ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Mattel Toy Discussion

Old 08-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Question Why does Mattel not want articulation on their toys?

***This is not a history lesson, I'm just hoping someone understands why this strategy for their toys, and explains it to me***

OK, here we go...

I can understand early action figures like "He Man" back in the early 80s didn't have lots of articulation, just the basic head turn, shoulders, and leg joints.

Late 80s Playmates' "TMNT" line had the same plus the elbow swival. Also Kenner's mid-80s "Super Powers" line figures had knee joints.

Then in the early 90s Kenner had the same formula on action figures as they did in the 70s with the Star Wars line. The Batman and Superman Animated series still had basic head turn, shoulders, and hip/waist joints.

By the early 2000s, Mattel's "Justice League" figures were still the same type of figures. But when "Superman Returns" figures came, there were (shock!) elbow and knee joints.

But when the "Green Lantern" movie figures came, there's no elbow and knee joints, but the shoulders and torso can now rotate. Wow. But I do have to give props to Mattel for the extra stuff and large accessory the figure comes with. Some of the contructs were huge, and the rings are great for kids.

Comparing Mattel's superhero figures compared to Hasbro, there's a big difference.

Looking at Hasbro's Star Wars many figures since the late 90s; plus the fairly recent "Marvel Universe" figures, has incorporated some interesting ways for articulation. Although in my opinion some figures were hindered by too much articulation.

Does anyone know why Mattel's action figures lack at least the elbow, knee, and ankle joints? I don't care if the figure doesn't have elbow swival, wrist swival, knee swival, or the torso to have odd poses. Why are they made to be stiff, barely posable statues?

***Sorry if this sounded like a rant***

I've traded with and/or sold stuff to these people, and these people was so kind to say so:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

...buyers stop by here:
Cybertron.ca BST thread
(last update: Aug 19/13 @ 11:00am EST, removed SOLD items)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
joshimus
Convention Exclusive
Re: Why does Mattel not want articulation on their toys?

Probably to save money on plastic. Just look at Hasbro's new deluxe toys. Smaller size, less plastic, less moving parts. Maybe Mattel just started the "save now" sooner by not going all Marvel Legends on their toys.
That said, it really KILLS The Dark Knight Rises smaller figures being so bland. I love small figures, but posability is far more fun than just standing around...that's what 80's big ass Transformers were for...
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
CTO15
Avengers Assemble!

some of the latest Hasbro offerings are lacking on articulation as well

Amazing Spider-Man
Avengers

it's all comes down to dollars and cents. The toy market is aimed at childeren, adult collectors come in 2nd. Kids don't care if the figure has 32 pts of articulation and has good paint apps and is a good representation of the character. They just want to the figure to look cool and they can play with it.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
pattycakeman
Cylon Centurion

I know this one! Its because kids don't care about articulation, not at all, even from my own experience they don't, my kids could care less about articulation. That's why those little superhero squad toys and such are such a big hit. But I wouldn't say they don't like articulation, look at MOTUC and ghostbusters etc, they all have really good articulation.

Ever notice how starwars or gi Joe figures fall apart if they are played with hard? So us collectors don't like the lack of articulation, the kids who the retail lines are geared towards don't care at all. Oh and it lowers their tooling cist by removing articulation.
pattycakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Smile Re: Why does Mattel not want articulation on their toys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshimus View Post
...Just look at Hasbro's new deluxe toys. Smaller size, less plastic, less moving parts. Maybe Mattel just started the "save now" sooner by not going all Marvel Legends on their toys.
That said, it really KILLS The Dark Knight Rises smaller figures being so bland. I love small figures, but posability is far more fun than just standing around...that's what 80's big ass Transformers were for...
No arguement from me. Though 80s TFs main point is 2 modes, rather than a superhero action figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTO15 View Post
some of the latest Hasbro offerings are lacking on articulation as well

Amazing Spider-Man
Avengers

it's all comes down to dollars and cents. The toy market is aimed at childeren, adult collectors come in 2nd. Kids don't care if the figure has 32 pts of articulation and has good paint apps and is a good representation of the character. They just want to the figure to look cool and they can play with it.
I understand it's for kids, I personally don't care if it had 32 pts of articulation either. As a random example, I wouldn't mind the "basic action figure" had this template. Not too much, and not too little. Compared to Mattel's no elbow and no knee statues. We're well into the 21st century, not back in the 70s and 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakeman View Post
I know this one! Its because kids don't care about articulation, not at all, even from my own experience they don't, my kids could care less about articulation. That's why those little superhero squad toys and such are such a big hit. But I wouldn't say they don't like articulation, look at MOTUC and ghostbusters etc, they all have really good articulation.

Ever notice how starwars or gi Joe figures fall apart if they are played with hard? So us collectors don't like the lack of articulation, the kids who the retail lines are geared towards don't care at all. Oh and it lowers their tooling cist by removing articulation.
I'm not going to argue about kids' preferences, but do they play with Mattel's action figures more or Hasbro's action figures more? (I wish I had the money to collect those other lines)

I haven't noticed, majority of my Star Wars figures are MOSC or in ziploc baggies after posing them on my desk for awhile. Most of the Star Wars figures I still "play" with are the Clone Troopers...from the Episode 3 line, NOT The Clone Wars line. I've noticed the quality and durability difference.

Stuff like the old TF Robot Heroes were awesome, they didn't need too much articulation, they were meant to be durable. (I don't have any, but I'll assume the latest Galactic Heroes and Marvel Heros are the same?)

I guess I forgot to mention how I have the Justice League figures of Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman. Sure their legs can move, but they can't stand if a leg is not perfectly aligned or if their arms are not balanced. A knee and ankle joint would have helped. Unless Mattel expects all people to have their figures laying down when they're not being played with. They're like the G1 TF's mono-leg problem, but these figures do have 2 legs. IIRC, a lot of recent Hasbro's figures comes with stands, so even if their figures didn't have super awesome articulation, they can still stand.

Lastly, I'm not trying to start a flame war or come down on any of your opinions/facts. I'm just expressing my disappointment how modern action figures lack...action...

I've traded with and/or sold stuff to these people, and these people was so kind to say so:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

...buyers stop by here:
Cybertron.ca BST thread
(last update: Aug 19/13 @ 11:00am EST, removed SOLD items)

Last edited by Metroplex79; 08-02-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Robimus
Super Moderator

Modern Star Wars figure arms are very easy to pop off and my negative feelings towards the G.I.Joe diaper crotches has been well documented

I'm all for a middle ground when it comes to articluation. I don't want 32 point of articulation on a 4 inch figure, but I don't want only 5 points either.

Balance the articulation with playability and don't make the toys too flimsy, thats all I've got.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Napseeker
Dark Knight

The answer to the question, in my mind, has always been, Mattel is lame. They can do super-articulation, as evidenced by their line of Avatar figures which, aside from being a bit too small, even had decent hip articulation (using a method that isn't as aesthetically pleasing as ball-jointed hips, but hey it works).

I would buy a "DC Universe" line if it were of the same or better quality as MarvelU, but I suspect that even if Mattel did come out with such a line, they'd be dinky-sized midgets similar to the current TDKR figures. The company is hopeless in my eyes, they just don't want to take my money :P
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
comicbookboy
Cobra Trooper

MOST OF THE 2014 FIGURES LOOK GOOD, BUT OVERALL THEY ARE LESS DETAILED, LESS ARTICULATION, 0 ACCESSORIES.

DC DIRECT MAKES THE BEST DC STUFF.
comicbookboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #9
cloud
Master of the Universe

The market is getting tougher. I'd imagine the retailers also have a lot of say. I would guess that some feedback from retailers to toy companies are that they would want something cheaper that parents are more reluctant to buy for kids. Toys that are less than $10. That being said, Mattel is really out of touch in the toy business. They are repacking the old batmobiles in the hotwheels line that they did in 2003. Their Man of Steel figures are ugly, I don't know what they are called but they have this super deformed sling shot type figures that I don't feel they would appeal to kids at all. The 4" figures look cheap. I don't mind less articulation but some whacky accessories but I expect Kenner quality where the variants are silly but at least you get a "Deep dive Batman" or "Arctic Batman" that are cool in their own way. Even the Superman Returns line had some cool variants.
Mattel really drop the ball when it comes to modern toys. Both a disappointment towards kids aimed toys and adult aimed toys.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #10
Robimus
Super Moderator

Interestingly, since this topic began Hasbro has moved towards the less articulate Mattel styled figured on their main toy lines aimed at children.

They have also come in with a lower price point than their traditional, more complex figures for this "new" style of figure.

Best guess is it saves them a lot of money, not just in plastic but engineering and concept design as well.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote