ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 10-25-2018, 06:12 PM   #301
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post
To be fair, this one was the first, the Combat Ninja would be the retool. Hasbro used the body of this one on at least a dozen other figures.
Is that right? Makes sense given that it's a fairly basic figure. Also my knowledge of GI Joe pretty well stopped after the 25 year anniversary figures.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #302
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

154-2
Funko- Disney Afternoons: Chip.

So apparently, sometimes, some crimes go slipping through the cracks, but these two (Chip and his partner Dale that is) Gumshoes pick up the slack. There is no case to big, no case to small, but when you need help you just call… Chip and Dale (Rescue Rangers).

If you don’t have that song in your head now, you clearly did not watch this show growing up and I officially feel bad for you because it was great. Sure, not my favorite of the cartoon bunch, but still pretty fun and well made for the time.

Pros: I love the overall sculpt as it captures the look of the cartoon right down to the Indiana Jones style hat and leather jacket.

Cos: Kudos to Funko for trying, but the available articulation is a bit limited, even with elbow joints and ball jointed shoulders. He’s also a bit small for the price and probably should have been a 2 pack with his buddy Dale.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:11 AM   #303
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

155-2
Disney Toy Box- Star Wars: First Order Stormtrooper

For the most part I'm a fan of the First Order Troopers, but ever since someone made a comment on the internet that their helmets look like duck bills I just can't unsee it.

Pros: Excellent sculpt, nice articulation and overall great looking figure.

Cons: Figure is pretty loose joints that make it difficult to pose. Also, while I appreciate that they need to focus on the new trilogy, I would really think a old school trooper would be easy enough to make and release; think of the repaints!

Old 11-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #304
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Ok, it’s been a few weeks due to some personal issues, but let’s see if we can ge this back on track.

156-2
Diamond Select- Marvel- Disney Store Exclusive: Dr Strange.

Only my second Diamond Select and it’s pretty clear as to why I do not collect these figures on the regular. I mean, it’s not a bad figure per se, but I would be lying if I said I was not disappointed. I suppose I shouldn’t be too mad as I was able to pick him on major clearance and there is some good stuff about him, but Thor set the bar pretty high.

Pros: Nice sculpt with the Dr Strange “classic comic” look. I LOVE the look of his cape with popped collar. The magic effect is nice and works surprisingly well considering that it looks like it’s missing a part. I also like how, for the cost, DS goes a bit further with including a really nice diorama stand.

Cons: ARTICULATION. Seriously, what is the f-ing point of having hip articulation if it is totally hindered by a soft plastic tunic. I get that it's a big part of the costum, but it totally ruins what could have been a great figure. Also, while I appreciate the extra head, there is zero context to it’s addition and it super difficult to change without thinking something going to snap.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:12 AM   #305
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

157-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Dark of the Moon: Sky Hammer

Well, this is it: my last Dark of the Moon mainline figure (I think I still have a Human Alliance figure and a BumbleBee figure somewhere?) and it’s pretty damn good to be honest. To celebrate I re-watched Dark of the Moon again and I got to say, there is a lot going on in that movie and I just don’t know how I feel about it. I mean, it's not a good movie by any stretch, but I was entertained so there is that. I will say that in a movie about giant transforming alien robot, the LEAST believable thing was that Sam could land 2 amazingly hot girlfriends; it's just not realistic.

Pros: Skyhammer is a fantastic figure and a bit of a shame that didn't have a on screen presence. Both modes are really well done and meet the movie verse ascetic pretty convincingly.

Cons: The instructions show that the rotors are supposed to be removed, but despite pulling as hard as I could (with out breakin) nothing. It’s fine though as it's not required for the actual Transformation.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:25 PM   #306
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

158-2
Disney Toy Box- Pixar: Woody

From the very beginning The Toy Story movies have always been a personal favorite of mine. I even remember seeing the first movie in the theaters with my wife, (then girlfriend) and then her later buying the special edition VHS with collectable lithograph (that I did frame). My love for the characters and the story only grew when the 2nd one was released as it hit a bit of a cord (being a toy enthusiast myself) and I definitely liked sharing the experience with my kids for the 3rd one. I understand that there is a 4th one in the works and I’ll certainly watch it, but it’s not something that I personally think needs to be done, but given how well the 3rd one did I’m certain that I could be in the minority.

