ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 11-07-2015, 11:51 AM   #11
Onslaught
Cylon Centurion
Re: Toys R Us Canada & Their Increasingly Insane Prices

My TRU buddy in Warcraft hype looked up the 6" figures on the system to see if they were there. They're listed at $34.99. Not sure how smart that is... And the individual cost for the store is around $19, so they're looking for even bigger profit than with NECA products. Doesn't seem like the best way for a movie tie in line to succeed. Though I suppose there's at least the possibility of a sale for these figures.

Comparatively, a Marvel Legend costs the store $18 which they then charge $24.99. Quite the discrepancy from these Warcraft figures.

Edit: just an update, Jakks products actually have an associated fob cost, which I'm pretty sure means TRU has to pay some shipping for the products. However I can't imagine it affects every unit. The fob costs are pretty low but if they were per unit then there is practically no profit on any Jakks product (and a loss on some, which makes no sense) so I highly doubt that's the case.

Last edited by Onslaught; 11-07-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Onslaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #12
pacinofan
Red Shirt

Yeah, TRU has lost it. They have the Neca Ultimate Jason listed for $45.99!!! US TRU has it listed for 22.99 US (30.59 CAD) and Canucktibles has it on pre-order for 29.99 CAD. There's no way TRU can justify $45 for that figure.
pacinofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:20 PM   #13
Napseeker
Dark Knight

I just recently started collecting the NECA Alien/Aliens figures because they finally were doing Ripley in all her glorious forms... but yeah total sticker shock when I saw the AvP 2-pack at TRU. Craziness! Especially when I just wanted the Alien from that set.

If they were still at their $25+tax price, I'd have likely cleared out most of those red and brown Genocide alien figures by now. But at $35+tax? They can sit there until they go on clearance.
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:48 PM   #14
cloud
Master of the Universe

I usually wait for a promo sale with TRU.
Sometimes the price are a bit too expensive.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:37 PM   #15
iammingy
Clonetrooper

NECA stuff rarely goes on sale at TRU?
iammingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:21 PM   #16
Napseeker
Dark Knight

Did they not have a sale last XMas for NECA? I thought I remember almost buying the "Big Chap" ALIEN figure because there was a sale (maybe I am misremembering) but skipped it at the time. Regret that now, since I did end up collecting the NECA Alien line 9 months later.

We'll see if they have a sale for this December or not...
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #17
Wintermute
Master of the Universe

HA! I just popped into Cheapies Records (a music store in Hamilton) and they have the Alien vs Predator - 7" Scale Action Figure - 2 pack w/ mini comic selling for $64.99. That's a much more reasonable price.

So hopefully it shows up at other shops at that same price.
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #18
Hoffman
Agent of Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught View Post
My TRU buddy in Warcraft hype looked up the 6" figures on the system to see if they were there. They're listed at $34.99. Not sure how smart that is... And the individual cost for the store is around $19, so they're looking for even bigger profit than with NECA products. Doesn't seem like the best way for a movie tie in line to succeed. Though I suppose there's at least the possibility of a sale for these figures.

Comparatively, a Marvel Legend costs the store $18 which they then charge $24.99. Quite the discrepancy from these Warcraft figures.
I would imagine it's because there's no competition on the Warcraft stuff.

I can almost guarantee that they'd charge more for ML if Wal-Mart wasn't carrying them.
Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:58 PM   #19
Wintermute
Master of the Universe

^That's also probably why TRU is charging $29.99 for that exclusive Black Series First Order Snowtrooper Officer as opposed to the usual price of $24.99, because they know Walmart isn't selling it.
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:59 AM   #20
Onslaught
Cylon Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
I would imagine it's because there's no competition on the Warcraft stuff.

I can almost guarantee that they'd charge more for ML if Wal-Mart wasn't carrying them.
So no one else will be carrying the Warcraft line? I'm assuming you mean specifically at mass retail, and with Zellers and Target gone that leaves just TRU and Walmart. Strange and sad that that's reason enough to just blow the price out of the water. I personally feel like they should try to cultivate this collectors audience and get them to keep coming back by keeping prices fair. Make TRU the premier collectors' figure location which would then extend to other products including those that everyone sells like ML. Like I mentioned on the last page, when NECA stuff at TRU was 24.99 it all sold pretty fast, and now other than a buy here and there, the NECA stuff just piles up. Then again they're the big company so they should know what they're doing.
Onslaught is offline   Reply With Quote