ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 06-19-2021, 06:50 AM   #1
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Further delays and price increases possible?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/18/hasb...son-nears.html

And the fun continues.

The "scary" part to me is the holiday pricing rationale put forward in the article. That companies don't worry about prices being higher during the holidays since people are buying most toys as gifts.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:31 AM   #2
Ksteel
Mutant
Re: Further delays and price increases possible?

I'm okay with this.

At this point, I'm really not buying any new MLs. I notice they're now priced at $33 Canadian.

After tax, you're basically paying near $40 a figure.

When you buy a whole set or collection, that accumulates.

I've got all the important characters from Infinity Saga, not interested in the Eternals, BW, Shangchi and D+ waves...unless they're on massive clearance. They don't justify the pricetag.
Ksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:54 AM   #3
ApathyML
Super Friend

I started collecting Marvel legends about 6 years ago. They were $22 at the time.

In the last two months Ive probably sold half my collection. Im sick of the BAF gimmick, and slightly improved figures which should of been done right the first time.

I don’t need to be a consumer of useless merchandise anymore. It’s freeing.
ApathyML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:28 AM   #4
Ksteel
Mutant

Buy the figures that matter I'd say. Buy the ones that you could look back on in 10 years... and these figures represent something important. Instead of a flavor of the month.

That's why I couldn't get onboard with the Disney+ MCU Wave. They're good figures. Overpriced, but good figures... but they're also going to be irrelevant and pointless pretty soon down the line. Even Scarlet Witch will likely get a new figure in the DS2 wave.

The figures I have from IW and Endgame though, worth it. Those were big cinematic events that will definitely still have merit and relevancy a decade from now.

With the prices going up, it's worth being more selective with one's purchases.
Ksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:13 AM   #5
BlackBeltJohnson
Galactian Herald

I love ML, but I only collect Classic era (60s to early 90s) characters and looks. Even so, the price increase has made this tedious, indeed! Hasbro's Marvel team has been Superlative though lately in dishing out Classic era characters, so I feel like I'm in a race against time with the bucket list...just a few more characters to go before these things reach 50 bucks a pop.
BlackBeltJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:15 AM   #6
BlackBeltJohnson
Galactian Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksteel View Post
Buy the figures that matter I'd say. Buy the ones that you could look back on in 10 years... and these figures represent something important. Instead of a flavor of the month.

That's why I couldn't get onboard with the Disney+ MCU Wave. They're good figures. Overpriced, but good figures... but they're also going to be irrelevant and pointless pretty soon down the line. Even Scarlet Witch will likely get a new figure in the DS2 wave.

The figures I have from IW and Endgame though, worth it. Those were big cinematic events that will definitely still have merit and relevancy a decade from now.

With the prices going up, it's worth being more selective with one's purchases.
Well said! Couldn't agree more!
BlackBeltJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:47 AM   #7
Onslaught
Cylon Centurion

The current price point doesn't feel worth it for some/most of Hasbro's products. I remember walking into TRU and seeing an exclusive Trooper for $40, which was mind boggling.
With Masterverse from Mattel coming in at $30, and McFarlane's offerings between $25-$30 for the most part, those figures, to me at least, feel a lot more worth it than the other average retail 'collector' action figures.
Onslaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:52 AM   #8
Napseeker
Dark Knight

I agree about the McFarlane stuff. If only it was 6-inch scale, I'd be buying more of the DC figures at $25 a pop than any of the Marvel Legends (soon to be $34+tax come August)
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:20 PM   #9
Arishikage
Cylon Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksteel View Post
That's why I couldn't get onboard with the Disney+ MCU Wave. They're good figures. Overpriced, but good figures...
I feel this. I was so ready to get the new Captain America, but then they pulled the "Cap's wings are the BAF" stunt. I'm not buying an entire wave to have a complete Cap, and not including the wings just makes this one feel incomplete. If you need to make him a deluxe figure, just do it.
Arishikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:23 PM   #10
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

I already only buy half as much as I used to from Hasbro, so it’s hard to care at this point. The constant excuses of shipping problems or COVID or hurricanes or plastic pricing are all tired and well passed worn out. I half expect them to blame price increases on cosmic radiation, zombie pirates, or a civil war in Antarctica next.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote