ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 08-08-2018, 09:36 AM   #241
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

121-2
Bandai Tamashii Nations- Movie Realization- Star Wars: Samurai General Darth Vader.

First off, kudos to Bandai for making a really beautiful figure. The detail on the sculpt is fantastic and captures the feudal Japanese look that is typical of this line. As with the others in the line, he comes complete with multiple accessories and hands/fists and a good amount of articulation that are both perfect for dynamic posing. Also kudos to Bandai for including 2 different styles of fists emulating his one robotic hand of Prequel fame. My only complaint, and this is not really limited to this figure in particular, is that Vader doesn’t lend himself to very compelling action poses. For instance, have we ever seen Vader run? Jump? Even bend his knees? Perhaps it was my armature photography skills, but I felt that all my action shots look just a bit off, but maybe it's because anything more than a imposing stance just looks off to the eye.

Pros: Amazing sculpt with great articulation and accessories. A fantastic figure for any Star Wars fan looking for a unique take on one of the most iconic villains of all time, Darth Vader

Cons: His plastic cape is a bit of a hindrance when posing.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #242
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

122-2
Hasbro- GI Joe- Retaliation: GI Joe Trooper

Did anyone else participate in the GI Joe mail away offer to “join” the Steel Brigade? For those unaware it was your basic 80’s mail away program where you would fill out a very professional seaming personality test, send some “points” and a cheque for shipping / handling and wait 6-8 weeks for an exclusive figure and personalized character sheet complete with Code name. It was an extremely cool promotion and I totally bought in. I even displayed my character sheet in a homemade, custom frame with my code name “Stingray” etched into the wood; my Mom was so proud. Anyways, that is a pretty lengthy way to say that I appreciate when generic Joes are released because it’s fun, for me anyways as a kid, to make up my own characters to interact with the other Joes.

Pros: Loads of accessories for extended adventures with a good range of motion provided by nice amount articulation for the size.

Cons: While I appreciate the unmasked head, I feel that 2 masked heads would have been preferable so, like the aforementioned Steel Brigade figure, any kid make up their own character. Also, why no stand!?!

Old 08-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #243
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 08-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #244
DanM
Aquanaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
Did anyone else participate in the GI Joe mail away offer to “join” the Steel Brigade?
I "joined" up as well. My code name was "Sureshot."
The PoC/30th/50th redo Hasbro made was a good figure too.
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:30 AM   #245
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post
I "joined" up as well. My code name was "Sureshot."
The PoC/30th/50th redo Hasbro made was a good figure too.
Serious? That's awesome. Also love that it predated the Beatie Boys song. That would have been mind blowing for me as a kid. I need to look for my old file card.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:07 AM   #246
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

123-2
Playmates- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Leonardo

Not much else to say about Leonardo that I have not already said; to reiterate: I liked the Nick series, Leo is my second favorite and I like that he has the diagonal chest strap.

So with that said, let talk turtles, namely where the franchise is heading and if I’m being honest, it's no place that I want to be. The new cartoon looks… not great. Hopefully I’m wrong and kudos to them for trying something new, but it just looks like it was influenced by the movies, which I don’t love, but I suppose we will see. As for toys, it looks like a collector friendly line might be off the table, so I’m not even going to worry about it.

Pros: Love the design, great arsenal of weapons, good articulation all for a fantastic price.

Cons: I would have loved more articulation for better ninja poses.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #247
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

124-2
Disney Infinity 3.0- Star Wars Rebels: Sabin Wren

Incoming opinion! Cartoons today suck. Ok, that's not fair at all. There are a lot of really great cartoons, i just don’t watch them, except for Star Wars Rebels that is. Sure, once the sting of Clone Wars getting cancelled wore off, Rebels presented itself as a really well made series. I will sat that Sabine, in my opinion, was initially not really my favourite given the who “I’m a unique artist” shtick, but she has really flourished over the series and developed her character into a bit of a badass; hell she did more for the Mandalorians that Boba felt ever could.

Pros: Nice sculpt and paint job that compliments the character nicely.

Cons: I would have rather an action pose with her helmet and dual blasters.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #248
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

125-1
Bandai- Thundercats: Cheetara

I hate this figure and it bugs me that she didn’t get something better. I suppose it has a lot to do with the action feature that this size class has, but it all but limits her articulation to the point that makes me wonder if she would not have been better as a statue.

Pros: The sculpt is alright, I got it for real cheap.

Cons: Useless articulation, no ability to move her neck, floppy noodle of bo staff weapon.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:47 PM   #249
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

126-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Headmaster: Highbrow

Much like Chromedome from this same series, I feel as though Highbrow is an example of the near perfect action figure/toy regardless of the fact that I have a soft spot for him on account of my brother getting him as a kids at the same time I got Chromedome.

Pros: Great articulation, a kick-ass helicopter with an added robot driver- literally everything I look for in a great toy.

Cons: Head is really wiggily and I hate all the gaps in the plastic in modern day Transformers.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #250
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys