ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 07-27-2018, 09:52 AM   #231
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

113-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Batroc the Leaper.

One of the things I love about doing this reviews (aside from providing some content for probably five people to read and hopefully enjoy) is that it allows me to learn a some new things about the various figures that I have been forced happy to pick up in order to complete a build a figure and Batroc certainly fits that bill.

When this wave was announced all those years ago I was not collecting Marvel Legends, but from what I can tell on older forum posts, there was some excitement surrounding his release as unbeknownst to me this is the only toy version of this character which in itself is pretty cool. As an added bonus it is seems as though Batroc is a bit of a badass in the comic world and I love that he was featured, albeit more subdued, in the 2nd Captain America MCU movie played by a French Canadian MMA fighter (close enough I suppose?). Unfortunately for him the excitement was not felt by the general toy buying public and he was a peg warmer for quite some time leading to me eventually picking him up on sale from Winners.

Pros: A seriously great head sculpt, good articulation for dynamic fighting poses and a nice paint job.

Cons: I’m not sure if this was intentional, but his right hand looks like it is supposed to be holding a gun, which he does not include. However, it can be used as a mustache twirling hand which is either dumb luck or genius. Either way I would have prefered more fighting fists.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:19 AM   #232
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

114-2
DC Collectibles- DC Bombshells: Batwoman

I can’t help but feel that Batwoman was the inspiration for this entire Bombshells line, not that it’s a bad thing, but merely an observation as she works really well as a double-entendre for the character and in the Bombshells universe. I also applaud how they gave Batwoman the lead on this series given her not so typical background, relative cult status and popularity with the LGBTQ community, not to mention that she is a kick ass character. I can only hope that the Bombshells will live on in a DC Direct to video feature (If they made Ninja Batman, they can make a Bombshells movie). I have absolutely loved this first wave of Bombshells figures and commend DC Collectibles on the sculpting, articulation and accessories and really makes me excited for the new DC Essentials line that is to be released soon. My only complaint is that, like many of the other DC Collectibles, the accessories are very fragile and breakable under normal wear and tear, so be aware.

Pros: Excellent sculpt, fantastic articulation, has the ability to be posed without the use of a stand, fun accessories.

Cons: She felt very fragile and I actually broke her bat when I tried to get it in her hand.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:09 PM   #233
joshimus
Convention Exclusive

joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:37 AM   #234
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

115-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: R2D2

Last year when the Black Series “classic carded” figures were released I was feverishly trying to track down the elusive R2D2. As one of the original trilogy figures I had expected him to be a hot item item and was annoyed when it seemed that I would be out of luck, so imagine my surprise and delight when I was going through my figure storage and found that I already had him; funny how things work out like that.

I always feel as though these smaller 6” figures are a bit of a rip off given the size difference, but I will hand it to Hasbro for packing a good amount into him; short of including a little Kenny Baker, this R2 has pretty well every accessory that we know and love from the movies. Periscope camera for swimming in Dagobah? Check! Universal port used to communicate with hyperdrives? Yuppers! Jedi lightsaber cannon? 10-4 good buddy. Heck, for those prequel apologists he even has the mysterious side leg rockets for flaming oil attack! Who doesn't love that? My only complaint is that his retractable third leg is tied to a mechanism requires you to spin his head and sometime the height of the leg doesn't line up with his head facing the correct way. Yes you can fiddle with it a bit, but I feel like I will end up snapping the plastic on the inside.

Pros: lots of accessories, good range of motion considering the size.

Cons: There is no place to store all the unused accessories and some of them are really small so there is a very high chance of loosing something.

Gratuitous action flying shot

Old 08-01-2018, 09:48 AM   #235
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

116-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Human Alliance: Backfire and Spike Witwicky.

