ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 10-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #731
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlurk29 View Post
I would buy this Hulk figure in every color, and I'm not even a Hulk fan. Will be interesting to see how the Select Rampaging Hulk compares.

Not a fan of the Wolverine mask design, but it's nice to have the extra body around to make use of mask-less Logan heads.
I’m going to stop short of the Outback Hulk unless I can get him on sale. Interesting thought on Wolverine. I agree that it looks a bit silly, but I almost like the campiness.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:56 PM   #732
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

446-2
Playmates/Spinmaster- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- Raphael

Well just moving right along on these Classic Figures with the first of the Bros and I really have to commend Playmates on the overall look and feel of these figures. The sculpt captures the cartoon aesthetic fairly well and has way more articulation than any other TMNT figure, up until that time anyways and all for a reasonable price. That’s a win in my book.

Pros: Rafael has a great cartoon inspired sculpt, really fantastic articulation including individual fingers and toes, and two storable Sai weapons that can be held by the handle or the much cooler way in my opinion: through his fingers.

Cons: Even though the figure is very articulated, the shell body limits the poses that he can pull off and makes him really top heavy and difficult to pose.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:13 PM   #733
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

447-2
Hasbro- Transformers War for Cybertron: Earthrise- Wheeljack

I’m continuing my look at the new Netflix Transformers War for Cybertron Trilogy. Have a look at review 442-2 for previous thoughts.

EP 1
Netflix synopsis- Megatron urges Optimus Prime to accept a treaty, while Starscream questions Jetfire’s leadership. The Autobots try to recruit Bumblebee to their side.
Overall thoughts: Given that this was the 1st episode there was a lot riding on it to carry favor with new viewers and for the most part it did not disappoint. I mean, what Transformer fan wouldn’t be happy with an introduction involving Wheeljack and Bumblebee on a mission to look for Energon? For those not aware that was the opening scene in the G1 cartoon. Outside of that I enjoyed the various character introductions, including one Jetfire, whom I am particularly partial to, as well as a number of female characters that have become fan favorites over the years. I’m still on the fence about Bumblebee’s independent status. It’s likely just Bumblebee fatigue, given his popularity in the wake of the movies, but they are going easy on his time on screen. It is also really clear that they are going for a more mature feel to this given one of Jetfire’s seekers killed pretty well right off the bat. Lastly I like the back story that they are creating with the Autobots and Decepticons being different races and having a very tumultuous and interconnected history. I realize that this is a theme throughout, but this could be the first time I’ve seen them stop short of the simple Autobot = good and Decepticon = bad equations.

Pros: As mentioned in previous reviews, I have slowed WAY down on my new Transformers pickups, but given that Wheeljack was my 2nd ever Transformer, I knew that I would have to pick him up. Overall he is a fantastic figure and outside of the MP Wheeljack, this could be the best version of the character to date. Excellent sculpt, good articulation for nice poses, fun transformation and a very sleek robot mode.

Cons: I guess the gimmick of this line is the ability to collect other smaller characters that can transform into other weapons? While I don’t have much of an issue with this, it does seem that other weapons, weapons that would normally come with the figure are omitted. Also, both the back panels and the shoulder rocket launcher/gun are a bit small for the character.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:13 PM   #734
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 10-30-2020, 07:32 PM   #735
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

448-2
McFarlane Toys- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Hermione Granger

Continuing my look at all the Harry Potter themed rides and attractions at the various Universal Studios Parks around the world. Previous thoughts can be found at review 314-2 Dragon Challenge, 337-2- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey & 392-2- Flight of the Hippogriff.

One of the more clever rides that Universal Studios has created in the Harry Potter world is the Hogwarts Express. And while it is not the most thrilling ride out there, it really does raise the bar in what park goers can expect in theming. For those unaware, in the world of Harry Potter, there is a wizarding school called Hogwarts that is located deep in the countryside of England. Every fall, students who study the magical arts, board a train (called the Hogwarts Express) at Kings Cross (a real place in London) and arrive at Hogsmead Station (a fake village beside the Hogwarts school). Another thing to note if you are unaware, Universal Studios Florida is split into 3 different theme parks. Universal Studios Park (this was the first one that mirrored the Hollywood park) then opened Island of Adventures in the late 90’s (a more themed environment with different franchise tie ins) and finally a Polynesian themed waterpark. Now when Universal first introduced the Wizarding World at the resort it was only at the Islands of Adventure park, but they later expanded to the Studios Park after its success and popularity. This afforded Universal with a rather cool opportunity to make an attraction that would be not only fun, but also functional for the park goers who may want to attend both parks in one day. The premise is simple enough: each respective park has a train stain que that is themed after that area of the Wizarding Word. The Studios Park has a Kings Cross façade, which is attached to the wizard street Diagon alley in London and Islands of Adventure has the Hogsmead station that is attached to Hogwarts. There is a train that runs between the parks, or rather stops, and is themed to the Hogwarts Express that is shown in the film series completed with individual compartments that each party sits in for the journey. I’ll leave it there for now and go into more detail on my next Potter review.

