ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 11-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #161
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here

Transformers- Brawl: Fall of Cybertron

The last of the Fall of Cybertron Bruticus team and much like the rest of the group, it's a mixed bag. I like the tank mode as it makes sense as a Cybertronian design and the robot mode looks pretty nice. Unfortunately the feet are a bit lacking and he is difficult to pose due to the rather large backpack.

Pros: Nice sleek tank mode.

Cons: Unstable in robot mode.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:28 AM   #162
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Transformers- Combiner Wars: Brawl

I feel like Brawl is the unique mould of the bunch and while I think that is a plus in itself, it still has one design element that drives me crazy: the stupid waste joint that just barely holds the top and bottom together. If you even look at the figure wrong it falls over and becomes a floppy mess which is a total shame as the rest of the figure is near perfect.

Pros: Great tank mode, nice robot mode (aside from the floppyness)

Cons: Questionable design choice for the mid section.

Last edited by Team Jetfire; 11-02-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #163
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Mattel- Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice: Superman

Before we start let's just take a quick second to reflect on all the things you could do with $31.50: Go see a movie, get a nice shirt or even buy Subway for lunch all week (we’re talking a pizza sub alright? Nothing fancy!). With that said, Mattel and the various toy retailers feel that you should take that amount of money, a fairly large sum considering what we have established that you can buy, and spend it on this POS. Let's see what your 30 bucks gets you: a decent head sculpt (credit where credit is due). Articulation that would be considered ok in 2003 and a garbage BAF piece for the handle of display Grapple Gun. No extra hands, no accessories and no stand. Lucky for me, I got mine on sale for $7, but I still kind of feel ripped off. Seriously shame on Mattel for this trash; I sincerely hope that they take a big hit and are forced to up their game as Hasbro and DC collectables is just so much better.

Pros: Decent head sculpt

Cons: Everything else

Old 11-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #164
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

Mattel is pretty hurtin'...The only figures I have picked up from them in the last few years have been the classic Ghostbusters that made a brief appearance at Walmart this summer and I still have not opened them because I know how crappy they are going to be outside of the box.

Toybiz Marvel legends had better articulation in 2002 and even prior to that with the Spider Man Classics line.
turtle power eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #165
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle power eh View Post
Mattel is pretty hurtin'...The only figures I have picked up from them in the last few years have been the classic Ghostbusters that made a brief appearance at Walmart this summer and I still have not opened them because I know how crappy they are going to be outside of the box.

Toybiz Marvel legends had better articulation in 2002 and even prior to that with the Spider Man Classics line.
Yeah, they have taken that DC licence and totally squandered it. I mean, there has been some ok things and it's nice that DC Collectibles has been able to pick up some of the slack, but they are not without problems either. In a perfect world Hasbro would pick it up, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

I actually have that first ToyBiz Spiderman Wave and still holds up pretty well; it's amzing how things have gotten so much more expensive, but suck for quality.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:01 AM   #166
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Mattel- Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice: Batman

Today we have the V to yesterday's Superman and I am not much more impressed with Bat-fleck then I was with the man of steel. He does have an added ab-crunch (improvement!) but has a moulded hand that looks like he should be holding something, but nothing was included as far as accessories (more of the same garbage). Seriously Mattel, how is this a good toy for kids or collectors.

Pros: Added Ab-crunch, decent likeness.

Cons: Everything else.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:13 PM   #167
Orchix
Super Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
He does have an added ab-crunch (improvement!) but has a moulded hand that looks like he should be holding something, but nothing was included as far as accessories (more of the same garbage). Seriously Mattel, how is this a good toy for kids or collectors.

Pros: Added Ab-crunch, decent likeness.

Cons: Everything else.
The Suicide Squad DC Multiverse line by Mattel actually repackaged this same figure with tons of accessories, burning anyone who bought the first version. Plus, the first version can still be found pegwarming. Personally I think they're alright figures, just not worth the same price as Legends.
Orchix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #168
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

I debated this Bat-Fleck figure, but from your mini review I am certainly glad I passed on it. I was thining of picking up the Suicide Squad Harley just to use for a custom in a diorama street scene (as a hooker or something LOL) but Mattel just cant win me over as a customer.

The hip articulation is so gnarly looking!
turtle power eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:21 AM   #169
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchix View Post
The Suicide Squad DC Multiverse line by Mattel actually repackaged this same figure with tons of accessories, burning anyone who bought the first version. Plus, the first version can still be found pegwarming. Personally I think they're alright figures, just not worth the same price as Legends.
Really? That's really brutal. I forsee a bunch hitting Dollarama in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle power eh View Post
I debated this Bat-Fleck figure, but from your mini review I am certainly glad I passed on it. I was thining of picking up the Suicide Squad Harley just to use for a custom in a diorama street scene (as a hooker or something LOL) but Mattel just cant win me over as a customer.

The hip articulation is so gnarly looking!
Like I said, for $7 it'a not bad, but I feel bad for anyone who spent $30.

Good luck finding anything in the sea of Batman, Superman, Lex and random bat-monster.

Serioulsy what is that thing???
Old 11-08-2016, 01:21 AM   #170
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Transformers- Fall of Cybertron: Bruticus

Okay okay, I'm not technically opening a toy for the next two reviews, but I wanted to showcase each combined version of Bruticus after reviewing all their reparative limbs (that sounded weirder than I intended). The thing that kind of blows me away for these two is how quickly Hasbro released two very different versions of the same character; they are completely unique from each other and both have their own strengths and weaknesses. For the record, I also have the Bruticus repaint from RID days so it is nice to see how far the design and construction of the figure has come over the years. With that said, I'll just run down each figure in their respective limb mode and talk about the combined form after.

Onslaught- Main Body. Connection points are solid and the head sculpt is nice, but details are washed out as it is dark navy blue. I also don’t like how is backpack cannons are removed for use of the the (terrible) combined weapon.

Blastoff- Right Arm. I like how the upper portion of the ship frames the outside of arm, but there is no allowance for an elbow bend.

Vortex- Left Arm. Much better movement than Blastoff, but loses much of the look of his vehicle mode however it allows for elbow movement. I also hate how the hand/fist is different than Blastoff.

Swindle- Right Leg. Pretty well just a car mode standing on its bumper. Reminds me of when I used to pretend to make a combiners with my Hotwheels cars a kid.

Brawl- Left leg. Probably the best of the bunch. Not sure why, but he received the most unique tooling to form the left leg.

Overall Fall of Cybertron Bruticus is a bit of a mixed bag. In combined mode he stands alright, but has a fairly limited range of motion. I love the connection points as that was always an issue with combiners losing their limbs in G1. I will also give credit that all the bots have a very unique mould and look to them, which is nice, but also creates a bit of a hodgepodge look. I’m satisfied, but also understand some of the criticism that Fall of Cybertron Bruticus has received.

Pros: Unique moulds, Strong Connection points.

Cons: Limited posability, ridiculous combined weapon.