ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 10-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #91
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

2-025
Mattel- Hot Wheels: Ecto 1 and Ecto 2.

Just a quick entry for these little impulse purchases. Perhaps I have not been paying much attention, but does Hot Wheels produce a line of other famous movie vehicles? I suppose. Already have the deloreans, Batmobiles and some Star Ships from Trek and Wars, but it would be nice to have them all the same scale.

They have done a pretty good job with the roof top accessories and differentiation between the 2. Are they worth the $4 I paid? You betcha. Would they be worth the MSRP? Not for me so take that as you need.

Pros: cool little representations of some iconic movie vehicles.

Cons: not sure where they fit into the sizing of other Hot Wheels cars.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #92
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-026
Mattel- Ghostbusters: Ray Stanz.

Growing up in the 80’s I'm obligated to like the Ghostbusters, which is for the most part correct, but the truth is that the cartoon likely had a bigger impact on me. Sure the movie was good, but the humour and farce of it all was probably lost on my youthful naivety thus the impact of the cartoon which did well to individualize each character and solidify who my favourite was… and sorry to say it was not Ray Stanz.

Nothing against the character or even Dan Aykroyd, but he was a bit of a goofball in the series and I just didn't care for him.

As for the figure, well, what can I say… they are all pretty well the same with some differences including their head sculpt and given Ray’s greenish skin tone have to say I'm a bit concerned about his medical well being. The sculpt is convincing for the character and I think the nailed his high hair and receding hairline.

Articulation is pretty standard Mattel with one big failing… they can't straighten their arms at all. Sure, a standard pose of holding their proton wand will be the norm, but it's so limited you wonder why they put a joint there at all?

Pros: Decent head sculpt and was only $4.

Cons: Weird skin tone and terrible elbow joints.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #93
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-027
Mattel- Ghostbusters: Peter Venkman.

Perhaps you can see a pattern here as I was able to get the whole set from Dollarama for $4. I was able to find Stanz and Venkman first therefore the order in how I opened these (I’m pretty OCD like that).

Peter is easily the cool guy of the bunch which is fitting as Bill Murray has somehow become the coolest guy of the planet. Not sure if anyone else is goes regularly to The Chive photo blog, but Bill Murray is pretty well their lord and savior and they certainly have profited off his image. It’s not like to don’t appreciate him as an actor or comedian, but let's be honest he’s pretty average.

Which is a perfect description of this figure; pretty average. The head sculpt works and the skin tone is much better than poor Ray’s. I also appreciate that his coveralls are not tucked into his boats, which seems like a consistent with his movie appearance. As his body is nearly identical to Ray’s, the articulation is the same and still has the stupid elbows; for shame Mattel...

Pros: Nice nod to the difference in costume, still only $4.

Cons: Head sculpt is just ok and the arm articulation is bad.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #94
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-028
Mattel- Ghostbusters: Winston Zeddmore.

Ok, 2 down, 2 to go and nĂºmero 3 is my favourite of the bunch. Not really sure why, but his character always appealed to me in as the average guy who was just there for the job and perhaps I always wished for a time that I would walk into a random business and become something great; sadly it is not the case thus far.

Again, the figure is basically the same with a different head sculpt and I think they did a decent job on this one, but maybe went a bit too old for him? Again the articulation is pretty well the same with the stupid elbows and while I didn’t look too closely it seems as though it's the same body as Ray, which is somewhat disappointing, but I suppose what else could they do?

Pros: Decent head sculpt for my favorite character and only $4!

Cons: Same body and still stupid elbows.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:53 PM   #95
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

Gotta love Winston..."if there's a steady paycheck in it, ill believe anything you say"

Not sure if I'm right but I feel like the Ghostbuster figures I picked up when they released last summer(not at Dollarama) had a bit more of a dry brushing on the flight suits. I could very well be mentally justifying paying $25 a pop for them though. LOL

I dig these figures enough to let some of the crappy articulation slide, but again its a nostalgia thing. Could they be better? Yes. Are they the worst? No.

Ray's head kills me, looks like it was squished in a vice. I display the "no ghost" build a figure/thingy to this day though. My biggest con with these is they don't come with proton stream effects, not a single trap, Ecto goggles or PKE meter pack in either...at $4 its well worth the price of admission but for the full retail I paid I would have liked to see a little more...but again this being one of the first "adult" movies I ever watched as a young child (not to mention a comedy flick that to this day still would be in my "if you were stranded on an island with only 5 movies to watch" list) helps smooth over the fact that I was fleeced buying these at full price.

