ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 02-22-2021, 01:43 PM   #881
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

521-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Clone Trooper.

I’m finally making my way through all these Black Series figures that I’ve collected through the years and not a moment too soon: the fandom is so incredibly divided at this point that I’m not sure where this franchise is heading. I suppose we can feel ok about the Mando series and hope that it will keep Star Wars afloat for a while, but if I know Star Wars fans, it won’t be long until they get pissed off over something that didn’t align with their version of what Star Wars should be.

Pros: A long time ago, in a toy section very close by, Star Wars Black Series figures were incredibly frustrating to find. Sure, for years Slave Leia’s cluttered the shelves, but Canada was skipped over for a number of waves thereafter. That is, until the fateful day that Wal-Mart releases a metric butload of figures, including this clone trooper, for an unbelievable low price of $10. I guess I stopped myself from buying multiples and even passed on the original white clone in favor of the red variant, but given that they are just simple repaints I suppose I see why. Overall the Clone Troopers have a decent sculpt that matches their on screen counterparts, a good amount of articulation included double jointed elbows (something not typical on hero characters, and two screen accurate blasters.

Cons: Despite the articulation points, the figure isn’t all that pose-able. It's more to do with the shortfalls of the armor design, more form over function, but it would be really nice if these Troopers could take a knee and aim a blaster at the same time.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:01 PM   #882
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

522-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Secret War Captain America.

Well, Hasbro has truly stumped me with this one. Yes, I know who Captain America is, but can’t seem to get much more info on this version, or even a picture of him from a comic for that matter, outside of a storyboard sketch and a quick blurb that the creators wanted an new, relatively new look for the lead characters of the story. I suppose it makes sense and, if I’m being honest it’s a pretty great look, but once again I’m left wondering why supporting media is not included to help get fans, new and old to get up to speed on these figures.

Pros: A nice change from the standard look, Secret War Capt sports a new darker, less flashy paint scheme, an aggressive new head sculpt, his trademark shield and of course the kicker to this set, an action hand that allows shield throwing poses.

Cons: Outside of having a limited understanding as to why this version of Captain America exists, the figure is really solid with very little flaws. That said, while I love that they included the action hand, I’m just not sure how it’s supposed to look while posed on the figure. I suppose it should be the final form of a side arm, across the body throw, but given the curve of the plastic, it just doesn’t look right. There is also a bit of a weight issue when the shield is in place making it difficult to pose.

Last edited by Team Jetfire; 02-23-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:06 PM   #883
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

523-2
Hasbro- Transformers Combiner Wars: Bombshell.

Interesting, so in 700ish reviews I have completed the following reviews on the original Insecticon characters: two on Kickback (seems low TBH), one on Bombshell and none on Shrapnel which is funny considering Shrapnel was the only one I had as a kid! I’m certain I will even that number out eventually as I think I have it packed away somewhere, but if not, I’m not really vexed: I have more than enough Transformers in my collection at this point.

Pros: I like Shrapnel for what it is: a bit sized figure with two solid modes, a fun transformation and a decently poseable robot mode. For the price I can’t ask for anything better.

Cons: The arms/hand situation is a bit odd; even for an insect turned robot. I would have appreciated an included weapon too.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:06 PM   #884
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 02-24-2021, 02:23 PM   #885
Robimus
Super Moderator

That Bombshell is a favorite of mine

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:40 PM   #886
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
That Bombshell is a favorite of mine
Yeah, really great little figure in the spirt if the G1 Insecticons. I can’t recall if I got the others to match though.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:41 PM   #887
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

524-2
Hasbro- G.I. Joe Classified: Snake-Eyes.

I’m not going to bury the lead, If I reviewed this Classified Snake Eyes in 2020 it would have easily been my toy of the year. And while I’ve been a very strong supporter of Jazwares Legendary Fortnite figures, even going as far to say that they are good stand-ins for an eventual 6” Joe line, I must say that while copies are fine, there’s nothing that can compare to the original. And while the line has some BIG issues including some QC, loose joints and terrible distribution, I can easily say that these are some of my favorite action figures ever produced. Kudos to Hasbro and the Joe team for pulling it off in a world that is seaming trying so hard to forget how great GI Joe can be. I can only hope, like Marvel Legends and The Black Series, that this line will continue for years, but given how things are going I fear that might be a short but sweet ride.

Pros: Basically everything about the actual Snake Eyes figure is amazing. Super detailed sculpt that takes homages from a few different versions of the character, outstanding articulation, including the new gold standard in articulation: hip dropdowns, a bevy of accessories including multiple rifles, sharps, a silencer and even places to hold it all!

