ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 06-18-2021, 02:28 AM   #1
philtastic
Master of the Universe
Hasbro Revenues and Why Exclusives Aren't Going Anywhere

I just watched this report from CNBC which focused on Hasbro's growing business during the pandemic. It's an interesting piece, and I encourage you to watch it.

Of particular note was the mention of Amazon, Walmart, and Target accounting for 35% of Hasbro's business. If those names sound familiar, it's because they are the most hated retailers in regards to exclusives.

But with *one third* of Hasbro's revenues coming from those three stores, there is absolutely no way that we will see an end to exclusives. Just no way.

Remember, we are not Hasbro's customers. Retailers are. And they will continue to dictate the rules of distribution and sales. And because collectors make up such a tiny percent of retailers' own revenue, they will continue to not give a crap about us.

Watch the video here: https://youtu.be/nqq9bBw15g8
philtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:59 AM   #2
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Re: Hasbro Revenues and Why Exclusives Aren't Going Anywhere

Honestly I'm surprised the big three only make up a third of their sales. I would have expected them to be a higher percentage.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:05 AM   #3
philtastic
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
Honestly I'm surprised the big three only make up a third of their sales. I would have expected them to be a higher percentage.
One third of *worldwide* revenue. It's actually 59% of US and Canada net revenues. Nearly two thirds!
Old 06-18-2021, 08:50 AM   #4
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtastic View Post
One third of *worldwide* revenue. It's actually 59% of US and Canada net revenues. Nearly two thirds!

D'oh, I didn't think about worldwide. That makes more sense. I wonder what percentage China makes up of their sales to see how they compare to North America.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:34 AM   #5
Primetyme
Cobra Trooper

Yep people can complain all they want, but exclusives aren't about the customer, it's about guaranteed sales for the retailer.

Also, lack of shelf space. No way Walmart/Target/TRU/EB Games etc. can carry every single product in a figure line. There's only so much space to go around.
Primetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:32 AM   #6
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

People only have a problem with exclusives because these retailers never get enough product and it's a massive headache acquiring them. It's not that they hate exclusives existing.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:54 AM   #7
Napseeker
Dark Knight

The real problem is that Hasbro is churning out nothing but exclusives. Is there even a mainline anymore? It certainly doesn't feel like it.

Exclusives were fine when they would account for only 10 to 15% of the things that I might buy from Hasbro in a given year... but now, they are 85% to 90%! I wish I was exaggerating when I say that.

And they're more expensive than the mainline product.
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:14 PM   #8
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Exclusives and lack of Prequel era figures is making me lose interest in this line. Like where are the Jedi? Hasbro can make 5000 clones and characters with one episode worth of screen time from the Mandalorian but can't make Jedi that aren't shitty retools.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:25 PM   #9
philtastic
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
Exclusives and lack of Prequel era figures is making me lose interest in this line. Like where are the Jedi? Hasbro can make 5000 clones and characters with one episode worth of screen time from the Mandalorian but can't make Jedi that aren't shitty retools.
New molds cost money.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:15 PM   #10
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtastic View Post
New molds cost money.
I know that. My point was that they can spend the money on new molds for all these newer Disney Era characters some of which didn't do much of anything yet they won't drop the money on new molds for prequel Jedi that have been around for YEARS, one of them being the poster boy for the prequel trilogy and one of the most important characters of the franchise.