ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 05-16-2023, 02:26 PM   #1571
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 03:58 PM   #1572
DanM
Aquanaut

There was a Two Towers box as well, you just got a later release.
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 12:51 AM   #1573
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post
There was a Two Towers box as well, you just got a later release.
How dare you question my lazy assumption with logic!
Old 05-17-2023, 10:22 PM   #1574
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

917-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Spider Punk

So here’s the thing: I would have been pumped for Spider Punk: I love Spider-Man, I love the Spider-Verse, I was in a band and even love/played PUNK music, but for whatever reason, Spider Punk just never appealed to me UNTIL that is, I OPENED him. Yeah, I was wrong: Spider Punk is amazing and I now love him: go figure.

Pros: I don’t think it is a new body and has “spidey standard” articulation, but there are a few things that makes it feel fresh and new including his punk rawk head, his converse style sneakers and of course his bad as jean vest adorned with spikes, buttons and patches. The other thing that makes this set are the accessories where they included the standard fist and thwip hands, but also a hand to properly hold his guitar and a hand with a pick to play it!

Cons: A little more details on his Guitar would be amazing.

Old 05-18-2023, 05:46 PM   #1575
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

S-50
Mattel- DC Multiverse Signature Collection- Batman Forever: Batman.

Well, well, well, would you look at this relic? Ok, not a real relic considering it?s still relatively new, but certainly a relic of a previous era. For those not aware, for years DC Multiverse figures were produced by Mattel toys, but (for better or worse) lost the license to McFarlane Toys in 2019. As far as I could tell, this Batman Forever ?Signature Series? figure was one of the last Mattel figures produced and was part of a line that featured figures from various live action iterations of the characters. The initial wave included Val Kilmer Batman, John Shipp Flash and Lynda Carter Wonder Woman, but it seems as though only the first two hit market saturation. The second wave included Danny DeVito Penguin and Heath Ledger Joker (which I?m seriously considering tracking down) and seemed to be released in limited quantities before likely ceasing all production when they lost the license. Now I can?t speak for the rest, but if Mattel produced more figures like this, they may not have lost the license in the first place given that Kilmer Batman is pretty great, IMO.

Pros: I came across this bad boy at my LCS where it was priced for a very reasonable $15. Given that I like cheap and unique figures I figured why not and to be honest? I?m extremely impressed. Mattel CAN make decent action figures with cool sculpts, nice articulation, soft goods and neat accessories: they just apparently didn?t want to. They even included a nice stand with multiple pegs to set up different poses and a flight stand arm. VERY COOL!

Cons: Unfortunately the packaging did a bit of a number on the cape and I?m not sure if it will ever smooth itself out. I also understand that these were quite expensive back when they were released which probably didn?t help Mattel?s downfall in the DC Superhero space.

Old 06-05-2023, 11:02 AM   #1576
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

918-2
Hasbro- Overwatch Ultimates: Zarya

Bittersweet to say the least, this is my last Overwatch figure and I got to say the general toy collecting population did NOT deserve you Zarya here is the perfect example why: SHE IS AMAZING and I have NO idea who she is or what she does in the Overwatch game. Next time you crack open another $35 Marvel Legends Spider-Man repaint with the same old body, same old hands and limited accessories, understand that Zarya has all new unique parts, an amazing sculpt and possibly the best gun that I have ever seen: and I get her for only $10 at Save on Foods…. Unreal. Overwatch Ultimates you will be missed.

Pros: An amazing figure for a game I never played that was part of a failed toy line, but sometimes it goes that way. The sculpt is fantastic, the articulation is excellent for such a bulky figure and the weapon and blast effect are some of the best I’ve ever seen.

Cons: As bulky as she is there is not enough stability to stand upright holding her weapon with the blast effect. Don’t get me wrong I still love her, but don’t like that she can’t be posed with the effect.

Old 06-06-2023, 03:33 PM   #1577
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

919-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Mantis

As I do with all completed BAFs, it is time for a retrospect of all the figures that were included in this wave:

1. Rocket Raccoon- Overall a way better rocket than the first release given that he has a fully articulation lower torso.
2. Gamora- Gamora is also a big improvement over the initial release and overall a decent iteration of the character.
3. Nebula- Love Nebula and could be the one of my favorites of the line.
4. Star Lord- Another Star Lord for the ranks, but certainly a cool version with the long jacket.
5. Adam Warlock- I’m guessing he will make a lot more sense after Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 is released.
6. Ex Nihilo- I dunno, he’s a big gold guy with a lot of personality…
7. Deaths Head II- Hands down my favorite of the wave.

Pros: Overall Mantis is fine. A decent sculpt with standard articulation.

