ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 09-14-2018, 10:18 AM   #261
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

134-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Combiner Wars: Alpha Bravo

Alpha Bravo is a basic repaint of Vortex from the Combaticons (or perhaps the other way around) and is a decent enough Transformer figure, but as an Aerialbot he just doesn’t really work for me.

Pros: I like this mold as it has a good range of motion and nice poseability and coupled it with a cool paint job reminiscent of the Coast Guard.

Cons: As a Aerialbot he’s kind of a weak addition by virtue of the fact he is a Helicopter; An interesting concept but disappointing considering that Generation set only had jets. Also, what Coast Guard helicopter needs that many missiles?

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:05 AM   #262
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

135-2
Disney Vinylmation- Marvel Series 4: MODOK

Well, looks like the sun is finally setting on the Disney Vinylmation series and while I understand that the line has probably far outlasted its potential, it’s a bit sad for me as I have always marked each of my trips to a disney park with a Vinylmation figure souvenir. Lucky for me I was able to find this marvel set to choose from and ended up with a fairly unique figure in the set: MODOK. I know very little about MODOK so he certainly was not my fist pick, but I’m happy with him nevertheless, but it’s just too bad that he's likely my last given that they are not producing them any longer.

Pros: A fun unique character that is not really well known in the universe with a cool paint job that showcases his short stature with a clear base.

Cons: The series looks to have been cancelled or being phased out, I suppose after 10 years the fad has run its course, but I will have to figure out a new souvenir.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #263
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

136-2
Hasbro- GI Joe- Sigma Six: Snake Eyes

Yeah baby, buckle up because I’m about open the floodgates on a toy series that SHOULD have been way more popular and certainly set the stage for rise of the 6” figures that we see in today’s toy market. Sure there had been a few 6” figure lines prior to that, including Toy Biz Marvel Legends and Mattel’s DC line, but Sigma really amped it up with a nice blend of playability and collector aimed sculpting, accessories and articulation.

Unfortunately the world was not ready for Sigma 6 and without having any empirical evidence (as well as being completely bias) I’ll chalk it up to a few problems.
1. Concept. Hasbro tried the full court press including 2 toy lines, a comic and a questionable Sigma Six cartoon. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend checking out the first episode or at the very least the intro, it is certifiably bananas and probably left a real bad taste in those hardcore ARAH fans clamouring for something similar to what they are used to.
2. Design: Another thing that did not really fly with ARAH fans was that the designs were exaggerated and more cartoonish then the 3 ¾ figures. This was never really A big deal for me as I rather liked the look. Sure it was different, but I commend Hasbro for trying something different especially on a line that needed a fresh take.
3. Perhaps the largest issue was the size class as Sigma Six was split into two lines, a 2.5” and 8”. The 2.5” line had smaller figures and vehicles whereas the 8” line was mostly just full size figures with some added “soft goods”. I focused on the later as I didn’t really care for the little static figures that came with the vehicles, but I will say that I did end up picking the massive hover tank on sale and I was completely blown away. I will say that I get the complaints for the 8” size class as it does seem like an odd choice, but it allowed for a nice blend of sculpting, accessories, soft goods and play value that actually work on a figure this large, something that a 6” figure and 12” is not able to do.

Overall the line just rocks and I hope that my upcoming reviews can do them justice.

Pros: Snake Eyes here is a pretty solid example of what Sigma Six does well: Good sculpt, fun accessories and lots of play value. I also love that his “periscope” rifle is based on a real working weapon. Hasbro has always do well to include a touch of realism to the Joe line and I’m glad that Sigma was no different.

Cons: I will say that the articulation could use a bit of work, but maybe I have just been spoiled by Marvel Legends.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #264
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 09-19-2018, 05:24 PM   #265
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

137-2
Mattel- DC Multiverse: Wonder Woman

DC has a big problem of their hands and it is very hard to say how they are going to fix it: Their movies are bad and have no direction whatsoever and their toys are not great when compared to the stuff that Hasbro is putting out. The exception on the movies of course is Wonder Woman as it seems that my favourite part of any DC live action film involves her. Unfortunately Mattel didn't get the memo as this figure is a bit of a mixed bag.

Pros: Nice sculpt with great accessories including a Sword, Shield and lasso of truth.

Cons: Articulation is frustrating: Elbows can not bend more that 30 degrees, hips are totally hindered by her skirt and she can hardly look around because of her hair.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #266
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

002-R
Blue Box- Legend of The Dragoon- Kongol
Release Date (approx): 2000
Current Price and availability: $70.00
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/KONGOL-the-l...AAAOSwbVdbnEGv

Well this is a fun, retro figure based on a Sony PlayStation RPG game that I never played giving me zero understanding as to who, or what this is. Lucky for me Youtube exists and I was able to get a general overview of the game and saw Kongol in RPG, turn based action. Apparently the game has a bit of a cult following and to be honest it seems like a pretty decent game that would have actually appealed to me as I do like RPGs, but it also came out around the time my son was born, so I was likely too busy for games at the moment. As far as I can gather, the characters live in a world of Dragons and have the ability to either morph into them or channel their energy? Was not really clear in the portions of the walk through that I watched, but the game looked pretty cool with a combo of turn based fighting and immediate commands. I can’t say for sure as to why I picked the entire series up, but was probably a combo of cool looking, well articulated figures and price as I seem to recall these as being under $10 at Wal-Mart.

Pros: Pretty impressive to have a line of toys produced by a small company based on a game like this. Kongol himself is a rather imposing figure with some amazing detail and sculpting throughout.

Cons: Perhaps taking a cue from McFarlane toys, Kongol has limited articulation in certain key areas that make multiple poses impossible. Additionally, as full line, it seems as though all the figures are breaking apparent in one way or another. Nothing major, but either a piece of armour fell off or like Kongol, a weapon snaps. I suppose over time this tends to happens to plastic and rubber figures.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:34 PM   #267
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

138-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends- Hellcat

Last of the Thanos BAF series and certainly a mystery to me as I had no clue who Hellcat was and judging on how well this figure sold, I am probably not alone. I’ve said it before, but Marvel and Hasbro need to do a much better job in educating potential buyers on the figures that they are selling. Perhaps a short cartoon series that is not tied to the MCU, or one shot comic with their origin, or even take a page from their own book and have a file card with a PROPER bio; I feel it would go a long way to persuade buyers.

Pros: I love her costume; simple, sleek, but very classy looking. The head sculpt is fantastic and I like how they added claw hands, which is perhaps an original part for her?

Cons: A relatively unknown character that could have been sold a bit better. Also Comes with the SAME Thanos BAF piece as the arguably more popular Spider Woman causing fans and completists alike to shell out money for both.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #268
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

139-2
DC Collectibles- DC Bombshells: Batgirl.

***Sigh***

Sorry DC Collectibles, From this point on unless the Essentials really impresses me, or if the actually keep the Timm-verse line going, I am not spending ANY more money on your figures.

Why you ask?

Firstly, I’m pissed off about the Animated Justice League series being exclusive to the DC Streaming service. Not only is it a crock that I need to pay for opportunity to buy these figures, but as of the time that I’m writing this, the streaming service is not even available to Canadians; even if I wanted to buy them I couldn’t. I also hate that they are penalizing the local comic shops by taking them out of the equation completely; who do you think actually gets your stuff on their shelves in the first place?!?!

Secondly, they BREAK all the damn time with the latest being the tab on Bat Girls backpack. What's worse is that they have zero customer service outside of telling you to take it back to the LCS that you bought it from. I guess i’m supposed to get a replacement for a figure that was released a year ago with out issue?? RIght.

Thirdly, the old bait and switch BS that they pull. I had glowing reviews for the first series of Bombshells as all are fantastic, but it is clear that the second series was not given the same about of love (or money). Less impressive sculpts, limited accessories (including no other fists) and the worst offender, worse articulation including the very important thigh swivel… WTF DC!?!?

Pros: I love the overall look of Bombshells Batgirl and the figure captures it pretty well.

Cons: Broken tab on a useless backpack, no handheld accessories included and the lack of a thigh joint is really frustrating.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #269
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

Hellcat is actually Trish from the Netflix Jessica Jones series. The show probably premiered within the window in which the Thanos wave was released. Hasbro tends to sneak some lesser known characters into waves that are either supporting characters in their shows or comic events. They did this with Typhoid Mary who just made a debut in Iron Fist season 2.
turtle power eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #270
Team Skyfire
Red Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
001-R

It’s not too often that a person can pinpoint the moment when something changed their life, but I feel that this figure represents something that has been the longest, most consistent thing in my existence to date: toy collecting. I suppose some of the blame lies with my brother who gifted Obi-Wan, along with the POTF Tie Fighter for Christmas to me all the way back in 1995.
Huh. I was not aware of that. You're welcome? Or... I'm sorry??
Team Skyfire is offline   Reply With Quote