM   #866
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

515-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Nuke.

Well this is a new and different character for me and sure beats yet another Iron Man, Captain America or Spider “person”; mind you, I have very little knowledge of who, or what, Nuke is. Approximately 3 minutes of research on Wikipedia tells me that Nuke was originally a Daredevil villain developed by Frank Miller, which totally makes sense given his powers, abilities and overall design. I mean, just look at him: the American flag face tattoo is a bit on the nose. That said, I kind of like it and gives the Marvel Character an edge that is typically reserved for the more independent publishers like Image Comics. One thing that I read about his “abilities” was his second heart that gives him extra powers when he swallows a colour coded pill: Red for increased adrenalin, White to keep him balanced between missions and Blue to bring him down. Kind of a cool concept if you ask me.

Pros: Overall Nuke is a fantastic figure and testament to what Hasbro CAN do if they are willing to send the money. First of all, he’s a beefier figure, which is always a plus in my book. Second, looks to be some original molded parts and the removable vest. Thirdly, has weapon storage for his knife and finally has two really detailed head sculpts. Someone really put extra effort into this figure and it shows.

Cons: What is going on with that ridiculous rifle? Was it made special for this Nuke figure? It’s just so out of place and bizarre looking. Such a shame considering Nuke was almost, in my eyes, a perfect figure.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:40 PM   #867
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

516-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Transformers Prime: Dreadwing.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: I love me a Transformers mini-bot. Something that as a kid you could hide in your pocket and play around with while waiting for a table at a restaurant. Extra points for a figure that transforms into a jet and you got yourself a fun toy. Now I’m not suggesting that this is what I currently do as a middle aged man, but appreciate that Hasbro still makes these little figures. I just wish that instead of copies of existing characters that they would develop unique characters, not unlike Bumblebee and Cliffjumper.

Pros: Overall Dreadwing is a fun little figure with a lot of play value. Nice looking toy in both modes that matches the character from the show, simple yet effective Transformation, decent possibility and two weapons, one sword and one rifle.

Cons: Honestly, nothing I can think of. It’s a value toy that delivers.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:40 PM   #868
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 02-15-2021, 03:46 PM   #869
Robimus
Super Moderator

Nuke would be a great mold for a classified custom

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:55 PM   #870
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Nuke would be a great mold for a classified custom
100% I’m thinking Road Pig?