ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 11-26-2020, 04:54 PM   #761
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 01:48 PM   #762
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

467-2
Hasbro- GI Joe Classified: Roadblock

OOOOOOOHHHH BABY, HERE WE GOOOOOOO! It's no surprise that 2020 has been a real dumpster fire, but slightly improved for this toy collector, with some really exciting new toy lines including the long overdue 6” GI Joe Classified line which I've been wanting since Hasbro was able to pull off the Black Series line. And yes, there are some issues, ok, a lot of issues including some questionable character designs, overly kiddy weapon choices and some of the worst distribution that I have seen in my 25+ years of collection, it is still a step in the right direction. Let's just hope that Hasbro will see this demand and continue the line.

Pros: Roadblock was a great initial figure for me to start with on this line: He's got a great overall sculpt based on his Version 2 design, great articulation that rivals the most articulated Marvel Legends figures, and some decent accessories including a rail gun and bowie knife that, unbeknownst to me) can be stored in his vest.

Cons: Look, you are talking to a guy who loves SIGMA SIX so futuristic designs and weapons do not bother me at all. That said, some military fans will take issue with the weird knee pads and SCI-FI weapons, and I get it, but that was never really why I like GI JOE. That said, an actual issue with this figure is the limited mobility of his torso due to the rubber vest.

Old 11-27-2020, 03:13 PM   #763
ghostlurk29
Mutant

Wish the head on Roadblock was more in the style of the original 80s figure (kinda looked like Delroy Lindo)
ghostlurk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:07 PM   #764
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlurk29 View Post
Wish the head on Roadblock was more in the style of the original 80s figure (kinda looked like Delroy Lindo)
It’s interesting that they weren’t a bit more detailed on RBs head sculpt. It’s not like they don’t have the ability. It’s also weird that the CI Roadblock is so different. Should have been Heavy Duty.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:07 PM   #765
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

468-2
DC Collectables- The New Batman Adventures: Scarecrow

Continuing my quest to re-watch all the DC Animated features to date and give some thoughts regarding 3 key touchpoints: Animation Style, Voice Acting & Story. These are really just rough notes as I watched the movie and might not make a whole lot of sense unless you have recently watched it. See 290-2, 303-2, 318-2, 331-2, 344-2, 358-2, 369-2, 371-2, 385-2, 399-2, 414-2, 426-2, 441-2, 453-2 & 462-2 for my previous instalments.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 2- 2013

Animation Style: As this is a continuation of The Dark Knight Returns story, the animation is the same so I’ll echo my statements from review 462-2. That said I do want to touch on some great imagery from this film including Superman/Clark Kent posing with the Eagle, Batman’s armour and of course Bruno (the lady with swastikas on her boobs).

Voice acting: Pretty well all the same, with the addition of Mark Valley, a working TV actor from a ton of different things who does a really great job as Superman, Robin Atkin Downes, known from voices overs for a bunch of different cartoons including Ben 10, Ducktails and Guardians of the Galaxy and an uncredited Conan O’Brian as the talk show host David Endochrine that Joker eventually kills.

Story: Again, it’s been a while since I read the trade paperback, but I feel that the movie follows the story fairly closely however feels much more rushed than part one as there is a lot going on. Some highlights for me: It’s was hinted at in the first movie, but given that TDKR is set in the 80’s there is a very interesting political bend to the story. I’m not going to get into it here as I could probably write a few pages on Reagan alone, but will say my overall feeling, especially for Reagan, is not great and I think the story backs me up on that. In any case I feel that Part 2 was a more enjoyable movie and really loved the segment and subsequent brutal fight with the Joker, The battle and eventual truce with the Gotham PD and of course the phenomenal fight with Superman. I’m not going to lie, I was a bit choked up through it all. Over I really love the story of TDKR and feel that it’s a great snapshot of the Batman from that time. It serves as a great “what if” story if Batman quite after the murder of Jason Todd and it’s interesting how much the DC universe and the Bat Family has changed since then.