Last edited by turtle power eh; 10-27-2017 at 01:10 PM.
turtle power eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:08 PM   #96
Xtreme987
Jedi Knight

Hey Jetfire where's Egon ? LoL
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #97
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle power eh View Post
Gotta love Winston..."if there's a steady paycheck in it, ill believe anything you say"

Not sure if I'm right but I feel like the Ghostbuster figures I picked up when they released last summer(not at Dollarama) had a bit more of a dry brushing on the flight suits. I could very well be mentally justifying paying $25 a pop for them though. LOL

I dig these figures enough to let some of the crappy articulation slide, but again its a nostalgia thing. Could they be better? Yes. Are they the worst? No.

Ray's head kills me, looks like it was squished in a vice. I display the "no ghost" build a figure/thingy to this day though. My biggest con with these is they don't come with proton stream effects, not a single trap, Ecto goggles or PKE meter pack in either...at $4 its well worth the price of admission but for the full retail I paid I would have liked to see a little more...but again this being one of the first "adult" movies I ever watched as a young child (not to mention a comedy flick that to this day still would be in my "if you were stranded on an island with only 5 movies to watch" list) helps smooth over the fact that I was fleeced buying these at full price.
I concur with pretty well everything you said and I was very close to dropping the $25, but held off due to space concerns. I agree that a few more accessories would have gone a long way here to differentiate the crew more. I think it's just more of a disappointment that Mattel just doesn't seem to care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme987 View Post
Hey Jetfire where's Egon ? LoL
Ask and you shall receive
Old 10-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #98
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-029
Mattel- Ghostbusters: Egon Spengler

Last but not least is the resident nerd himself, Egon. Did anyone else hate his super crazy look in the cartoon? For those who did not grow up with it, he has bleach blonde hair, in a tubular pompadour with a rat tail at the back; it’s totally random given who the character is. What can I say, the 80’s were a weird time.

If you recall my Mockingbird post I mentioned that Hasbro was able to really seamlessly add glasses that work with the headsculpt, but apparently Mattel does not have the same touch as Egon’s glasses look pretty bad. Nevertheless, the head sculpt can certainly pass for the late Harold Ramis. Once again though: a basic repainted if the rest with little noticeable change to the others. I honestly can't believe that Mattel charged $25- $30 for these.

Pros: A Harold Ramis figure for only $4!

Cons: The glasses look a bit silly and once again, the elbows are terrible.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:42 AM   #99
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Honestly didn't plan this for Halloween:

2-030
Mattel- Ghostbusters: No Ghost.

I suppose if I do an entry for the Marvel BAF’s, I should do this one too. It's funny that I never really envisioned the no ghost symbol in a 3D statue and looks a bit odd from the back and side. I guess I also pictured it with feet, so maybe it's his big ghost ass that's throwing me. He also glows in the dark which is a nice little feature.

Pros: A nice BAF that makes sense for this set of figures.

Cons: I thought he would have had feet??

And one last group picture.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:10 AM   #100
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

2-031
Disney Vinylmation- Iron-Spider

Ooh, one more Vinylmation and this one is a bit of a departure from my normal M.O.. Quick story with the same narrative: took a trip to Disneyland and wanted to pick a vinylmation for a souvenir. This time, after riding the new Guardians of the Galway: Mission Breakout ride, a particular set of Vinylmations caught me eye. A Spider-Man set featuring either Iron-Spider or Spider-Man 2099, or so I thought. The fact of the matter is that my love of all things 90’s had blinded me to the fact that this was not a typical “blind box” purchase: it was a straight up “buy the guy who was on the box”; a detail I didn't not pick up until I was taking pictures when I got home.

It's not that Iron-Spider is a bad figure, I mean, he features prominently in the Civil War arc, which I enjoy quite a bit, but I think there's a bit of a missing opportunity here to include a small metallic leg accessory for his back.

As is typical, this little guy will be favorable to me as it serves as a great memory of an amazing trip.

Pros: Nice metallic sheen, from one of my favourite storylines

Cons: is not Spider-Man 2099 and could have used a little accessory.