ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 09-26-2020, 01:35 PM   #691
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

423-2
Hasbro- Transformers Studio Series: Optimus Prime (Revenge of the Fallen)

Another day, another Optimus Prime toy. I don’t keep count, but if I were to guess, I think I would have more Optimus Primes than any other Transformers character, and of that bunch, more movieverse style than anything else, which is brutal as I do not particularly care for that design. That said, I love this Studio Series figure and will say until my dying day that I disliked MOST of the movie Revenge of the Fallen, except the forest battle, which incidentally, this figure is based on. So I suppose if they are going to rope me in with yet another Optimus, it may as well be from a sequence that I like.

Pros: Pretty well everything on this Studio Series Optimus is great. Nice sculpt in both modes, challenging yet not impossible transformation, 2 blades that smartly attach on to Optimus’ arms and a super poseable robot mode that really allows for multiple solid poses.

Cons: As a fan of Jetfire, I was really annoyed that this Revenge of the Fallen Optimus was not compatible with the upcoming Revenge of the Fallen Jetfire, which will require yet another movieverse Optimus Prime. Like how many Primes do I need?

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:35 PM   #692
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 09-28-2020, 12:39 PM   #693
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

424-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Ultimate Spiderman

Another day, another Spiderman. Wait, this is what I said about Optimus Prime last review and now that I think about it, I bet that once I crack open all of my Spiderman figures I will have to reassess who I have more of. As with Optimus, I was happy to pick up this new figure given the differences to the other Spider-men, (smaller stature, youthful head sculpt) and that it is based on possibly my favorite Spiderman Comic Run: Ultimate Spiderman. Again, Hasbro really knows how to get my money.

Pros: Solid sculpt on a smaller stature body type, a good amount of articulation allowing for many “spidy type” poses, a number of different included hands and a fantastic teenage looking head sculpt.

Cons: This is likely only on my figure, but as you can see by the pictures, there is a blob of white paint on his inside bicep. I also wish that they would have given him the same amount of articulation as the almost perfect “pizza spiderman” to allow for even more spider poses.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:57 PM   #694
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

425-2
Hasbro- GI Joe Sigma Six: Cobra Commander

I’m continuing to review each episode of the short lived G.I. Joe Renegades show; see review 275-2, 302-2, 330-2, 357-2, 384-2, 398-2 & 413for previous thoughts.

EP08: Busted

Basic Premise (from Wikipedia): Duke is wrongfully imprisoned when he gets caught up in a chop shop while looking for a replacement part for their vehicle. The rest of G.I. Joe must break him out of prison by having Roadblock get arrested. They soon discover that the prison warden is making prisoners fight each other for his amusement. Now the Joes must get Duke and Roadblock out and expose the illegal activities in the prison.

Thoughts: A decent filler episode with some fun moments that continues to build the Joes up as freedom fighters rather than outlaws. I am getting a bit tired of the cat and mouse game between the team and Flint and hope that very soon he either comes around to their plight, or just catches them. Nice to see a short appearance by Law and Order, the MP team from the GI Joe Movie.

Pros: Only after I placed this Cobra Commander on the shelf did I notice this was basically a repaint of the initial Sigma Six Cobra Commander release. Not that I mind though, as he seems a lot different what with all different accessories and a different helmet. I realize that I have just reduced my collecting habits to that of a Simpsons episode (Malibu Stacy with a new hat) but what are you going to do? At any rate, I’m a big fan of anything Sigma Six, so predictably I am a fan of this figure. He’s got a great sculpt with cloth cape, featured in a different color than we are used to seeing, a decent amount of articulation for the time and a bunch of really unique accessories: A hand gun that can be stored on his belt, a forearm flame shield thing, an axe/staff with flames coming out of the ends and finally a flame bazooka with 2 different spring loaded flame missiles and a little insert power source. I’m still absolutely tickled that all of this stuff was sold for $24.99; unreal.

Cons: Unfortunately his new helmet does not fit on his head very well.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:58 PM   #695
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 09-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #696
WhenGeeksCollide
Cobra Trooper

https://youtu.be/wdELnGTfWSQ
WhenGeeksCollide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:49 PM   #697
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

426-2
DC Collectables- DC Icons: Cyborg.

Continuing my quest to re-watch all the DC Animated features to date and give some thoughts regarding 3 key touchpoints: Animation Style, Voice Acting & Story. These are really just rough notes as I watched the movie and might not make a whole lot of sense unless you have recently watched it. See 290-2, 303-2, 318-2, 331-2, 344-2, 358-2, 369-2, 371-2, 385-2, 399-2 & 414-2 for my previous instalments.