Cons: Understanding that nothing is perfect and also that my view is very much skewed in its favor, I do recognize that there are some quantifiable issues with Snake Eyes. First off, let’s talk about those guns: what is the deal with those holes!?! I get that guns are bad, but these are still guns right? Putting a hole through the middle doesn’t change the fact that they still have the ability to kill someone. It’s just such a weird choice. Also, while I said the body was pretty well perfect, the plastic used for the joints does feel a bit gummy and could break or even tear off. Lastly and I think they already fixed this issue, my version had a knife sheath issue that prevented the knife from going fully in place. I was able to hollow it out, but frustrating nevertheless.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:55 PM   #888
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

525-2
DC Collectables- Batman The Mask of the Phantasm; Batman and Phantasm

Continuing my quest to re-watch all the DC Animated features to date and give some thoughts regarding 3 key touchpoints: Animation Style, Voice Acting & Story. These are really just rough notes as I watched the movie and might not make a whole lot of sense unless you have recently watched it. See 290-2, 303-2, 318-2, 331-2, 344-2, 358-2, 369-2, 371-2, 385-2, 399-2, 414-2, 426-2, 441-2, 453-2, 462-2, 468-2, 481-2, 490-2, 496-2 510-2 & 519-2 for my previous instalments.

Justice league: Throne of Atlantis – 2015

Animation Style- Overall the animation is similar to the previous new 52 movies: Justice league: War and Son of Batman which is totally fine by me as I really like it. New comers including the entire Atlantis crew look good. Aquaman and Mera especially look great as compared to their Flashpoint/live action counterparts.

Voice acting- So same voice cast as in Justice league War with a few newcomers. Arthur/Aquaman is played by Matt Lanter (Best known for Anakin in the Clone Wars), Mara played by Sumalee Montano (Voice of Arcee from Transformers Prime and a bunch of other stuff) and Sam Witwer (Voice of Darth Maul in the Clone Wars)who plays Arthur’s half-brother Orm. Last in odd credits, the wonderful Rosario Dawson begins her tenor as Wonder Woman and as a funny coincidence plays Asoka in the live action Star Wars series, who was trained by Anakin and fought Darth Maul!

Story- Much like the Justice League: War and Assault on Arkham movies that preceded Throne of Atlantis, this movie is a fairly paint by the numbers origin story for the fish talking, sea dwelling, gold plated hero Aquaman. And while I enjoyed parts of it, especially how the subplot revolved around the growing pains within the newly formed Justice League, the Atlantis stuff seemed kind of overdone at this point. Much like seeing Peter-Parker getting bitten by a radioactive spider, or Thomas and Martha Wayne getting shot in crime alley, I’ve seen how Arthur takes his place as kind of Atlantis, or defends his role as king of Atlantis a number of different times all in different media. I mean, I don’t want to sound like a dick to all the Aquaman fans out there, but does he not have any other story beats that DC could work with? Hell, I don’t think he even makes another appearance in another New 52 Justice League movie? How crazy is that? Have an entire movie devoted to a character and don’t follow it up with ANYTHING?!?! Overall, it’s a fun movie and if you don’t know much about Aquaman it’s worth a watch.

Pros: Well, isn’t this a fun release. For those unaware, Mask of the Phantasm was a standalone Batman movie that was released to theatres in 1993 during the run of the original Animated Series. It's unique in that it involves the major players of the Animated universe, but is a completely new story line and has no relation to the TV series. As far as I know, the Phantasm makes no additional appearance in Bat-media and the events played out in this movie are never spoken about again.

Pros: Phantasm- I love the design of this new character and feel that DC Collectables once again captured the look really well. Top marks for making the hood and cape from a softer plastic to allow for full range of motion of the articulation and hit some nice poses. As with other DC Collectable releases, it comes with some spare hands and a terribly designed stand.

Batman- As far as I’m aware this is just the same Batman from the single figure release with 2 extra hands and a bat-a-rang.

Cons- Phantasm has a similar issue to those figures that have hoods in that it limits the ability for the figure to look around. I also feel that there was a massive missed opportunity with this set to uncover the big twist of this character. I believe back in the 90’s Kenner was able to do it and it's sad that DC Collectables didn’t try. I also feel that this set is lacking in the accessory department, but at only $16 more than a single figure, I suppose what we got was fine.

Cons: As above, feels a bit basic of a release, especially considering how much stuff came with the very first Batman of the Animated line.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:55 PM   #889
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 03-01-2021, 02:35 PM   #890
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

526-2
Hasbro- Transformers Generations War for Cybertron: Soundblaster.

Kudos to the Transformers Netflix series for giving a simple repainted character some personality and if I’m being honest I think I almost like the off-the-grid gangster better than the very logical and loyal Soundwave; especially considering he has all those built in minions to do his bidding. Now that I think about it, a better example, for those familiar with Star Trek, is that Soundwave is DATA and Soundblaster is his much less robotic minded, more aggressive natured brother LORE: Similar build with much different programming. I hope that they feature him a bit more in future stories.

Pros: Soundblaster, or rather Soundwave, has always had a bit of a Cybertronian identity crisis. I mean, what was he supposed to be in that initial cartoon? I suppose a lamppost doesn’t make for a very enjoyable alt mode, so I’m glad that Hasbro went with something a bit more identifiable while keeping the “data” storage gimmick that he’s best known for. Transformation is pretty basic and the robot mode has a decent homage to the character that we are used to. Goldwing is also a really nice addition to the figure with a fun spring loaded transformation and a nice overall bird mode.

Cons: His robot mode is a bit basic and angular looking. I also lament the fact they didn’t include a weapon or even the ability to hold Goldwing.