ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Mattel Toy Discussion

Old 05-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #331
Prowl_2009
Guardian of Gotham
Re: Up-And-Coming DC Universe Classics!

Check out these great YouTube reviews of the first 4 figures released in Mattel's Club Infinite Earths, done by Pop Culture Network Member, Pixel Dan...

Jay Garrick : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfAEyGW04yQ

Atrocitus : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spMpr...feature=relmfu

Metorn : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlvEIqhtqfU

Starman : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2-bk...feature=relmfu

Rocket Red: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E5ht...feature=relmfu

Nice job, Pixel Dan!

My Blog: Infinite Earths
Twitter: @InfinteEarths
Facebook
Prowl_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #332
Prowl_2009
Guardian of Gotham

Check out what Mattel had to say regarding our favorite DC figures during their latest Q&A session with TheFwoosh...

Q: Matty, the New 52 Batman is a great looking figure, but is there any reason he didn’t get double joints, or at least double knees? He seems to fit the “character selection” and “need for all-new tooling” that you guys have talked about when it comes to adding articulation…

A: This was a design choice.

Q: So, Jay Garrick was the first Club IE figure and, from what we can tell, he sold out really fast. Did he perform to expectations in regards to what is needed to grow confidence in the DC club?

A: He performed well, but the real indicator will be how well the 2013 sub sells.

Q: This is for the DC Retail line in 2013 – can you please confirm that the Four Horsemen will continue to do sculpting and design work for these offerings? In the past you said that the figures planned for retail in 2013 will “work with our existing collections” and that is just not possible without the 4H at the helm. Thanks.

A: Yes they will.

Thoughts on this latest Mattel Q&A?

Facebook
Old 06-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #333
Prowl_2009
Guardian of Gotham

Hey, DC Fans! This August will see the release of yet another Flash Rogue through Club Infinite Earths - the Evan McCulloch version of Mirror Master!

Check out AFI's in-depth look at this highly anticipated figure, featuring two open hands (unlike what we saw at Toy Fair in February) and reconfigurable mirror guns!

A welcome addition to the Flash Rogues that can't get here fast enough!

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (92.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (88.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (71.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (61.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (71.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (39.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (47.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (88.5 KB, 8 views)

Facebook
Old 06-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #334
pud333
Master of the Universe

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather someone other than 4H get a go at figures. Switch it up. The DC figures for the most part seem boring and uninspired, and 4H seemed to have hit their creative peak. But then, I also want Mattel to die, or at least lose the DC license, so what do I know?
Old 06-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #335
CTO15
Avengers Assemble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather someone other than 4H get a go at figures. Switch it up. The DC figures for the most part seem boring and uninspired, and 4H seemed to have hit their creative peak. But then, I also want Mattel to die, or at least lose the DC license, so what do I know?
i agree 4H has reached their peak. it seems all the parts are re use with minor changed details
Old 06-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #336
cloud
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTO15 View Post
i agree 4H has reached their peak. it seems all the parts are re use with minor changed details
To be fair. I think it's mostly Mattel's decision. Remember the Kalibak figure back in DCUC series6 ? Or Gorilla Grodd from series2? 4HM sculpted accessories for Grodd and Kalibak was suppose to have more weapons. Both figures' accessories were taken away by Mattel because of the cost (How can we forget about Nekron's scythe!)

As for the new 52 figures. I too felt that they should have went for a new body with double jointed knees and shoulders. I'm not saying that I bought a new 52 Batman when I was in China last month but if I did bought a new 52 Batman figure from Mattel and compare it to DCD's release, I would say Mattel's version looks weak and a complete waste of time and resources. Articulations are closer enough for both figures but the sculpt is just too weak.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #337
Benzo
Clonetrooper

Yes, don't blame 4H! Blame Mattel!!
Benzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #338
pud333
Master of the Universe

Mattel is about 95% of the problem when it comes to how these toys have just stagnated. I'm sure if 4H could, they would sculpt every figure from scratch and not reuse anything, but that's not good for business. That said, when you look at what Mattel has allowed 4H to do, it's... boring. I just think the line could use a new set of sculptors. Especially on the female sculpts, because while they are adequate, they really aren't that great IMO for the most part. The only female sculpt that I've really liked from top to bottom was maybe Supergirl.

But yeah, Mattel is content to just make franken figures. I mean when you look at Mirror Master, he doesn't scream "Wow, they really put a lot of effort into him!"

Anyway, I'm just ranting. The only reason why I still bothered to pick up a few more DCUC is because DC is my favorite, and I can't stand not having figures of my favorites. That said, I've pretty much sworn off secondary characters like MM. I just don't want to give Mattel any more of my money than I have to. Especially since these toys, when found at retail, are getting more and more expensive, for a toy that, basically, hasn't evolved or changed since DCSH. Heck, some of the best DCUC figures were reused from DCSH, like Supergirl and Lex Luthor. Revamping the line with a new name and new packaging doesn't make me more excited for the figures.

You know what they say: You can put lipstick on a pig...

Last edited by pud333; 06-15-2012 at 12:20 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #339
Prowl_2009
Guardian of Gotham

Check out Pixel Dan's review of 4 The Dark Knight Rises Movie Master figures...

Alfred Pennyworth

Jim Gordon

Batman

Bane

Enjoy!

Facebook
Old 06-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #340
Tonestar
Rookie Supreme

So Commissioner Gordon is a Wal-Mart exclusive...I guess that means we here in the great white north probably will not get it. It figures....
Tonestar is offline   Reply With Quote