ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 08-15-2023, 04:48 PM   #1661
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

949-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: The Beetle

Last Marvel Legends review I was dissecting the MCU, this is the continuation of that.

Phase 4
Movies:
Black Widow- Part filler/part origin story, Black Widow is a fun movie that is on par with every other origin story, but had the misfortune of being released late due to COVID. If it was released months after Endgame, I bet it would have done much better.
Shang-Chi- Another origin story that is on par with Dr Strange and Ant-Man.
Eternals- While I like The Eternals, I will concede that perhaps Marvel thought they could do no wrong. That said, I honestly feel that it is as good of a “team” origin story as the first GOTG.
Spider- Man: No Way Home- People loved it, but I didn’t. Still a success though.
Doctor Strange in the multiverse of Madness- As sophomore releases go this was a fun movie, but relied too much on interconnectivity from other D+ projects.
Thor: Love and Thunder- Was trying to do too much, but also the only MCU character to have 4 solo movies.
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever- This was less of a movie and more of a eulogy. If they can connect the dots on the stuff that was established to other projects then I am happy for where this will go.

TV Shows:
Wandavision- Perhaps a bit too artistic for the masses that were starved (due to COVID break) for MCU content.
The Falcon and Winter Soldier- I honestly felt that this captured the issues post Endgame, better than any other movie/series. Had a bit too much to say and probably could have been a movie.
Loki- people love Loki, but I thought I was ok. Introduced other worlds which will be a big thing going forward.
What If- A cartoon series that I really enjoyed, especially on the heels of the Loki show that introduced other universes. That said, I wish they would get a bit more creative and move away from only MCU concepts.
Hawkeye- Completely forgettable, but also a fun watch that should develop Daredevil and the other “lower to the ground” Marvel Characters.
Moon Knight- I actually didn’t finish Moon Knight. Given that there was zero connectivity to the MCU, I’m not sure that it’s all that important though.
Ms Marvel- I loved this series and despite it being a bit too long winded I appreciated it for it’s connectivity to the MCU and origin story. There is no reason (outside of the bad ones) that comic fans did not like this series.
She-Hulk- I watched it and thought it was fine, but concede it was not one of Marvel's best.
Werewolf by Night- Didn’t watch it, but will be held in the same regard as Moon Knight
The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special: Didn’t watch it, but may have to in prep for GOTG 3.

Ok, Phase 4 is deep and they took some big swings, but on an average basis does that mean that it is worse? Of 17 projects 9 were great to good with the rest being ok to terrible.

To be continued…

Pros: This is my second version of the Beetle (first one was the girl one) and I STILL don't know anything about them. Regardless I was pleasantly surprised with this one out of the package and thought they did a phenomenal job. Well worth the ignorant BAF purchase. Great imposing sculpt, nice metallic paint job, some huge adjustable wings and even some adjustable wing covers on his back. Very cool!

Cons: I got nothing: a very cool figure.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 09:13 PM   #1662
Eko123
Body without Organs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
949-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: The Beetle

Last Marvel Legends review I was dissecting the MCU, this is the continuation of that.

Phase 4
Movies:
Black Widow- Part filler/part origin story, Black Widow is a fun movie that is on par with every other origin story, but had the misfortune of being released late due to COVID. If it was released months after Endgame, I bet it would have done much better.
Shang-Chi- Another origin story that is on par with Dr Strange and Ant-Man.
Eternals- While I like The Eternals, I will concede that perhaps Marvel thought they could do no wrong. That said, I honestly feel that it is as good of a ?team? origin story as the first GOTG.
Spider- Man: No Way Home- People loved it, but I didn?t. Still a success though.
Doctor Strange in the multiverse of Madness- As sophomore releases go this was a fun movie, but relied too much on interconnectivity from other D+ projects.
Thor: Love and Thunder- Was trying to do too much, but also the only MCU character to have 4 solo movies.
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever- This was less of a movie and more of a eulogy. If they can connect the dots on the stuff that was established to other projects then I am happy for where this will go.

TV Shows:
Wandavision- Perhaps a bit too artistic for the masses that were starved (due to COVID break) for MCU content.
The Falcon and Winter Soldier- I honestly felt that this captured the issues post Endgame, better than any other movie/series. Had a bit too much to say and probably could have been a movie.
Loki- people love Loki, but I thought I was ok. Introduced other worlds which will be a big thing going forward.
What If- A cartoon series that I really enjoyed, especially on the heels of the Loki show that introduced other universes. That said, I wish they would get a bit more creative and move away from only MCU concepts.
Hawkeye- Completely forgettable, but also a fun watch that should develop Daredevil and the other ?lower to the ground? Marvel Characters.
Moon Knight- I actually didn?t finish Moon Knight. Given that there was zero connectivity to the MCU, I?m not sure that it?s all that important though.
Ms Marvel- I loved this series and despite it being a bit too long winded I appreciated it for it?s connectivity to the MCU and origin story. There is no reason (outside of the bad ones) that comic fans did not like this series.
She-Hulk- I watched it and thought it was fine, but concede it was not one of Marvel's best.
Werewolf by Night- Didn?t watch it, but will be held in the same regard as Moon Knight
The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special: Didn?t watch it, but may have to in prep for GOTG 3.

Ok, Phase 4 is deep and they took some big swings, but on an average basis does that mean that it is worse? Of 17 projects 9 were great to good with the rest being ok to terrible.

To be continued?

Pros: This is my second version of the Beetle (first one was the girl one) and I STILL don't know anything about them. Regardless I was pleasantly surprised with this one out of the package and thought they did a phenomenal job. Well worth the ignorant BAF purchase. Great imposing sculpt, nice metallic paint job, some huge adjustable wings and even some adjustable wing covers on his back. Very cool!

Cons: I got nothing: a very cool figure.
I have this figure too, although I find the shell part on his back falls off easily.
Eko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 05:41 PM   #1663
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eko123 View Post
I have this figure too, although I find the shell part on his back falls off easily.
Yeah, I?m sure they could have figured out a better way to attach the shell. I had luck with beating them and the figure up to soften up the plastic too.
Old 08-16-2023, 05:42 PM   #1664
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

950-2
McFarlane Toys- DC Multiverse: Scarecrow

I had a plan to rate all the actors that played batman, but the "table" format isn't working. I'll have to figure out something for the next McFarlane review.

Stay tunned.

Pros: This is a wild figure that once again makes me question how some McFarlane toys can be sold in ?toy isles? given that he is basically a sculpted nightmare on a stick; I mean, good for collectors who like that sort of thing, but dang. Anyways, the sculpt is outstanding who an incredible amount of detail, the articulation is decent for what he is and I love that they included a flight stand for display if you do not have Bane yet.

Cons: Ok, I said I like the stand, but if i?m being honest it's a bit useless given that the clasp is not wide enough to hold his body, but I guess that it is the thought that counts right?

Last edited by Team Jetfire; 08-16-2023 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-17-2023, 04:15 PM   #1665
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

31-R
Kenner- Star Wars Power of the Force 2: B’OMARR Monk.
Approx release date: 1997

I really hate modern exclusives, but at least they are relatively easy to get with a computer or a smartphone, a decent internet connection and a credit card. This exercise is a dream when compared to the now archaic process that we had to do back in 1997 and before. B’OMARR Monk was one of my first as an adult collector and I honestly can’t recall how I got him. (Now that I think about it, that statement may not be entirely true as I also have the “ghost” ObiWan Kenobi and F’igrin Dan figures from the same time, but I digress, it was early on in my collecting) First you would need to find out that there is a mail in exclusive figure available. This usually would be advertised in a magazine (Wizard or Toyfare) or from a mail away slip included in another toy. Then you would need to fill out said form and send, IN A LETTER, VIA MAIL WITH A STAMP, a money order (A MONEY ORDER??!?!) for the amount listed, usually in US funds and then just wait, sometimes for months, for it to show up at your door. And you know what is cool? LIke some crazy magic trick it actually worked. Maybe I should stop complaining about the current process?

Pros: I love the B’OMARR Monk figure because it is so weird and unique. It’s an odd little background character that was featured in the first few seconds of Return of the Jedi that really sparked the imagination of Star Wars fans clamoring for details of the universe back before there was an entire Wikipedia article about everyone. The figure itself is well crafted and has some nice little details including the 6 insect type legs, the adjustable hand clamp and of course the Brain bowl. Very cool.

Cons: For the time this was a great figure. I suppose the only improvement could be more articulation points on the legs, but for its size probably not necessary.

Old 08-18-2023, 05:49 PM   #1666
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

S-62
Hasbro: Marvel Legends Retro: Spiral

Well, this is slightly embarrassing. After a “special” review on Beta Ray Bill celebrating the fact that they have the creative latitude to just make cool and interesting figures comes perhaps the coolest and most interesting toy that I have ever seen from Hasbro’s Marvel legends line up. I guess Hasbro still needs to flex their muscles sometimes to show why they are the best and boy howdy, did they ever, as Spiral is a MASTERPIECE of an action figure. And for all the Hasbro execs that read my reviews, this is what we want. Please no more Spidermen, Captain America’s and Iron Men; we have them all, there are no more to do and it’s time to focus on doing the cool stuff like 6 armed sword wielding women.

Pros: Even my mediocre pictures should be enough to sell this amazing figure. Spiral has an amazing engineered sculpt, 6 arms with double jointed elbows, all the bladed weapons and even a few extra hands. It’s hard to believe that she was the same price as the latest Spider-Man repaint.

Cons: Two minor things: The gorgeous hair as part of the head sculpt limits her neck movement and the joints on mine were pretty stiff making posing her a rather anxiety reducing affair given that I know this plastic breaks like spaghetti at times.

Old 08-19-2023, 06:33 PM   #1667
Eko123
Body without Organs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
S-62
Hasbro: Marvel Legends Retro: Spiral

Despite some limitations in the articulation, I still think this is one of the best Marvel Legends figures produced by Hasbro in recent years (another being the Lady Deathstrike figure).
Eko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 02:13 PM   #1668
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eko123 View Post
Despite some limitations in the articulation, I still think this is one of the best Marvel Legends figures produced by Hasbro in recent years (another being the Lady Deathstrike figure).
100%

I?m shocked that she?s still available on Amazon for regular price.
Old 08-28-2023, 02:14 PM   #1669
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

951-2
Hasbro- G.I. Joe Classified: Snake Eyes

I don’t think that I have ever seen a movie tie-in action figure that has been as mediocre as the film that it’s based on. I mean, usually if the movie is forgettable, the toys can be a nice surprise, but not for Hasbro and G.I. Joe; they want that MID level consistency through and through. Well, at least almost 2 full years after the movie's release I can confidently say that MOST (but not all) of the Classifed movie figures have been finally taken off the shelves.

Pros: I think the only good thing about this figure is that it seems to be constructed of all original parts and the overall sculpt and articulation scheme is pretty decent.

Cons: Snake Eyes is the titular character that is kicking off your new movie universe and this is the best that Hasbro wanted to release? Yes the figure is decent, but including a sword/scabbard and two non-descript blades is a bit of a joke. Where is the rest of his gear? Snake Eyes was never just a Ninja and the looks of the load out is pretty dang sad.

Old 08-29-2023, 04:03 PM   #1670
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

952-2
Hasbro- Transformers Studio Series: Scourge Sweep

Well, today I learned that Hasbro released different versions of this numbered figure (86) with slightly different changes to make them unique. Scourge, the leader of the Sweeps is differentiated by a darker blue color and reversed claw hand as compared to the Sweep who is just a bit lighter. Not really a big deal to me and if I am being honest I didn’t even know there was a difference and even thought I originally bought myself a figure of Scourge. In any case, this must drive the MISB number completests crazy given that there is the same release number for both “characters” and they would need to get one of each to complete the set. If i’m being honest I’m not sure why Hasbro would make this decision given that there is no real reason to differentiate the leader and his minions plus it just makes it more difficult for collectors to get what they want.

Pros: I’ve always been a fan of Scourge and his Sweeps from back in the day and this figure really nails the overall look in both modes. The sculpt is great, the transformation is intuitive and not too complicated and doesn't even feel like a “shell former” despite essentially being the original one. I also like how they included an official “head visible in vehicle” mode to match those odd scenes in the G1 cartoon.

Cons: I love that they included an energy effect, but I'm not sure why it looks like toothpaste and wish that it was a bit less gummy.