Pros: While this is not my preferred Scarecrow (I like the Animated Series version better as it looks like an actual Scarecrow), I will say that I love the overall look and sculpt of this figure as it is legitimately scary looking with skeleton looking features, scraggly hair and a frigging noose for a necklace. Articulation is pretty standard, allows for a number of decent poses and comes with a number of accessories including some hands, a switch and fear spray canister.

Cons: While this is more of a frustration with the series, is it REALLY annoying that the Animated Scarecrow got such a limited release. Also, I will never not hate the design of that stand.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:58 PM   #766
Toradoch
Super Friend

I would love to see McFarlane take a stab at this character.
Toradoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:41 PM   #767
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toradoch View Post
I would love to see McFarlane take a stab at this character.
Agreed! I’d love more Animated stuff from him, especially the super villains.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #768
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

469-2
Hasbro- Transformers Generations Fall of Cybertron: Shockwave.

I feel that I have opened more Shockwaves since starting these reviews than any other Transformer character and I’m not sure why. It’s not like he is a main character, or any more important than any other Transformers character, but perhaps it’s because he’s just the one guy that I’m paying attention to. In any case, this could be my last one for a while so I will do my best to appreciate him while I can.

It always makes me laugh when I think about the mythos created for the Transformers toys with Shockwave being particularly funny. Just as a quick reminder, the first 2 waves of Transformers figures were comprised of transforming toys from a few different Japanese toy lines. So that means someone had the task of unpacking all these figures on an office table, arbitrarily deciding who is a hero and who is a villain and then create back stories that would be incorporated into episodes of a kids cartoon that people would hold onto for years and years after. It’s literally a miracle and a crazy magic trick that it works as well as it did. Take Shockwave for example: the show runner looked at the figure that would eventually become Shockwave, likely noticed that he was a different looking sci-fi looking gun and robot and wrote in to the cartoon that he would stay on Cybertron, while the other Decepticons, who were all “typical looking”, chased after the Autobots to Earth! That is just brilliant and likely one of the reasons why the series did so well.

Pros: Well, it’s Shockwave, so if you are a fan of the character, you will be happy to have him on your shelf. The homages, including purple color, single red eye and arm cannon are all there in robot mode, the transformation is fairly simple, the articulation is quite good with no kibble hindrance and the robot mode is serviceable as a spaceship type thing.

Cons: I’ll be honest; I was not impressed when I first took him out of the package. He felt flimsy and cheap and I was really put off by the fact that he seemed to have to hold his signature canon like a gun. After messing with him for pics, I was able to figure out the blaster art and appreciated the Cybertronian style of the figure. Unfortunately the vehicle mode still feels like an afterthought, but I’m sure a kid would have liked it.

Old 12-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #769
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 12-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #770
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

470-2
Diamond Select- Avatar: The Last Airbender: Katara.

As of this writing McFarlane has announced that they are producing Avatar figures and I could not be happier. I feel that there is a lot of potential for the line and really look forward to a McFarlane take, but just hope they keep up the articulation from the current lines. (Quick sidebar, on Instagram, some dude was making fun of collectors who liked articulation on their action figures. Like equating posing figures to being childish? I suppose the irony was lost on him given that he was posting on a video about a new toy, but whatever. And while it seems to be odd that I’m talking about my excitement for a McFarland Avatar line, it is way better than reliving my disappointment in Diamond’s offering. I’m not saying that they are bad per se, but I’m not sure why Diamond still has a loyal fan base?

Pros: Overall Katara has a nice sculpt and good likeness to her cartoon counterpart. The articulation is fine, and the water bending effect/stand is nice. She also comes with a set of other hands and her little healing water pouch that fits around her body.

Cons: **Sigh** Hard plastic skirt strikes again. I really would love to ask designers what the point of lower body articulation is if they are just going to cover it with plastic thereby limiting most poses. Also the extra hands are really no different than the existing ones and the “bending” feature is ok, but would have rather hand water effects, not unlike what Hasbro has been giving some of the Marvel figures. I’m not even excited for this line to continue.