Batman: Year One 2011

Animation Style: I’m a big fan of the overall look of the animation and designs of each of the main characters and can see links to the Batman: Year One comic source material. Its exceptionally cool how they split panels during the end credit between the comic and the cartoon to show how similar they were, making this feel like a comic that has come to life. I’m sure other animated features have done that in the past, but they really made a point to show it.

Voice acting: A fairly small cast by comparison to other DC movies, Batman: Year One has some highlights, including Brian Cranston as Jim Gordon, Eliza Dushku as Selina and some amazing other character actors with years of experience in both TV and Movies. Unfortunately though, the voice of Batman and Bruce Wayne did not work for me at all. He is played by Ben McKenzie, who has been in a lot of great projects, including funny enough, playing Gordon in the Gotham TV series, but his voice modulation was just way off what I think Batman should sound like; thankfully he was a one and done.

Story: While I have not read the source material, I feel like I have seen this same Batman story over and over in different media, so if this was the first (which suspect it is), then kudos to Frank Millar for such an ingenious concept. I mean, we all know Batman’s origin story, but we always seem to come in at the 2nd act of his crime fighting career, so when we see his trials and tribulations of figuring things out, including, but not limited to, getting his ass kicked multiple times, it’s really quite interesting. I also love the year one parallels between Bruce and Gordon and if I’m being honest, almost like Gordon’s arc better as there are more surprises throughout. I also like how this was a low key “Year One” for Catwoman even though I’m not certain that it is my favorite origin story for her. Overall it’s a good movie and will be enjoyed fans of Frank Miller's style, but personally this was a bit lacklustre for me given that I feel I’ve seen this type of story before and that I prefer a more mature Batman that is already part of the Justice League or has the extended “bat family” to back him up.

Pros: Much like the other DC Icons that I have had the pleasure of reviewing, Cyborg has some amazing detail throughout. It’s really wild how DC Icons was able to make unique moulds for all these figures and keep the price comparable to Hasbro’s Marvel legends. Additionally to that, Cyborg is a deluxe figure and comes with a number of different weapon attachments, open and closed hands and a power generator complete with 3 different hoses that each port into different arms. Lastly the articulation is Icons standard and allows for a number of decent poses.

Cons: Overall I’m not really sure that Cyborg is worth the inflated price. Yes, there are some really cool weapon attachments and the idea of the power generator is cool, but the finished product is rather frustrating as the hoses do not reach his arm. This is a combo of not being long enough and being far too stiff to bend. This was the selling feature and it doesn’t even really work… BOOO.

Old 09-30-2020, 02:34 PM   #698
ghostlurk29
Mutant

It had a few misses, but DC Icons was a great line overall. A shame it didn't last.
ghostlurk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:33 PM   #699
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlurk29 View Post
It had a few misses, but DC Icons was a great line overall. A shame it didn't last.
You are so right. Scale and thigh swivels aside, it might be one of the best lines that are in my collection.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:33 PM   #700
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

020-R
Bandai- Final Fantasy IX: Vivi Ornitier
Approx release date: 2000
Current price and availability: $72.99 (for the 2 pack)
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F254230331802

I honestly had no idea that this little Black Mage’s name was Vivi, given that I probably gave him some random name when I played the game, but I digress, Vivi is an absolutely satisfactory name when it comes to the world of Final Fantasy; and what a world it is. Like many others, I was a big fan of the series and remember playing the original Final Fantasy with my brother on his litle 14” TV for hours on end. Sure I likely did more watching than actually playing, but I still remember it fondly. Fast forward to my late teens and early twenties the series again had a big impact with the massively popular Final Fantasy 7 (which I was able to complete), the revolutionary Final Fantasy 8 (which I spent hours on) and the enjoyable Final Fantasy 9 (I played quite a bit, but didn’t have the time given that my son was born, I was working full time, and going to University full time). I eventually picked up Final Fantasy 10 (on PS2), Final Fantasy Tactics (on the Nintendo GameCube) and Final Fantasy IV (on the Nintendo DS) with only really coming close to finishing FF IV given the ability to play anywhere. Unfortunately it’s been a few years since I have played Video Games, opting to spend my free time with these reviews and I’m still a big fan of the series, but I couldn't even tell you what the latest FF game is. I’m not sure that really matters though given that the nature of these turn based RPGs have a somewhat timeless quality to them and could easily be picked up on any device for literally hours of enjoyment. I picked Vivi out all my FF figures to showcase as he has been my favorite since the original series and still like his design.

Pros: Great representation of the now iconic little Mage and comes with his little magic staff and a stand.

Cons: Scale wise I would have liked a larger figure with improved articulation and pose-ability. It would have also been cool if they included some magic effects .