ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 01:38 PM   #1
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions
What are your thoughts/wishes for the next Haslab project?

So with the Razor Crest coming up to the end of the funding date my thoughts have turned to possibilities for the next Haslab project.

I thought I would start a thread to discuss the possibilities amongst ourselves. Now it doesn't necessarily have to be about the exact next project, but anything you might think is possible for any line Hasbro makes.

I have to admit the Dragon Quest threw me as a possible Haslab project. As well as the notion put forward of lower priced projects in the future. Anyway....

I think it it is unlikely the next project will be Star Wars related. Possibly Marvel, but they are still waiting on the Sentinel to ship. So probably not likely the next one either. I could see a Transformer, but I think it might be GI Joe related since the movie is due next year.

If it is then, of course, I would love a USS Flagg. However I think it might be too big, and risky, for Hasbro to try first. A Terrordrome might be better, and a lower price point.

However I think if Hasbro were to do Joe they might go with something smaller. Something like the Killer Whale, or Night Raven. I could go for either of those done with greater attention to detail, and scaled a bit better for 3 3/4" figures.

As for other lines, I think Galactus is all but a done deal for the next Marvel project.

I really don't know what they might consider for another Transformers project. Maybe a diorama of some sort? It's kind of tough since they have Commander Class, Titan class, and Masterpiece already.

Out of left field, since they did a Haslab for Dragon Quest, I would love it if they did something similar to bring back M.A.S.K. since they can't seem to get it going as a regular line.

Last edited by canprime; 10-26-2020 at 01:41 PM.
canprime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #2
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon
Re: What are your thoughts/wishes for the next Haslab project?

Galactus or USS Flagg would be my guess.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:05 PM   #3
Toradoch
Super Friend

I think I remember seeing a calculation that even at the super deformed size of the original Flagg, to fit the 6in scale would be something in the neighbourhood of 14 feet long. It would be epic, but I can't even imagine how they would manage that.

It's sort of an outside longshot, but what could be really cool is a large dragon (perhaps even a Tiamat) to help launch their D&D line. You'd get a LOT of Mythic Legions folks throwing their money at it. I know it's not their intended target, but I'm sure they wouldn't turn down the cross line income. Alternately, they could do a FingFangFoom that would scratch both itches.
Toradoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:46 PM   #4
wedge1021
Mutant

At this point I'm pretty much done with the really big items. I went in on the barge, Sentinel, and Razor Crest. I can't really see myself going for another that size - maybe a Jawa Sandcrawler if they did one. I'd probably pass on Galactus.

My preference would be smaller projects. Things that would never sell as a mass retail item. I'd love some figure multi-packs of things like cantina aliens, Jabba's goons, or similar items for the other toy lines. I feel like the Sentinel, Razor Crest and Dragon Quest could have all been made for retail in some form.
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #5
cloud
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge1021 View Post
At this point I'm pretty much done with the really big items. I went in on the barge, Sentinel, and Razor Crest. I can't really see myself going for another that size - maybe a Jawa Sandcrawler if they did one. I'd probably pass on Galactus.

My preference would be smaller projects. Things that would never sell as a mass retail item. I'd love some figure multi-packs of things like cantina aliens, Jabba's goons, or similar items for the other toy lines. I feel like the Sentinel, Razor Crest and Dragon Quest could have all been made for retail in some form.
We have seen Sentinels made in the past but won't be in scale and fully articulated like the HasLab version.
The size itself it just too large to work in retail. Similar to Mattel's Castle Grayskull and Super7's Snake moutain.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:43 PM   #6
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

They might do the USS Flagg as a big one off, but it will be pricey, and not to scale. The reality is that a Flagg, made to scale with 3&3/4" would be as long as a house, at the least. So it wouldn't ever be to scale, but I would probably get one if it was a modernized redo of the original (new/modern engineering and design cues). Realistically 7' is probably the max most of us could reasonably display.

I think the more realistic, and likely, idea for GI Joe with Haslab is to do a large vehicle at a lower price.

The Haslab team has already stated they want to try and do lower priced items that would probably not be great sellers at retail. They even mentioned possibly going as low at $100(US), but I doubt that.

For a GI Joe project I would like a, to scale, Night Raven. They could also do a Skystriker, or Whale. I could see all of those being done at a lower price point for Haslab. Of course I could go for a tricked out Terrordrome at a higher price point as well.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:55 PM   #7
Robimus
Super Moderator

I wish they would end it.

Sorry, not sorry.

$1000 plus price tags exclude 99% of collectors. Add to it the fact that a multi billion dollar corporation begs for money to finance the projects is a further turn off for me.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:16 PM   #8
ghostlurk29
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
We have seen Sentinels made in the past but won't be in scale and fully articulated like the HasLab version.
The size itself it just too large to work in retail. Similar to Mattel's Castle Grayskull and Super7's Snake moutain.
They sell 20+inch Transformers. Nothing wrong with "some assembly required" at retail.
ghostlurk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:26 AM   #9
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
I wish they would end it.

Sorry, not sorry.

$1000 plus price tags exclude 99% of collectors. Add to it the fact that a multi billion dollar corporation begs for money to finance the projects is a further turn off for me.
Well to be fair they have stated they want to get away from the high priced projects, and get lower priced projects done.

The last 2 have been $560(Cdn). So they already seem to be trying to come down a bit in price.

I guess the real question is what their criteria is for Haslab versus retail. I mean they rereleased the BMF and it is $500 at TRU. The BS Lightsabers now average $300. The Titans from Transformers are $250 to start.

So they aren't afraid of high priced retail. If any project was a good fit for retail it was the Sentinel and/or Razor Crest. The Sentinel is iconic in X-Men/Marvel media, and the Razor Crest is from Star Wars' currently most popular media. So that makes me wonder what were the criteria that made them Haslab projects instead of retail releases.

I also think this is going to be the future for collectors. Companies, big and small, are going to look to minimize risk/cost on product lines. What better way to do that than on demand production. All the money upfront, and almost no risk for production and distribution. Of course the big guys will always have a presence at regular retail, but I see the attraction for them to go with this model for large/collector items. This could eventually even lead to whole properties being produced this way.

I mean if they can't get M.A.S.K. back on shelves, maybe they could do a line through Haslab.

End of my verbal diarrhea.

Last edited by canprime; 12-03-2020 at 07:28 AM.