Cons: Is this really the best use of the BAF concept? Overall I’m fine with the BAF concept, but make it something worthwhile that wouldn’t typically get a normal release.

Old 06-07-2023, 04:53 PM   #1578
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

920-2
Hasbro- Ghostbusters Plasma Collection: Vinz Clortho

As I do with all completed BAFs, it is time for a retrospect of all the figures that were included in this wave:

1. Peter Venkman- Ok, most of the Ghostbusters are the same, but come with different accessories so my rankings will be determined by what they come with. Peter comes with a trap which is awesome.
2. Ray Stantz- Ray comes with a set of goggles that I?m scared that will break.
3. Egon Spengler- Egon only has a PKE meter which is cool for the figure, but not compared to the others.
4. Winston Zeddemore- Favorite character of the set and comes with he best accessory which is the blast effect.
5. Dana Barrett- Not a big fan of sultry figures.
6. Gozer- Decidedly a meh figure.

Pros: I bet you for $1000 you couldn?t have named the ghost dog from Ghostbusters, but her it is: VINZ CLORTHO. Is it weird that he has a first and last name? Overall pretty cool for a beast type character with a nice sculpt and decent articulation. Good stuff.

Cons: Nothing really: this is a great use for the BAF concept and overall it?s a nice figure.

Old 06-08-2023, 05:47 PM   #1579
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Decided to get back into doing some retro figure reviews so here is one to get started:

22-R
Kaiyodo Xebec Toys- Neon Genesis Evangelion: Eva-00 Prototype

I’m not going to bury the lead on this, I only bought this figure, and it’s linemates, because I thought they looked cool. Yes I was into Gundam Wing at the time, and I knew there was some type of Anime series that would explain something about them, but I was more interested in the figures as they were so unique and amazing looking that it didn’t even matter. Since then I have seen a few eps of the series (it is on Netflix), but I heard that the story doesn’t really go anywhere, so I’m not sure if I will continue in favor of other series that I really need to catch up on.

Pros: EVERYTHING. Consider that these figures came out in 1997-98 and Hasbro was still doing 5 POA figures. These EVA mechs were super detailed, had a very unique articulation scheme that allowed for an unprecedented range of motion at the time and came with a ton of very cool accessories. EVA 00 may be my favorite for the simple fact that he can hold the sniper rifle in a prone position and still look out of the scope. So great!

Cons: These truly are collectables given how easily they break. I’m sure it’s due to plastic degradation, but it’s not uncommon for joints to snap off on these figures.

Old 06-09-2023, 02:20 PM   #1580
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

921-2
Hasbro- G.I. Joe Sigma Six: Inferno

Do you remember Fisher Price’s toy line called Rescue Heroes? Well I sure do and do you know why? Because I actually had them, and no, it was not as a kid: I was at least 19 years old and collected them unironically. Understand that this was a very lean time for action figures and there wasn’t much outside of Star Wars and a handful of McFarlane figures for me to get excited about so I went with something that was both cheap and looked kind of cool. Each figure was a special blue collar worker that had a backpack with a special spring loaded specific feature to characters specialty. The fireman had an ax, the construction worker had a jackhammer and the PoliceMan had… something that I can’t recall. Toys were supported with a kids cartoon and a ton of other merch but was eventually phased out in favor of other licenced preschool products that featured Spiderman and Transformers (that I also bought, but for my infant son). These neat little figures remained in my collection for a little while, but were quickly phased out with subsequent Star Wars figures from the prequel films and the rise in popularity of Transformers. Eventually I believe they were given to my kids to play with and then donated to a thrift store, but there is something small in the back of my head that wishes I kept them, if not just for memories. Anyways, this is really just a long way to say that these job specific Sigma Six figures are one small step away from the old school Rescue Hero figures.

Pros: Understanding that I’ve had about 15 years of anticipation for some of these Sigma Six figures and the realization that they may not be as good as I thought they would be hurts me greatly. With that said, I like these figures a lot and am happy to have them in my collection. The overall sculpt, accessories and play value are still top notch and I still hold Sigma Six as one of the BEST toy lines ever produced.

Cons: Pros aside, there are some objective issues with this guy that make him a bit disappointing. 1. Even with 4 tabs, the backpack doesn’t stay very well on his back. 2. The ax hose that connects into the backpack isn’t very pliable making it even more difficult to keep the backpack in place . And 3. I love the removable helmet, but the oxygen tank that fits on the chest plate is connected with the same inflexible material making it difficult to affix it into place and greatly limits any head movement. Again, it’s not a bad figure per se, but given what I know about the construction of these figures, I’m sure it could have been much better.