ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 03-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #351
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

191-2
Hasbro- Transformers Prime- First Edition Cliffjumper

So I’m willing to bet that you never knew that the ‘Brahma Bull’ himself, Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson had ties to the Transformers and in the cartoon to boot! Yep, for what can only be chalked up to a favour from the Rock, Cliffjumper was initially voiced by the peoples champ himself. I suppose this is not that crazy when you consider that at the time the Rock was not nearly as popular as he is now and the part is very small seeing as Cliffjumper basically dies in the first 10 min, but I think it’s pretty cool nevertheless.

Pros: I have always loved Cliffjumper and feel that he is constantly overshadowed by Bumblebee so when it seemed as though Cliffjumper was getting more screen time in Prime I was pretty happy. Both modes are great and have his signature horns making it a nice nod to both his voice actor and G1 look. The sculpt of robot mode looks pretty spot on and his vehicle mode (with clear windows!!) looks to be a muscle car of somesort; perhaps a Dodge Charger? Like the other Prime First Edition figures, the Transformation is reminiscent of the much more challenging Revenge of the Fallen figures. He doesn’t come with any accessories, but his fists can flip around to reveal blasters; which is just as good in my opinion.

Cons: Overall the plastic feels very flimsy and extremely fragile, which is terrifying when transforming him. Also his chest doesn’t really “tab” into place very well leaving friction to hold into place.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #352
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 03-13-2019, 08:09 AM   #353
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

Looks like the vehicle mode is a take on a newer dodge challenger...makes me sad as someone hit me head on 2 months ago and I was forced to write my challenger off. Not a big transformers guy but I may track this one down lol.
turtle power eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:02 AM   #354
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle power eh View Post
Looks like the vehicle mode is a take on a newer dodge challenger...makes me sad as someone hit me head on 2 months ago and I was forced to write my challenger off. Not a big transformers guy but I may track this one down lol.
That really sucks. A few years back I rented a Challenger while in Halifax (just luck of the draw for what they gave me) and I loved driving it despite the fact it was super snowy and I couldn’t really drive it like it was intended.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #355
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

192-2
Takara Tomy- Transformers Masterpiece: MP17 Shockwave

3rd Shockwave in 192 figures, so it will be difficult to come up with anything new and interesting to say about the one eyed, blaster fisted, sentry of Cybertron except that I apparently gravitate to the character seeing ashe is likely my most reviewed Transformer character in VOL 2; not done on purpose. I will say that of all the Masterpiece figures that I have opened thus far, he is by far the least difficult one to transform, something that I can certainly appreciate. And while some collectors might think it’s a bit simple, I honestly don’t think that either mode is negatively affected as they both look like they came right out of the cartoon.

Pros: Great looking figure overall with a near perfect G1 aesthetic in both robot and gun mode, fantastic articulation and a good selection of extra accessories including clear hands/gun nozzles. I also love how they included a mini version of his gun mode so he can use himself when in robot mode; G1 physics are the best kind of physics

Cons: Honestly nothing; for me this is a great figure with little downsides.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #356
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 03-14-2019, 12:02 PM   #357
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

011-R
Hasbro- Transformers Generations: Drift
Release Date: 2009
Current Price and Availability:$44
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hasbro-Trans...5ITY:rk:4:pf:0

It’s not often that a new character can work their way into the lexicon of an existing franchise and to varying degrees, I would say that Drift was somewhat successful. I say somewhat because while he plays a rather big part in the movies, he’s not really the same character that he was from the comics. Sure there are similarities as they are both sword wielding Japanese inspired Autobots, but where comic Drift design is subtitly inspired by Japanese robot culture (think Gundam) Movie Drift is basically a Japanese cultural stereotype. I suppose either one is fine, but given my history with Gundam, I appreciated the comic design much more.

Pros: I pretty well love everything about this figure so much so that I even love Blurr, who was a re-tooled version of Drift and both could be easily be contenders for top 10 Transformer figures in my collection. Why the love? Firstly I really like the look of both modes. Drift specifically has a generic, but not too generic, looking sports car vehicle mode and a very cool looking robot mode that somewhat emulates a Gundam style robot, something that I am found of. Secondly, has a good amount of articulation and a complex, yet intuitive, transformation that a schlub like me can handle and thirdly the weapons and consequent storage for said weapons. Those familiar with my reviews know that I’m a sucker for a figure that can store all their weapons and Drift does it in style. Not only does he have a back tab that can be used for his gigantic sword, he has two sword holders on his door panels that look like waist scabbards; so cool! And to top it off, it all gets packed away in vehicle mode.

Cons: Very little, but his main sword is a bit gummy and can warp/bend easily. I would also say that I don’t love how his movie figure has overshadowed this version, but what are you going to do? Its the Bay-Verse, similar to the show “Whose Line is it”- It the version of Transformers where the story is made up and the characters don’t matter anyways. .

Old 03-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #358
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

193-2
Disney Infinity 3.0- Tron: Sam Flynn.

Sadly unless some miracle happens, I suspect this will be my last ‘Tron’ figure which is kind of a bummer as I really did like the last movie. Perhaps we’ll get lucky with Disney Toybox figure to celebrate the new Tron ride coming to Disney World? I can dream right?

Pros: Fantastic sculpt in a really great action pose fighting with his Tron disk.

Cons: In a world of Disney Star Wars and Disney Marvel this will probably the last Tron thing we’ll see for years.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:57 AM   #359
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

194-2
DC Collectibles- Bombshells: Mera.

Of all the Bombshells I think Mera is one of my least favourites (next to Ivy), not to say that it isn’t good, but I just don’t really love the characters sexy sailor look. I also have no connection to her as a character so it’s not like I even appreciate her inclusion.

Pros: Despite not liking the overall look, I can appreciate the fantastic sculpt that these Bombshells really shine for. A good amount or articulation and poseability with her signature Trident can give even Arthur a run for his money.

Cons: As with the other Series 2 Bombshells there is a significant drop in accessories and some missing articulation from the first which is a total bummer as they were so great.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #360
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

195-2
Disney Toy Box- Star Wars: Luke Skywalker

What is everyone’s favourite version of Luke? I mean there is only what, like 6, that is if you count TLJ and don’t count the EU, which I do and don’t respectfully and I’m curious as to which is the most popular. Sure, I suppose this would be the most iconic one right? Simple farm boy, full of teenage angst, yearning for adventure and so very whiny, but yet doesn’t hit my top spot. I think that would be reserved for ROTJ Luke; brimming with confidence, Green saber wielding certified Jedi bad-ass in black. In any case I do love that ANH Luke was able to make the cut given that Disney’s preference, as it seems, is to focus on the most recent iteration of a character for maximum corporate synergy. Now let’s get cracking on that Black suit shall we?

Pros: Overall nice cartoonish sculpt that captures a young Mark Hamill, a good amount of articulation allowing some poseability and comes with his signature blue lightsaber.

Cons: Three words infuriate me about this figure: HARD PLASTIC TUNIC. So frustrating how something so simple can take a figure that should be a 10 and make it a 6. That freaking plastic makes the super awesome hip articulation and the adjustable ankles useless. **Sigh** That said, please go buy this figure regardless of my issues, I REALLY want this line to continue.

(not my picture as I guess I didn’t take one)