ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 08-12-2010, 01:54 AM   #1
pud333
Master of the Universe
GI POC Review: Best Joe Offering Yet!

I got back into collecting Joes, like a lot of people, thanks to the 25th anniversary line. I sat out on ROC because I thought it was horrible, and that I found it too creepy to have action figures of a Wayan brother staring at me from my shelf.

I have jumped back in with the new Pursuit of Cobra line. I have to say, this line is absolutely fantastic. This does what 25th anniversary did, but way better. They basically take it to another level. The detail is incredible on the figures, and the accessories are plentiful. Let's jump right in:

Let's just start with the best of the bunch. Snow Job. He is awesome, with tons of accessories. He comes with a huge sniper rifle, a pair of skis, poles, backpack, phone, gas canister, frying pan, water bottle, and a sleeping mat, removable jacket, and ice pick. The best part is that he can hold everything all at the same time! As of right now, he is my favorite Joe of all time.

Snake Eyes: Snake Eyes is very... bland. Very disappointing. He comes with two machine guns, removable vest, an assault rifle, and a sword. Nothing really worth mentioning. Timber is his best accessory, as you can wag his tail and his head moves at the same time.

Duke: The best Duke yet, IMO. He comes with a giant oversized backpack that has an elastic rope on it to hold various accessories, like his rifle. He also comes with a handgun, web gear, huge machete, and a second assault rifle. He also comes with a flashlight that can be placed inside the backpack.

Beachhead: best Beachhead by far. He's one of my favorites from this line. He looks badass. He comes with a removable vest, handgun, gas mask, flippers, two machine guns, two assault rifles, and what looks like a laser rifle. The only real downside is that he has so many weapons and can't hold them all. A backpack would have been nice. You know it's a good figure when he comes with too many accessories! Also, he has a little wire from his ankle to a device on his leg. It's kind of annoying because it pops out at the ankle whenever you move the leg, but it's forgivable.

EDIT: My Beachhead only came with one knife. There is another knife holster on his back, but I guess they didn't pack a second knife. I've seen other reviews where there are two knives, so I guess it's a gamble as to how many knives you get. I checked my other Beachhead which is still MOC, and I can't see another knife. Must be something overlooked at the factory by some workers.

Cobra Commander: He's a straight repaint of the ROC CC, but I hated that version, and love this one. What a difference a new paint job makes! He comes with a giant gun, a handgun, and his Cobra staff.

EDIT: I am wrong, his head sculpt is new and different than the ROC CC. At any rate, he is one of the best figures in this wave.

Alley Viper. What can I say? Just another Alley Viper. Nothing to see here. Pretty much another repaint. He comes with a shield, baton, gas mask, regular helmet, secondary helmet with removable goggles, two knives, machine gun, and that Crossbow thing on his backpack.

Firefly: Another favorite, and yet another best version ever. He comes with two handguns, a separate head, arm guards?, a machine gun, two bombs (landmines?) and a backpack that can hold everything, including the separate head! The separate head kind of makes him look like an alien, so I prefer the regular one, but it's cool non-the-less.

Storm Shadow: I hate the mold. No need to have a shirtless SS. However, the accessories are kickass. He comes with a backpack that holds four swords! Two other swords, four ninja stars (that clip to him), two claw things (sorry, not up on my ninja wares), and an awesome, chainlinked weapon! The really cool part is, his swords can attach to make a double bladed weapon!

Overall, I am blown away by these. Some truly excellent figures, mixed in with a couple bland ones, but really a great start to Pursuit of Cobra.

P1050521.jpg P1050522.jpg P1050554.JPG P1050518.jpg P1050519.jpg P1050532.jpg
P1050533.jpg P1050544.JPG P1050515.jpgP1050516.jpg

Last edited by pud333; 08-15-2010 at 01:52 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:55 AM   #2
pud333
Master of the Universe
Re: GI POC Review: Best Joe Offering Yet!

More pictures.

P1050530.jpgP1050531.jpgP1050524.jpgP1050525.jpgP1050527.jpgP1050528.jpgP1050534.jpgP1050536.jpg

Last edited by pud333; 08-12-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:00 AM   #3
pud333
Master of the Universe

Final set of pictures.

P1050550.jpgP1050540.jpgP1050543.JPGP1050545.jpgP1050553.JPGP1050557.jpgP1050537.jpgP1050538.jpgP1050539.jpgP1050549.jpg

Last edited by pud333; 08-12-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
ccthedj
Red Shirt

I totally agree!!! No stupid oversized weapons, just amazing detail.

Love it!!!!
ccthedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
ccthedj
Red Shirt

Wave 2...

Recondo and Jungle Viper!!!!

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=9&itemid=16241
ccthedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
snowman_ejc
Super Friend

I just got my POC figures and I agree they are great.

Beachhead: a really wicked figure, but I can't figure out are they supposed to be flippers that he comes with? They look a little weird, but it is one of the best Beachhead's yet.

Duke: This is by far the best Duke that ever came out. The jungle commando look is a great fit for Duke. Now he looks like a hands on field commander. I just love the machete on his belt.

Alley Viper: Alley Viper has always been one of my favorites in the Viper Corp. Now he has some realistic colours and with the different helmets, he can be changed to make different groups of vipers.

Snake Eyes: Looks more commando than ninja. I like the idea that you can flip up the visor and see SE's eyes.

Cobra Commander: The crimson red makes the new design of CC awesome. I think now with the new colour and the new card design, CC is a must have now.

Firefly: More armour means more action. I like the new design of him. A definite upgrade from the ROC gunship version.

Snow Job: Great accessories, but just another arctic trooper. I do like the reactive armour chest piece under his parka.

Storm Shadow: The samurai style skirt piece and how the swords attach together make this figure cool. I would have chosen different legs than the ROC version and I am not a big fan of the new head sculpt.

The figures for the vehicles are a little disappointing compared to the single pack figures. My favorite is Storm Rider. This new Dreadnok looks great.
snowman_ejc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
aquanet
Agent of Shield
aquanet's Ebay Auctions

I like the fact that they can store all this extra stuff, plus extras like removable knifes and what not. You sold me on the firefly!

I'm on the hunt for these, where did you pick them up?

Beachhead is a Marine, of course he comes with flippers!

My Trade List | Follow me on Twitter
aquanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
pud333
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccthedj View Post
Wave 2...

Recondo and Jungle Viper!!!!

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=9&itemid=16241
Yeah, really looking forward to Wave 2. Also really looking forward to the new articulation they will be adding to the Joe line in 2011, including wrists that not only swivel, but can bend on the joint to help hold the guns better, like the SDCC Sgt, Slaughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman_ejc View Post
Beachhead: a really wicked figure, but I can't figure out are they supposed to be flippers that he comes with? They look a little weird, but it is one of the best Beachhead's yet.

Snow Job: Great accessories, but just another arctic trooper. I do like the reactive armour chest piece under his parka.

The figures for the vehicles are a little disappointing compared to the single pack figures. My favorite is Storm Rider. This new Dreadnok looks great.
Yep, they're flippers. He's an urban assault figure, so I'm guessing at some point he might use the flippers in the sewer systems or even through waterways that go through some cities. I wish Snow Job's goggles could come off. And yeah, the vehicle drivers kinda suck in their detail. But I definitely want that Storm Rider guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanet View Post
I like the fact that they can store all this extra stuff, plus extras like removable knifes and what not. You sold me on the firefly!

I'm on the hunt for these, where did you pick them up?

Beachhead is a Marine, of course he comes with flippers!
Firefly is awesome. You will NOT be disappointed. I actually bought these through BBTS because I hate toy hunting (I have the worst luck. Have never found anything really good, I just waste my time and gas, so I always order online.) However, these are showing up at Walmart at a great price. I believe these have shown up in Ontario. Check the toy sightings threads.

Last edited by pud333; 08-12-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
pattycakeman
Cylon Centurion

I knew these figures would be awesome, but backpacks that actually open? on a 1:18 scale figure? thats pretty much the greatest thing ive ever heard,

I would have to say ROC started becoming awesome after a few waves, I personally loved the figures, but i also stayed away from ALL the figures with movie likenesses (is that even a word)... but the later waves without the giant weapons were awesome..

Why the hell am i so excited over backpacks??!?!?!

PS thanks for the great review pud
pattycakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
pud333
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakeman View Post
Why the hell am i so excited over backpacks??!?!?!

PS thanks for the great review pud
No problem! You're excited for backpacks like I am because being able to store everything on the figure at the 1:18 scale is just too freaking cool! I mean, when you look at a guy like Firefly, if he didn't have his extra head, you could probably fit a flashlight, phone, dynamite, etc! When you look at the quality you get for the price, nothing beats these Joes at that scale. I mean, I love MU (and I know licensing has a lot to do with things), but these Joes are fantastic!

I put my Wolf Hound and Ghost Hawk together. I'll assemble my Hisstank later tonight and review those here. I didn't pick up the bike with Storm Rider, but I might if I see him at Walmart.

Tags
poc gi joe review