Pros: Of the series, Hermione was the most difficult to find, which is a bit of a shame given that she is a) the only female release and b) a fan favorite, but the entire line was short lived, so I suppose we are lucky to have had any of it. As with the other releases, Hermione has a great overall sculpt, key accessories and a good amount of articulation for any required poses. I also love that her patronus is an otter; who doesn’t love otters?

Cons: McFarlane is known for fantastic sculpts, but the face sculpts on the 3 kids was a bit weak in my opinion. Also, and I know this is due to the line being cut short, outside of the wand and a passing resemblance to Emma Watson, there is very little to connect this with the media that this is based off of. I mean, yes she looks like her character did from the movie, but it’s really just a girl in street clothes when you boil it down. They really missed an opportunity with this line and I think it would have done better if they release them in their Wizarding robes.

Old 11-02-2020, 06:46 PM   #736
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

449-2
Disney Toy Box- Marvel: Thanos

Funny thing about this figure: He is the first Marvel Super Villain released in the Toy Box series and likely the only toy aimed at children, exclusive to the Disney Story that literally eliminated half of all life in the universe. I mean, I’m not complaining as I love the figure, but think it’s hilarious that a company as squeaky clean as Disney would over look such a thing; maybe we as a society are less PC then we all think!

Pros: Thanos is one of those figures that never got an infinity figure so the design is brand new, but I’m not complaining as they really seem to have got the Infinity asthenic down pretty well. He has a nice sculpt that is based on his pre-Infinity War armor, a decent amount of articulation for a figure (ANKLE TILTS!) like this and even comes with a removable, adorable Infinity gauntlet that fits over his fist like a Polly Pocket outfit. I also appreciate the bonus “killing half of all life” blast effect accessory.

Cons: Some limited mobility due to his armor and would have loved his double ended blade weapon from Endgame.

Old 11-03-2020, 07:41 PM   #737
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

450-2
Hasbro- Transformers Studio Series: Ironhide

There has been probably a hundred movie Ironhide figures to date and I have a good portion of them, but they still leave me wanting another to see if they can nail the rather complex movie design, something that the Studio Series does pretty well.

Pros: Overall this is one of the better versions of Ironhide that I have in my collection. Great overall sculpt, all parts seem to tab into place nicely, great movie specific weapons, a fun, not frustrating transformation and a great looking vehicle mode.

Cons: Ankle tilts would have really gone a long way to help with achieving better poses and there is pretty substantial kibble under the truck in vehicle mode.

Old 11-03-2020, 07:41 PM   #738
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 11-04-2020, 05:36 PM   #739
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

451-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Spider-Man (Miles Morales)

Not to brag or anything, but I was hip to the Miles Morales Spider-Man arch relatively early on in his story and was instantly a big fan. May have been something to do with the fact that I really enjoyed the Ultimate Spider-Man series and this was simply a logical sequel set in the same Earth 1610 universe that all the “ultimate” comics took place in, but also because I was delighted that Marvel gave us something new that was not the same old Spider-Man story. I mean, it's not like it is something super unique, as it is still a teenager infected with spider powers, but his outlook was different and dealt with many different issues than Peter Parker did. Since then the character has exploded and made the way for adventures in the Spider-verse allowing for literally hundreds of different spiderman from all the various Marvel Multiverses’ as well as appearing in the mega awesome Into the Spiderverse animated movie and a PS5 video game launch title.

Pros: I was super excited to see that this version of Spider-Man had received the Marvel legends treatment and for the most part they did a pretty good job. The teenage mold is solid for the younger character, he has a decent amount of Spider-Man level articulation, comes with both a masked and unmasked head and a few extra fists.

Cons: I’m not sure how, but given that this is Miles’s first marvel Legends figure I would have loved if hasbro made it a bit more substantial than another typical Spider-Man repaint. I suppose the body is new, but this design is slightly overshadowed by the fact that we basically got the same Peter Spider-Man in the same wave. Perhaps a few stun effects would have been included?

Old 11-05-2020, 01:28 PM   #740
WhenGeeksCollide
Cobra Trooper

https://youtu.be/1g79RIrl_VQ
WhenGeeksCollide is offline   Reply With Quote