ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 04-06-2023, 08:05 PM   #1
Ksteel
Mutant
Hasbro Bringing Back Window Packaging in 2024!

https://toynewsi.com/278-46980

LOL

Clearly the 'Plastic-free' packaging campaign was an absolute disaster.

"We wanted to share an update on packaging for Hasbro?s 6-inch-scale figures. Based on your feedback, we will be re-introducing windows and blisters to our 6-inch fan figures beginning later this year, into 2024 for select products across our portfolio of brands, including, G.I. Joe Classified, Power Rangers Lightning Collection, Star Wars Black Series and Marvel Legends. This will eventually expand to all new 6-inch figure releases.

The new windows and blisters will be made from bio PET or recycled PET helping us achieve our priority of meeting our fans? expectations for extraordinary packaging and superior design while still developing packaging that minimizes waste and the use of virgin plastic.

Thank you again for being one of our biggest fans and for your continued support of Hasbro."
Ksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 09:01 PM   #2
ghostlurk29
Mutant
Re: Hasbro Bringing Back Window Packaging in 2024!

The dozens of us who liked plastic-free packaging are very disappointed with this news.
ghostlurk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 09:23 PM   #3
Robimus
Super Moderator

Sure, why not.

I guess this tells us sales were down.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 10:37 PM   #4
sixshot1981
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlurk29 View Post
The dozens of us who liked plastic-free packaging are very disappointed with this news.
Dozens is being generous lol
sixshot1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 02:21 AM   #5
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Well that didn't last long lol.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 05:20 AM   #6
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......

I guess the environment isn't all that profitable after all for a company that makes plastic toys.

What was that? Less than a year?

I guess, as Robimus opined, sales must have taken a nosedive off a cliff. Maybe their big retail partners also complained? Either way good news for those of us who preferred the plastic window/tray packaging.

I also would hazard a guess that this puts to rest the notion that Hasbro was doing this for the environment, and not as a cost cutting measure. Sure "non-virgin" PET plastic is not as bad as "virgin" plastic, but it is still not as environmentally friendly as plastic free.

At least they reversed course, which is probably all we need to know about how well this went over (is that a lead balloon I see on the ground?).
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 08:18 AM   #7
ssjgoku22
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Sure, why not.

I guess this tells us sales were down.
Not to mention the half a million qc complaints they were receiving from customer complaints due to windowless packaging.

Last edited by ssjgoku22; 04-07-2023 at 12:44 PM.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 08:43 AM   #8
Ksteel
Mutant

What's amusing to note is a lot of the 2023 Hasbro output is also haphazardly being converted to Plastic Cards now.

Like the Spider-verse Wave, on Retro-Cards.

Wouldn't be surprised if many other 2023 ML waves which aren't specifically 'Retro' are given the retrocard treatment.
Ksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 01:34 PM   #9
Eko123
Body without Organs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksteel View Post
What's amusing to note is a lot of the 2023 Hasbro output is also haphazardly being converted to Plastic Cards now.

Like the Spider-verse Wave, on Retro-Cards.

Wouldn't be surprised if many other 2023 ML waves which aren't specifically 'Retro' are given the retrocard treatment.
In addition to using retrocard packaging, I wonder if Hasbro will eliminate the build-a-figures and replace them with deluxe figures (on which they can charge more)?
Eko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 02:44 PM   #10
MorphGrid
Cobra Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eko123 View Post
In addition to using retrocard packaging, I wonder if Hasbro will eliminate the build-a-figures and replace them with deluxe figures (on which they can charge more)?
I remember hearing complaints about BAF as a concept since the dark days, so it's probably them going "well if they hate BAFs, then we can just charge them for deluxes" (which is obscene considering back in 2020, deluxe figures only cost like 40 dollars, and now they're hitting 50-60 USD, which is roughly 80 dollars here).

The thing that frustrates me is that accessories will be taken out, and they were already limited to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
I guess, as Robimus opined, sales must have taken a nosedive off a cliff. Maybe their big retail partners also complained? Either way good news for those of us who preferred the plastic window/tray packaging.
Considering Chris Cocks had the audacity to say that consumers were "price sensitive", it becomes pretty obvious that not even Legends was immune to this. Nerdzoic did mention that he'd heard significant rumblings of retailers complaining to their distributors about the amount of swaps and returns happening due to QC issues, which got relayed to Hasbro.

Last edited by MorphGrid; 04-07-2023 at 02:50 PM.
MorphGrid is offline   Reply With Quote