ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
Robimus
Super Moderator
Possibility That Target Will Look To Cease Canadian Operations

At least according to this article:

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/01/t...illion-losses/

I personally hope this doesn't happen, but money talks.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon
Re: Possibility That Target Will Look To Cease Canadian Operations

They started too big, too fast.
If they had just opened one store per city instead of 4 they would be in much better shape.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
Tonestar
Rookie Supreme

I hope they don't leave either...their exclusives and clearances are pretty darn good.
Tonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #4
Toiletcoffee
Red Shirt

Canadian targets are so depressing? Glad to see it go.
Toiletcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:13 PM   #5
Scrapper6
Cylon Centurion

They do realize that those losses are small potatoes compared to some of the losses others have experienced starting up a business.

They seem to be a bit off if they think they can just leave their stores to Wal-Mart. Canadian Government wouldn't allow it, considering the monopolistic opportunities that would create for said company.

I've shopped at Target numerous times and have bought many items from them, their clearance prices are mostly pretty good and you see them working on getting the products rotating in faster, similar to how they do it in the States. If they up and abandoned their commitment at this early stage, I mean honestly it's been what? Three years? Target stores weren't even open that long yet as far as I can recall.

I hope they won't call it quits before they try to fix the perceived problems. I mean what are we supposed to do with only Wal-Mart and TRU to shop at? RCS doesn't stock a load of non-essentials from the grocery standpoint and if TRU collapses soon after Wal-Mart will be retail God in Canada. I don't want to live in a world like that. If you think prices are bad now imagine what it would be like if our only option is Wal-Mart or online, and not everybody can afford online shopping.

My fingers are crossed. I can't believe they're doing that bad, they seem to be very busy quite often considering the number of times I have to wait in line to check out.
Scrapper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:28 PM   #6
cobralegion
Decepticon

I agree. I hope they don't leave. Having just Walmart would not be a good thing for any of us.

Target opened too soon and tried doing too much on their own. One of their main problems was stock but that's because they didn't use the distribution centers already set up by Zellers. I guess they figured they could do it better from scratch but obviously that failed.

They also didn't do anything special to bring in customers. Everyone expected them to compete with Walmart with great prices but they aren't competing at all.

I think they should have just kept running them as Zellers but put in more money for staff and maintenance. Zellers already carried most of the products and exclusives that Target has. Would have saved them a ton of money on start up costs and with Zellers you already had loyal customers. I know people think Zellers was messy but that's only because they were always understaffed. Besides I'd rather have a messy store to hunt through that actually has stuff then a store clean because its empty. I run into a lot of our old customers who say they miss Zellers and its usually just because its where they bought specific items. Target carries only about 60% of the products that Zellers did.

It will be sad if they close down especially for the 25,000 of us that lost their jobs for them.

Anyways..sorry to rant lol.

Last edited by cobralegion; 01-09-2015 at 03:57 AM.
cobralegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:28 PM   #7
Robimus
Super Moderator

Yeah, Canadian Government won't have a say in the matter. If their stores are losing money they could close them if they wish.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:38 PM   #8
Vorahk
Clonetrooper

Ugh I really hope this is not true. I like target and here they always busy. We need this place in Canada.
Vorahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:15 AM   #9
FETT1
Agent of Shield

Like Target somewhat ,but locations and lack of product seem to hamper them !....
I predicted some time ago Walfart would rule the nest up here in the Great White North and Target would leave quietly....
FETT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:33 AM   #10
Robimus
Super Moderator

One of the problems they had in Winnipeg was general location. With their new store at Polo Park I am hoping things would improve.