ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 10-20-2022, 02:23 PM   #1401
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

S-19
Hasbro- Transformers Studio Series: Wheeljack

Have you ever gone out for dinner to a new restaurant and just had the best time even though you didn’t expect it? The ambiance was perfect for the occasion, the servers were both friendly and attentive and the food was exactly the way you wanted it? Then in hopes of capturing that experience again, you go to the same place and it’s a bit busier? The table isn’t as nice? The servers are rushed and the food is just meh? The meal was not bad by any stretch, but failed to capture the experience in the same way. Yeah, that is what it was like opening Wheeljack as compared to Brawn (from S-17). I was pleasantly surprised with how Brawn turned out and by comparison was rather let down by Wheeljack. I mean, he’s not at all a bad figure, but just not as good of a meal as Brawn.

Pros: G1 Wheeljack is very important to me as a Transformers fan given that he was the second Transformers figure that I had ever owned so I was pretty keen on picking up this Cybertronian version of him as seen in the Bumblebee movie. Overall the sculpt is nice and retains the same overall G1 look and I like the huge gun that he comes with.

Cons: I know this will be harsh, but I had high expectations: Wheeljack is not worth the price tag. The sculpt is uninspired as a Cybertronian mode as they could have really done something cooler than a futuristic update to his G1 vehicle mode.The transformation is annoying as hell and the instructions are less than helpful, not to mention that, as far as I can tell, there is no proper spot to put his head in vehicle mode. Lastly, two major things that the character is known for are either messed up (back wings on the shoulders so they look funny when he raises his arms) or none existent (shoulder cannon not included as part of the figure, which I would have preferred to the gun that they included!) And while this isn’t a design issue, my version has hella loose hip joints which is a major pet peeve of mine.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 02:24 PM   #1402
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 10-24-2022, 01:46 PM   #1403
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

850-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Killmonger.

Let’s talk Wakanda Forever shall we? Can you tell Comic Con is still fresh in my mind? I mean, it HAS been a few weeks, but that Wakanda Forever trailer has really stuck with me. See I've told anyone who will listen that I think it is a mistake to NOT recast Chadwick Boseman. Not because I think he did a bad job, but more so because the character (which is bigger than the actor) is so important. The Black Panther MCU movie continues to be at the top of the list for Marvel’s endeavors and not because all fans of the MCU embrace it as such. The Black Panther spoke to audiences in a way that other MCU movies never did and I feel that keeping positive black, male characters at the forefront of the franchise helps to normalize the idea that a hero can be a POC. And before everyone gets pissed about Blade or other movies featuring Black actors, The Black Panther felt different: for the lack of a better example, it felt like for the first time that a character as well known as Superman, Captain America or even Spider-Man was played by a black man- Now that is powerful.
Fast forward to his legacy and fans want to prop Boseman up as the Black Panther and while he embodied the character so well, it is a disservice to let that character die with the actor. Kids should know that black men can be compassionate, vulnerable and just while not simply being the “badass” or a wisecracking sidekick. Sadly with his passing and his connection to the fans, a recasting would have been tough and the show must go on and while there is only speculation as to who will be taking up the mantle, it’s probably safe to say either his sister, lover or friend will become the new, female Black Panther. On the surface, I have zero problem with this. I like women in hero spots and understand that there are some tracks laid in the comics for the same, but I think it is just too soon in his story arc to pass on the mantle. The character’s arc was not complete and his passing will have less impact because it will happen off screen without the pomp and circumstance that it deserves. We will never get to say goodbye like we did to Tony, Black Widow or even Aunt May; it’s just going to happen.

THAT SAID. HOLY CRAP that trailer was amazing and I can’t wait for this movie.

Pros: Technically my second of this mold but without the unmasked head sculpt. Ultimately the figure has a beautiful sculpt with lots of detail, a good amount of articulation and some nice accessories, but….

Cons: It’s basically the same figure that was included in the previous two pack and was needed for the BAF.

Old 10-25-2022, 05:02 PM   #1404
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

851-2
NECA- Disney’s Gargoyles: Goliath

It’s pretty clear that I am a fan of all things Disney, but even the biggest critic has to agree that Disney went HARD in the 90’s. So hard in fact that reverberations are still being felt 20+ years later. Yes of course there were the theatrical movies and the growth at the parks, but how else can you explain a relatively obscure series that had nothing but a syndicated cartoon and maybe a comic book, maintaining popularity to the point of a full toy line by NECA all these years later? Answer: Because Disney went hard in the 90’s. If you don’t believe me that’s fine, but do yourself a favor and check out the first 5 eps of Gargoyles on Disney Plus and tell me there wasn’t something very cool going on there. Unfortunately I think the series was cut short, but the long term effects remained: people still love it to this day and the popularity of this NECA series speaks for itself. I just wish these were easier to come by in Canada.