Last of the Human Alliance team and honestly he’s not a super strong addition. Firstly not a huge fan of his vehicle mode, as I have never really liked the look of the Spyder trikes. I mean, all the power to you if you want to ride one and I'm sure it's fun, but it's not coolest looking way to get around. I also have a rather irrational dislike to them due to a very specific scene in the G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra movie where Brendan Fraser pulls up on his motorized tricycle, trying to look super cool, while Snake Eyes is fighting some other random Joe. I can look past the stupid product placement, but how dare they try to make Brendan Fraser look cool!?! HE’S THE WORST!

Pros: As mentioned I'm a fan of the Human Alliance figures for the extra playability of the human figure, also a nice nod to G1 including the name Spike.

Cons: The robot arms/hands aren't great with the 3rd battle mode being a bit of a mess.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #236
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

117-2
Hasbro- Powercore Combiners: Mudflap.

My last PCC and honesty, I feel like they could have done better. Yes, the base robot is alright and the appendage vehicles have some neat designs, but once mashed together it's a real hodgepodge. Doesn't help that the colours are completely different and he can barely stand up while combined.

Pros: Neat looking vehicle modes and I will always love a combiner gimmick.

Cons: Really no ability to properly pose due to stability issues and I never liked how the various appendages were only drones.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #237
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 08-03-2018, 10:42 AM   #238
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

118-2
DC Collectibles- DC Icons: Lex Luthor

Every time that I open a new Icons figure I have the following 3 thoughts: 1. They really are much shorter than what I have become used to with the Marvel Legends. 2. These are fantastic figures with almost perfect articulation, save one pesky thigh joint. 3. DC Collectables certainly had killed this line with an extremely odd release order. Sure, Luthor is perhaps one of the best known DC super villains and definitely has a place in a comic based toy line, but to be released before Superman? Really?

Not being totally familiar with the Luthor’s comic history I’m not sure what this suit is all about however I assume it emulates some super powers making it capable for him to stand toe to toe with Superman, but that’s really about it. And while I appreciate the accessories, I have even less understanding what they are for. Maybe an energy shield and some type of weather sceptre? Ah well, I guess it will just be a mystery as I really do not have the time to care right now.

Pros: Fantastic sculpt with a nice selection of accessories and okay amount of accessories.

Cons: Like the other Icons he a little on the “short” side and has no thigh swivel. Also, and this could be just my figure, but the legs are pretty loose which is a pet peeve of mine.

Even Luthor can't figure it out.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #239
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

119-2
Disney Infinity 3.0- Tron Legacy- Quorra

I actually liked Tron Legacy quite a bit and It’s hard to believe that it was released 7 years ago. It very much seems as though there was some pretty sizable plans for the franchise what with a sequel in the works, an animated series and 2 Tron figures featured the Infinity 3.0 Game with nothing ever really panning out. I’m sure we will never know why, but if I was a betting man I would put my REPUBLIC CREDITS *wink* on a little indie franchise called Star Wars as to why most projects were cancelled in favor of turning their shiny multi-billion dollar investment into a money making machine. And don’t get me wrong I’m not mad; just disappointed as I feel that Tron is unique and special and could have been a really neat franchise in it’s own right, but perhaps like the the original Tron, Tron Legacy was just a bit before it’s time.

Pros: Really excellent sculpt and overall look to the figure.

Cons: Part of a cancelled video game and never saw its full potential as a franchise.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:46 AM   #240
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

120-2
DC Collectibles- The New Adventures of Batman: Poison Ivy.

It pains me to write this as I REALLY love the idea of this toy line, but I can understand how some fans lost faith in this series. I’m not saying that its bad per se, but the last few releases have been disappointing. Perhaps it’s just too big of an ask to have a fully articulated toy line based on the stylized nature of the Timm-verse cartoon. Also, as with Icons Luther, I have to ask why this version of Ivy was released before the much better known Animated Series style. (To be honest, I was not even sure that they did end up doing a BTAS Ivy.. SMH.)

Pros: A very nice sculpt and works well as a static figure.

Cons: The stylized nature of the figure hinders articulation, figure feels really fragile and the accessories are pretty lame considering what some of the other figures came with. Also, that damn stand sucks sooooo hard.