ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 10-21-2022, 03:13 PM   #6201
MapleMegatron
Agent of Shield
Re: Marvel Legends discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
I can't see these Windowless boxes continuing beyond next year. It's only a matter of time before retailers start losing money from this and get on Hasbro's ass making them change it because if there's one thing Hasbro loves more than the environment, it's money.
I was in a round table discussion with Hasbro yesterday and there is no sign of closed boxes stopping for Marvel figures. The only open boxes they are keeping for similarly priced figures is Transformers since that line is:

a) more aimed at kids
b) not a character centric line like Marvel, more about selling robots, and kids need to see the robot to foster the appeal of getting the toy.

Also, apparently, closed boxes evoke a more premium feel for collectors. Don't know if that's true for you guys. Honestly, if Marvel legends becomes a primarily web offered product, then closed boxes make sense.

Other news : Mr Knight was found at Gamestops in Montreal as well and I found the Attuma wave at Walmart for $14 each. Only picked up classic Black Panther.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 03:15 PM   #6202
MapleMegatron
Agent of Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanInferno27 View Post
I was initially worried about getting a refund or exchange since they changed their policies around but they followed through.
There is no widesread policy right now aside from Funko Pops. The message that was newsed was only found locally.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:35 PM   #6203
MorphGrid
Cobra Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
Also, apparently, closed boxes evoke a more premium feel for collectors. Don't know if that's true for you guys. Honestly, if Marvel legends becomes a primarily web offered product, then closed boxes make sense.
When you look at premium collector lines like Mafex and Revoltech and still see a window, it does make me wonder where Hasbro got the idea that the closed boxes offer a more premium feel. Because it seems like just like kids, adults would want to be able to see the product and make sure they're getting the figure that they want. Additionally, it seems like Medicom and Revoltech at least do their best to make the box presentable whereas the Legends version truly looks horrendous.

It's what I did when I bought the Captain America 2-pack and Mr. Knight.

Last edited by MorphGrid; 10-21-2022 at 03:39 PM.
MorphGrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 03:48 PM   #6204
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

I don't know why they Didn't just go with the packaging that comic Boba came in. Windowless window with a door flap that opens. That would have been most practical going forward but I guess that costs too much money than having these mystery boxes.
Zeroflamez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 04:35 PM   #6205
Napseeker
Dark Knight

The real reason for Hasbro switching to windowless boxes, is that the US government gives them a tax break for products that have no plastic in their packaging at all (which would explain why just getting rid of the plastic tray isn't good enough, they have to eliminate the plastic window as well to likely qualify for this tax break).

Usual Hasbro greed masking itself as a PR move to save the environment.
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 04:50 PM   #6206
MapleMegatron
Agent of Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphGrid View Post
it does make me wonder where Hasbro got the idea that the closed boxes offer a more premium feel.
I can see it. Sideshow collectibles has closed boxes and the highest priced action figures they were selling so far were in the Transformers masterpiece line imported from Japan which have closed boxes.

Last edited by MapleMegatron; 10-21-2022 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-21-2022, 05:49 PM   #6207
MorphGrid
Cobra Trooper

Quote:
I can see it. Sideshow collectibles has closed boxes and the highest priced action figures they were selling so far were in the Transformers masterpiece line imported from Japan which have closed boxes.
I think generally mecha products are almost always closed boxes going as far as early Super Sentai series and eventually the Power Rangers series. I remember Bandai's Zords always been closed boxes, and then you have model kits that are also closed boxes.
MorphGrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 07:11 PM   #6208
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
I think generally mecha products are almost always closed boxes going as far as early Super Sentai series and eventually the Power Rangers series. I remember Bandai's Zords always been closed boxes, and then you have model kits that are also closed boxes.
Bandais Zords have always been closed box in Japan. In America however, they started to do open box in 2007-2008 with the Operation Over Drive Season and Jungle Fury Seasons onward.
Zeroflamez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 07:14 PM   #6209
philtastic
Master of the Universe

Quote:
I was in a round table discussion with Hasbro yesterday and there is no sign of closed boxes stopping for Marvel figures. The only open boxes they are keeping for similarly priced figures is Transformers since that line is:

a) more aimed at kids
b) not a character centric line like Marvel, more about selling robots, and kids need to see the robot to foster the appeal of getting the toy.

Other news : Mr Knight was found at Gamestops in Montreal as well and I found the Attuma wave at Walmart for $14 each. Only picked up classic Black Panther.
I'd like to know more about this round table. How did you get invited? Are they open to the public? What other topics were discussed?
philtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 07:16 PM   #6210
MapleMegatron
Agent of Shield

Quote:
Interestingly, the latest power rangers mecha have been open box. It's more the premium ones that are closed box, like ZAP Dino Megazord. And with Bandai of America for the previous 10 years, only the collector zords were windlowless boxes, the rest had windows. And Hasbro tranaforners have always been open box aside from collector oriented toys. So further making a link between closed boxes and premium.

Hasbro is just making that a rule now across all lines.

Last edited by MapleMegatron; 10-21-2022 at 07:21 PM.