Pro: I’m sure I said this with the previous Toy Box Buzz figure, but I love that these exist. Having well-articulated Disney Infinity style action figures checks all the right boxes and given that Woody doesn’t have any bulky plastic parts, he is actually one of my favorites thus far. I also love that his hat is removable and that he comes with a snake in his boot- FUN!

Cons: This could be a bit of a nitpick on a great figure but he doesn’t have ANDY written on the bottom of his boot. I would love to know if there was any thought to include it, or if this was just an oversight.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:14 PM   #307
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

159-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Combiner Wars: Firefly.

One day I’m going to sort out who is a repaint of who in these Combiner Wars sets, but for now I do know that Fire Fly here is a repainted Blast-Off, or rather the other way around, but there’s not really anything wrong with that given the much different paint scheme and the different head. Of the two I think I like Firefly better, but that could be due to better colors and the fact that I’m still salty about Blastoff not being a Shuttle.

In prep for this review and not knowing too much about G1 Firefly (Or Fireflight- G1 Name) I went back to the G1 source material to watch their “birth”. Apparently there is a pretty good reason for not remembering him as it seems the show makers felt the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my9lh6FOMBo

Check out around 3:55 to see all the Aerialbots introduce themselves with Fireflight getting completely blocked out by Primes head. That’s some Mike Wazowski level trolling right there.

Pros: Of the whole team I would say that Firefly is my favorite. Solid head sculpt and colors, great transformation and articulation and I love the look of both modes.

Cons: I don’t think that he’s historically been a leg…

Old 12-05-2018, 10:57 AM   #308
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

160-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Thanos- the Mad Titan.

I’ll be honest; when I started amassing the build a figure parts for Thanos (Spider Woman Review # Volume 1 for those keeping score) I had a very limited understanding as to who Thaons is and why he mattered in the Marvel Universe. Since this release, his popularity has skyrocketed for being the infamous villain to essentially wipe out half of the cinematic universe with one snap of the Infinity Gauntlet (oh ummm… spoilers I guess?) and a few new, hopefully better, versions of this figure have been released.

Pros: Nice overall size with a great head sculpt.

Cons: They didn’t include the Infinity Gauntlet, the color is a bit too dark and despite many other working joints his leg articulation is completely hindered by his hip armor basically making any dynamic poses impossible, I also find it odd that both his left arm and head came with two different figures as it seem like it could have been a good opportunity to provide different sculpts.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:30 AM   #309
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

161-2
Hasbro - Transformers- Combiner Wars: Superion

When I was a kid I got my fair share of toys, but there was never a guarantee that my brother and I would ever get a complete set of combinders, so when I do it still puts a smile on my face. Superion was certainly one of those G1 figures that I always wanted, but never got so when the Combiner Wars version came out I was pretty excited to pick him up.

Pros: Really well done figure overall that captures a good part of the G1 ascetic no small part due to the torso and head sculpt.

Cons: It’s a shame that for all the effort Hasbro did to capture the G1 essence of the character that they felt it necessary to change up characters and designs. While I recognize that these are for kids, there is no doubt that some of the design elements are meant to be a nostalgic kick trying to appeal to us about collectors, so why not just do it right? Also, as is typical with new style combiners, they are a bit hefty and cumbersome to pose.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #310
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

162-2
Hasbro- G.I. Joe- Sigma Six- Sky Bat

I’m not going to bury the lead: THIS FIGURE ROCKS.

Now that I got that out the way I’ll take a step back to say that Sky Bat is the second of the two “BAT” figures (Ninja BAT being the other) that were released as part of the Sigma Six 8” line and to be honest, the better of the two. In fact, I knew that I would like this figure so much that when I saw the figure at Winners on deep discount, months after Sigma 6 was cancelled, I decided that I would try my hand at army building it and finally ending up with 12; not too bad? My plan was to hang them from my toy room ceiling with the other Star Wars ships, but never got around to it before we moved, so they sat with the other unopened Sigma Six figures in storage. I’ve moved on from the idea of hanging them and I certainly do not have the space to display all 12, so I might look to sell a few, but it’s tough as I still think that they are just really the great of a figure to have.

Pros: Fantastic sculpt, good amount of unencumbered articulation, adjustable wings with removable missiles, and a super cool looking laser gun.

Cons: Small issues include having only one gun (on the cartoon they all have two) and while I realize this figure pre-dates them, ankle tilts would have been great.