ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 08-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
JLvatron
Red Shirt
GIJoe: "Pyramid of Darkness"

I finished watching a dvd of GIJoe "Pyramid of Darkness". I really loved this in the 80's, really fun movie, although I had found ShipWreck to be too much of a loud mouth and didn't appreciate such a strong focus on him or Satin.

Watching it now, I liked it waaay less. Shipwreck was loud mouther than I remembered and the there was much more annoying singing than I had rememebered:
-Dusty in space
-Satin twice
-Quick Kick's commercial
-Alpine's yodelling (although I still liked his "Ohhhh, Yeahhhh!")

Snake eyes was really reduced to playing 2nd fiddle to Shipwreck which was really awful. Also the story had way too many "Meet instant solution x!" scenes. Like the ending when the Crimson twins turn the twin towers into a rocket ship and Loudmouth proclaims "No force on Earth will be able to stop it!". Then the space station blows it up sans trouble.

Snake eyes dressed up like Boy George also didn't help.

There were still some good things. Roadblock's rhyming, Mutt getting more screen time, the Crimson Twins being so clever and their power struggle with Cobra Commander; and Quick-Kick & Alpine.

I still think it would have been great if they didn't make it so silly; the previous 2 movies were amazing.
JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
pud333
Master of the Universe
Re: GIJoe: "Pyramid of Darkness"

I find a lot of the GI Joe stuff doesn't hold up now. Same with Transformers. Though I still enjoy both movies a lot.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
DanM
Aquanaut

Yeah Pyramid of Darkness is especially horrendous. It's not just that it's dated, it's that it sucks oh so very hard.

I thought I had seen all of the cartoons when I was a kid, but Pyramid was the only thing in the box set that I didn't have any recollection of. I may have blocked it from my memory using the Arashikage mind set....
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:20 AM   #4
Napseeker
Dark Knight

Saw this on Retrotoon recently and was also shocked about things like SnakeEyes (and the parrot and the wolf) breakdancing and the silly focus on Satin. PoD was easily one of their worst written stories for sure - I don't blame the show, which had some good episodes earlier on - the fault was definitely the writer.

I'm actually still quite moved by the 2-parter where the Joes end up in the alternate universe and we have Steeler, Grunt and Clutch volunteer to stay behind to "continue the mission" against Cobra. It's all about the writer...
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
Marvs
Cobra Trooper

I don't remember watching this as a kid, but I caught it on tv a while ago. Snake Eyes dressing up as Boy George was just too much.
Marvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
JLvatron
Red Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
I find a lot of the GI Joe stuff doesn't hold up now. Same with Transformers. Though I still enjoy both movies a lot.
I find TF holds up greatly; and I'm sure most of GIJ does too, just I had no recollection of PoD being THAT bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post
I thought I had seen all of the cartoons when I was a kid, but Pyramid was the only thing in the box set that I didn't have any recollection of. I may have blocked it from my memory using the Arashikage mind set....
Is it too late to use the mind set now?
Old 08-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
JLvatron
Red Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napseeker View Post
I'm actually still quite moved by the 2-parter where the Joes end up in the alternate universe and we have Steeler, Grunt and Clutch volunteer to stay behind to "continue the mission" against Cobra. It's all about the writer...
I dunno, PoD was written by Ron Friedman, who wrote TF:the Movie, which I find the greatest film of all time.
Yet, PoD sucked.

You never know, maybe he wrote it and his directive was "Strong focus on Shipwreck! Lots of loudmouth lines!"
Then the producers told him "more singing!" and more focus on Satin!

Who knows, maybe it was written as a 3 parter, then they said "Add a Super rocket at the end for more time! And the giant water robots at the beginning!"

And LOTS of animals and Fuzzy Wuzzy action!

Oh, I HOPE that's what happened. Otherwise I can't understand how it coulda bin so terribly written.