ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 08-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
pattycakeman
Cylon Centurion
Re: GI POC Review: Best Joe Offering Yet!

I'm loving the backpacks and the high number of accessories and the multiple heads and the fact that the price point is at a reasonable level. I am really liking the general direction the 1:18 scale is going with all the articulation.. even the shotty movie figures like aribender and prince of persia, that will end up in the clearance section, are looking better and more articulated.
pattycakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:03 AM   #12
pud333
Master of the Universe

So I finally got around to taking pictures of the vehicles. I got all of wave 1 except the motorcycle. (Just doesn't do anything for me, though I do want a Stormrider.)

Anyway, first up is the Ghost Hawk. Now this is a retooling of the 25th anniversary Hawk. I really like it except for the cockpit. The little window in the front just isn't big enough. The Ghost Hawk comes with two removable guns mounted one on each side, with Tomahawk who has a removable vest, helmet, and knife. The figures that come with the vehicles are pretty underwhelming. The gun in the front can pivot from side to side, and the boosters can move horizontal or vertical to help with lift off.

The Hisstank is very, very cool. The best Hisstank since the original, IMO. First off, the tank has treads. TREADS! With a couple removable guns and a driver who comes with the same staff Cobra Commander comes with, a removable vest, and a handgun. The Hisstank is very cool because you can press a button and it sits up, with the ability to rotate the main body 360 degrees. I also found that there are a couple holes on the Hisstank, that allow for the placement of the staff. I have no idea if this is what it is meant for, but it fits. The POC vehicle line is intended to have interchangeable parts. As you can see, I attached the Ghosthawk's removable guns on the Hisstank, to customize it for extra firepower. You can fit a driver in the front, or the back. My only beef is that the tank is a brown/maroon color, though it looks much better in person. If you are holding out for a black Hisstank, fear not, Hasbro has announced one on the way.

The Wolf Hound. Now I've always wanted one of these ever since I was a kid. It's exactly like the original 80's version, except it has a new paint job. The driver doesn't come with anything, sadly. Just a removable hood and goggles. With the ability to fire four missiles in succession, the Wolf Hound is a great toy. I honestly think I like it more for the nostalgia value. My buddy had this as a kid, and I was very jealous of him at the time. While the Wolf Hound comes in the same size box as the Hisstank, it's clear which one is smaller. Both the Hisstank and Wolf Hound come in pieces, but once assembled, the Hisstank is just huge compared to the rest.

Overall, the vehicles are pretty good. Not as impressive as the individual figures, but the Hisstank definitely stands above the rest. I never picked up the Doom Cycle, or whatever it's called. If someone wants to let us know what it's like, feel free to do so.

Fianlly, I must say that assembling the vehicles and putting the stickers on is a huge part of what makes GI Joes so great. It really takes me back to the time when I was a kid, opening my Joe vehicles and spending what seemed like forever assembling and placing the stickers. The Hisstank alone took me about an hour to place the stickers. (I'm kind of anal about it though. I'm one of these guys that uses tweezers and wants to make sure each sticker is exactly where it should be.) While the first wave of figures I give a solid 9/10 overall, I'd say the vehicle wave is a good 7/10.

P1050558.JPG

P1050559.JPG

P1050561.JPG

P1050562.JPG

P1050563.JPG

P1050565.JPG

P1050566.JPG

P1050567.JPG

P1050568.jpg

Last edited by pud333; 08-14-2010 at 03:09 AM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
lars573
Clone trooper

I gotta say that the only single carded figure that I want is the Alley Viper. I want that HISS tank and the Doom cycle too. However those Mechsuits I needs like I need air. And the Mechsuit cycle thing.

Last edited by lars573; 08-15-2010 at 11:24 AM.
lars573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #14
pud333
Master of the Universe

I think I'll make a decision on whether I get the mech suits when I see them in person. Still very undecided about it. And what is it with Alley Vipers? Everyone loves them so much, and while I like the original Arah and the new 25th ann versions, he doesn't really do anything for me.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #15
lars573
Clone trooper

Well I'm a huge sucker mech suits. Comes from watching Robotech, Saber Rider, and Voltron as a kid. And really I think the 25th ann Alley Viper is silly looking, colour wise. Like most of the troopers in that 7 pack. It's the main reason I haven't put up the cash for it yet. Where as the POC repaint is much more real looking.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #16
pud333
Master of the Universe

Yeah, I too prefer the POC paint job. The only reason why I even kept the 25th Alley Viper is because that was one of the Cobra figures I had as a kid. Purely for nostalgia sake.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:33 PM   #17
lars573
Clone trooper

Well I just saw many of the figures and vehicles up close. I want those mechs even more now. Plus the doom cycle is deliciously ridiculous.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #18
pattycakeman
Cylon Centurion

I am very undecided about the vehicles in POC, as i am about all vehicles lately (cost plus display space are a concern). I orignally hated the look of the new HISS tank, but the more and more i see it the more i like it. The wolf hound looks awesome jsut classic, the Ghost Hawk and Doom Cycle (which btw i saw for the first time in person yesterday at Zellers) are very underwhelming, while i love the figure that comes with the doomcycle, i have no need for the vehicle itself.

The Mechsuits.. I have very high hopes for these! I'm like lars on this one, just the idea of mechsuits gets me excited, i really hope im not disapointed by them. I guess i have a soft spot for mechs and giant robots that fit into the 1:18 scale universe i got going on.
pattycakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #19
lars573
Clone trooper

The mechs are apparently Sigma 6 toys retooled with 1/18th scale cockpits.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:51 AM   #20
pud333
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakeman View Post
I am very undecided about the vehicles in POC, as i am about all vehicles lately (cost plus display space are a concern). I orignally hated the look of the new HISS tank, but the more and more i see it the more i like it. The wolf hound looks awesome jsut classic, the Ghost Hawk and Doom Cycle (which btw i saw for the first time in person yesterday at Zellers) are very underwhelming, while i love the figure that comes with the doomcycle, i have no need for the vehicle itself.

The Mechsuits.. I have very high hopes for these! I'm like lars on this one, just the idea of mechsuits gets me excited, i really hope im not disapointed by them. I guess i have a soft spot for mechs and giant robots that fit into the 1:18 scale universe i got going on.
The Ghosthawk and Doom Cycle are definitely underwhelming. I really like the HISS and Wolfhound though!

Tags
poc gi joe review