Pros: As a fan of Disney and cool toys I figured that this NECA Goliath was perfect for my collection and for the most part he lives up to the hype. First thing that should be noted is that he is big. Not like a 12 inch figure big, but like imposing for a 6-7 inch size class. This is both good and bad (see Con’s) but given what he is and should be, this makes him very cool and exceptionally imposing. Second thing is that the sculpt is AMAZING and has a ton of detail that was not present in the animation model and can we talk about those wings? Like Mr. Potato Head said in Toy Story: “Whoa, Impressive wingspan!”. Lastly, NECA has done well to include some decent accessories including an alt “angry head”, some fists, a tail, a book and of course… a Jalapeno Pepper. Wait what?

Cons: Sometimes too much of a good thing is not so great, and I think Goliath is right on the cusp. I mean, of 1000ish reviews he has been one of the few that can’t fit into the lightbox. How am I supposed to get him on the shelf, let alone the whole crew? Thankfully his ingenious wing cape is included with his dog(?), but I think it’s bad form to not include it from the jump. Also, his “hair” somewhat limits the overall possibility of the head and makes it seem as though he is looking down all the time. Quick aside, I know that my photos are kind of weak, but they do not do him justice. In hand he really is something else.

Old 10-25-2022, 05:03 PM   #1405
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 11-07-2022, 12:03 PM   #1406
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

852-2
Bandai Spirits- Gundam Universe: Deathscythe.

Can anyone explain why, after all the popularity that it had in the 2000?s and reverberations for the anime genre that it had for years thereafter, that Gundam Wing is nowhere to be found on any reputable streaming services in Canada? Yes, Netflix has thankfully uploaded some newer series, and I guess that Hulu has it in the States, but nothing in Canada which is super disappointing given that I think it?s a fantastic series for people to get introduced into the world of Gundam, plus I?d like an opportunity to see it again without sailing the high seas (wink) or streaming from a sketchy Anime site. Also, if I can get my nostalgic peaks and valleys correct, I feel like there are a lot of kids who grew up watching Gundam that may be ready for a trip down memory lane.

Pros: These Gundam figures continue to impress and Deathscythe certainly is one of the best that I have opened yet. A fantastic sculpt with lots of details, enough moving parts for some cool poses and of course all the accessories that you need. Such a great figure.

Cons: I got nothing, this figure rocks.

Old 11-07-2022, 09:11 PM   #1407
cloud
Master of the Universe

Youtube...
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:53 PM   #1408
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
Youtube...
Not that I can find for Wing. Is there a user that has them all?
Old 11-08-2022, 01:54 PM   #1409
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

853-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends Riders: Squirrel Girl

Is Squirrel Girl a fantastic Marvel Mutant character, or is she just one of those ?oh so zany? characters that fans latch onto ironically because they are just that silly? Admittedly I kind of like her, but also don?t know much more than what is on the surface. I mean, she?s a mutant with the power to control squirrels so what else is there to her? I have not seen her in any current media, nor read a comic with her in it, but I feel like her inclusion would make anything a bit more lighthearted because? squirrels. In any case, in a Marvel Legends world of Iron Men, Captain Americas and Spider People, it?s nice to see something this fun and different.

Pros: I always love new and interesting figures and Squirrel Girl is no exception. I loved the mold and the overall look including the gigantic tail, plus her little squirrel buddies are very cute.

Cons: While I appreciate that Marvel likes to re-use molds and the scooter vehicle makes sense for a Squirrel Girls release, I just don?t think that the molds compliment each other very well. I mean, consider that she is unable to both sit on the scooter seat and reach the handle bars and even if she could reach, they gave her splayed hands so she couldn?t even grasp them. Lastly, because of that tail she cannot stand up straight however perhaps that is why they included the scooter for balance. At least it was cheap.

Old 11-08-2022, 06:03 PM   #1410
cloud
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
Not that I can find for Wing. Is there a user that has them all?
The Gundam official Youtube page. Gundam.Info. (Eng Sub)
Latest upload is my favorite series of all time. The 08MS Team.
Wing series was uploaded last year sometime. There was a limited release of the Endless Waltz movie. Not sure if they removed it now.

Update* Mother trucker.... they removed the series. But they just updated the Engless Waltz OVA again but in episode format

https://youtu.be/oIUFFuL3Fuk

Last edited by cloud; 11-08-2022 at 06:09 PM.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote