ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 03-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #361
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

196-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Peter Quill aka Star-Lord.

The Guardians of the Galaxy movie has done a lot in a relatively short period of time. Firsty it has popularized some very niche comic characters elevating them to be on the same level as Iron Man, Thor and Captain America, secondly it lead to the resurgence of the one hit wonder “Come and Get Your Love” by the 70s band Redbone (a song and band that I have NEVER heard in my life, but can’t get enough of currently) and lastly, it made an action star out of Chris Pratt playing the one and only Peter Quill and I for one cannot wait to see what is in store for our new hero Star Lord.

What’s that? He was Thanos snapped into dust and floated away into space? Oh alright.

And even if the defeated heros are reborn by the end of Avengers 4, the 3rd Guardians movie is in jeopardy because Disney fired James Gunn over some questionable tweets that he sent over 10 years ago that surfaced? Oh, um… hmmm. (Sorry, I wrote this a few months ago.)

Well, did you hear that Disney bought Fox and all the X-Men can be included into the MCU now? That’s fun right???

Pros: There is a lot to like about this figure: Great overall sculpt with a nice looking overcoat, decent pre ‘face printing’ head sculpt, awesome masked head and a good selection of accessories including his 2 guns, Plot device Infinity Stone orb and headphone/walkman cassette player.

Cons: Truthfully, nothing really too bad about this figure. Yes, the human head sculpt is a bit off, but it is easily remedied by using the much cooler masked head and the overcoat is a bit cumbersome, however is true to the movie and certainly looks the part and of course the cordless Headphone/Walkman set up is a bit frustrating given the discrepancy of the cordless headphone included verses the corded headphones that the character is known for, yet still not a deal breaker. I suppose the worst part of my figure specifically is that when he was placed in the blister package, his arms were bent in a way that warped the plastic elbow joint. Thankfully it doesn’t affect the figure too much unless you are looking for it.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #362
dusty
Red Shirt

Love the Star Lord dance pose. I'll have to use that one.
Love the thread and read it every time I see an update. Dont really post often on here but am always lurking. Excellent Job
dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:01 PM   #363
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
Love the Star Lord dance pose. I'll have to use that one.
Love the thread and read it every time I see an update. Dont really post often on here but am always lurking. Excellent Job
Thanks so much for the kind words! I'm really happy that you enjoy it; it's a bit of a labor of love, so the encouragement is certainly appreciated.

And that dance pose turned out surprisingly well... I just wish I had a lizard to use as a microphone.

Thanks again!
Old 03-22-2019, 09:39 AM   #364
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

197-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Combinderwars: Dead End.

On the grand scale of sports car alt modes, the G1 Dead End ranks pretty low on the list for me. I’m not saying that I would not happily drive a Porsche 944, but it certainly would not be my first choice. In fact, when I got his G1 version as a kid, I didn’t even realize that it was a Porsche until much later in life and even then I still prefer the 911 as made popular (to me) by Jazz. That said, I would have much rathered Hasbro did at least a version of the 944 on this figure to look a little like his namesake?

Pros: As with the other combiner wars figures, Dead End is a nice update to his G1 counterpart and features a nice sculpt (despite the vehicle mode), good paint job and excellent articulation.

Cons: I really wish they would have attempted to match his G1 vehicle self as it was a pretty unique looking car. Also I’m not sure why this is a thing with the Stunticons, but apparently they gave up all their guns for Double Dragon weapons. I’m totally fine with things like swords and spears, but a pipe? And even if he tried to hold it like a gun the silly pipe end would shoot up to the sky. Sigh, maybe the designers are creating a backstory that as cars, the Stunticons spend a lot of time at the Junkyard.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:25 PM   #365
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

198-2
Hasbro- GI Joe Pursuit of Cobra: Croc Master

It wasn’t until I put this Croc Master on the shelf that I realized that this “new” version was basically a less accurate repaint of the 25th ARAH Croc Master, but with way more accessories. I’m not really sure what I was expecting, but maybe a bit more updated version? That said, I have loved Croc Master since I was a kid so a repaint with more accessories is fine by me.

Pros: Like a masked Steve Irwin, this Croc Master seems to attract a number of different dangerous creatures and I would like to think that he loves them just the same. In addition he has a number of guns, his signature wipe, a reptile case and even a net to capture new friends. Ok, maybe not as altruistic as Steve Irwin, but he is still a Cobra agent.

Cons: The figure is a repaint of the recent 25th anniversary with worse colours than the original, also the whip doesn’t really fit well into his hand.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:00 AM   #366
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

199-2
DC Collectibles- The New Adventures of Batman: The Creeper

It really pains me to say this, but parts of the “Bruce Timm Verse” Batman Animated series have really not aged well. I suppose that after all this time It would be reasonable to assume that somethings would not hold up, but after rewatching “Beware of the Creeper” in preparation for this review I was pretty surprised at the over sexualization of the female characters and the borderline sexual harassment that is found throughout this cartoon geared at younger aged boys. Not grabbing my pitchfork or lighting my torch just yet, but I think it’s safe to say that things in popular culture have certainly changed. Now beyond that, I actually really like the idea of the Creeper and think that DC could develop him into a bigger character; perhaps a bit of an anti-hero akin to what Harley has become. In fact I could see a mini series with them teaming up against the Joker.

Pros: I really dig The Creeper’s overall unique look (disputed not knowing that he was essentially naked) and DC did a fantastic job producing a figure from right out of the carton complete with a lot of mass thanks to his huge red boa. As with other TNBA figures he also comes with some additional hands and episode specific accessories as well as the typical amount of articulation for the line.

Cons: While I appreciate the look of the boa, it doesn’t function very well and makes the figure extremely top heavy; so much so that his poseability is hindered.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:33 AM   #367
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

200-2
Bandai- Thundercats- Mumm Rah.

Well, this is a bit anticlimactic isn’t it? My special 200th review is for this mediocre figure (not going to bury the lead) and while I have really appreciated the Bandai Thundercat line and the Cartoon that it was based on, but as far as a franchise goes this will probably be my last brush with anything Thundercat related unless they scrap Roar in favor of finishing off the 2011? Doubtful I’m sure, but if Young Justice can do it perhaps there is some hope.

Pros: Overall for a 3 ¾ figure Mumm Ra looks really great as they did a nice job on the sculpt. I also appreciate how Bandai dealt with the hard plastic skirt issue that tends to limit hip articulation by attached each section separately. I’m not saying that this would work for a figure like “Toy Box Luke Skywalker”, but it’s nice to see that they actually tried.

Cons: Like with the other Thundercat figures of this size, the articulation is just not usable and actually takes away from the overall figure. I realize that these were released in tandem with a vehicle line that these were designed to be played together, but as standalone figures they are just ok.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #368
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

201-2
Disney- Toybox- Pixar: Mr. Incredible & Fireball Jack-Jack.

What’s the general consensus on Incredibles 2? Did everyone like it? Did it stand toe to toe with the original? And perhaps most importantly, was it worth the wait? Like most others I loved the first one, but was cautiously optimistic that the sequel would be as good and for the most part it was. I figure that with these 5-6 Incredibles figures I’ll include either one thing I liked or one thing I didn’t like about the movie; let’s just think of it as the longest running movie review in history.

So I’ll start with something good: the timing/timeline. Even though the movies are 14 years apart, Incredibles 2 picks up right where Incredibles ends and to be honest, it’s a gutsy move as the reliance on the audience to come prepared for the next chapter of the story really depends heavily on the movie goers understanding of part one. Despite some early exposition through out the first few minutes if you don’t know this family, you might be lost and let's be honest, there is a lot that can happen in 14 years for people who have lives, unlike myself, that don’t make an effort to re watch Disney and Pixar movies on the regular. At any rate, it’s a bold move and I think one that pays off, especially since it allows the Underminer to shine, if not just for a few more minutes

Pros: Way back in one of my initial reviews I sang some praises for the Pixar specific 6” (ish), fully articulated Mr Incredible that was released by Thinkway Toys. The line was short lived, but it had potential that was eventually realized by Toybox in the form of these figures. So as you can imagine I’m a big fan of this figure with its Infinity style sculpt and decent articulation, including ankle tilts! I also commend Disney on including a Flaming Jack Jack accessory to showcase one of him many powers.

Cons: Even though I have said 100 times that I love the Infinity aesthetic, I can’t help but wonder if Mr. Incredible cold not have been just a bit bigger as Bob in the movies really does tower over his family. Also due to his size posing is a bit challenging as he’s a bit top heavy.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:23 AM   #369
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

202-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Scarlet Witch.

Much like The Wasp, the MCU has really helped the popularity of the Scarlet Witch in recent years and while it’s not a direct link to her comic book self, she’s pretty darn close. That said, If I had my way, I would have liked to see her introduced as Magneto’s daughter, as a superhuman with mutant ability and as part of the X-Men. Granted when she was first introduced way back in Avengers: Age of Ultron that was not a possibility or even in the works for that matter, so Marvel did what they had to do and at least was able to keep the connection to her brother and Vision.

Pros: SW here was released well before the MCU version was imagined so it’s obviously based on her rather eye-catching comic book aesthetic. Despite the comic accuracy, I’m not a huge fan of the costume as it tooks to be a bit much, but appreciate it, especially the cape, nevertheless. An amazing head sculpt, typical female ML articulation throughout and some included standard energy effects round her out nicely.

Cons: It’s a good think that she has that hard plastic cape as getting her to stand with those heels is nearly impossible.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #370
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

203-2
Playmates- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- Usagi Yojimbo

True story, despite really wanting Donatello, I never had any of the original turtle figures, but was fortunate to have the Playmates version of Usagi Yojimbo when I was a kid and let me tell you, he certainly made an impression as my second favorite TMNT character, that is somehow not really a TMNT character, of the whole series. I suppose his inclusion could even count as one of the first major crossovers of pop culture media; that is if people were that aware he was in fact, from a different series all together, a series that I understand is really well done; too bad that I have never looked into it. That said, when I saw his inclusion to the Nick Turtle line I was really excited to pick him up and for the most part he does not disappoint.

Pros: Really nice looking sculpt that both captures his look from the show and his somewhat grumpy disposition, A good amount of articulation and two swords with scabbards to store them! Yay! Also, I think I mentioned this before, but at under $10, these are a great value.

Cons: Given the price point it’s a big ask, but a few more points or usable articulation would be great as well as including his hat that he wears throughout the show to complete the look.