ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 08-11-2021, 04:26 PM   #911
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Re: G.I. Joe Classified Series 6 inch discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraCommander View Post
I'm hoping for a Haslab Rattler

Yeah I really hope Hasbro goes the 3.75" route for the first Haslab.

I know they seem to be leaning towards 6" Classified, but a vehicle in that scale, most likely a HISS, would be a bit much to start.

Go old school and give us a nice updated, detailed vehicle. That way it can stay, hopefully, closer to the lower end of pricing for a Haslab project.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:44 PM   #912
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Hasbro either needs to stay in their lane and keep focusing on the 80's kids demographic or age it up and make it more violent and gritty. I'm in my late 20's and I had absolutely zero interest in that franchise nor did I know any kid around my age that did either let alone talked about it. Even when Hasbro tried to appeal to kids/pre-teens like myself that grew up watching Anime by making GI Joe Sigma 6 (with Anime art style), still heard no one talking about it that was my age nor did I ever feel the need to run out and buy these figures after watching the show (which I only watched on Saturday mornings occasionally). The big problem with GI Joe from what I see it is that it never matured beyond being an 80's kids cartoon. When I was a kid we were all used to seeing higher levels of violence and more mature themes/stories due to the big Anime boom. So going from watching Anime to GI Joe Sigma 6 was like a huge down grade in terms of what we're used to watching. GI Joe is going to continue to remain stagnant until they do something drastic with the brand. It's either do a complete overhaul and make it JUST for kids, or age it up and only focus on older teen and adult demographic. Another option is producing shows/films for both audiences, but they can't just keep trying to make things that are accessible to both demo's. It doesn't work.

Last edited by Zeroflamez; 08-11-2021 at 04:49 PM.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:02 PM   #913
BlackBeltJohnson
Galactian Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
Hasbro either needs to stay in their lane and keep focusing on the 80's kids demographic or age it up and make it more violent and gritty. I'm in my late 20's and I had absolutely zero interest in that franchise nor did I know any kid around my age that did either let alone talked about it. Even when Hasbro tried to appeal to kids/pre-teens like myself that grew up watching Anime by making GI Joe Sigma 6 (with Anime art style), still heard no one talking about it that was my age nor did I ever feel the need to run out and buy these figures after watching the show (which I only watched on Saturday mornings occasionally). The big problem with GI Joe from what I see it is that it never matured beyond being an 80's kids cartoon. When I was a kid we were all used to seeing higher levels of violence and more mature themes/stories due to the big Anime boom. So going from watching Anime to GI Joe Sigma 6 was like a huge down grade in terms of what we're used to watching. GI Joe is going to continue to remain stagnant until they do something drastic with the brand.
Interesting pov! I'm from the 80s and grew up with Joes in their heyday, so it's really interesting to hear the perspective of those who didn't grow up with it at the same time.
Not everyone revered the cartoon back in the day though. It was still considered 'soft' and even a bit boring by those of us who read the original Marvel comic series. In it, Cobra goons were routinely shown being shot to death, stabbed to death, drowned, strangled, burned or blown up. While there were very few Joe casualties throughout the entire comic run, many of them were often wounded and some to an inch of their lives.
So when the cartoon came along and showed Cobra troopers all parachuting to safety, or Joes and Cobras running towards each other guns blazing only to start fist fighting up close.....while my friends and I weren't surprised, we were still like "Oh come on!" Lol.

Last edited by BlackBeltJohnson; 08-11-2021 at 05:05 PM.
BlackBeltJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:33 PM   #914
Marvellegendsguy
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeltJohnson View Post
Interesting pov! I'm from the 80s and grew up with Joes in their heyday, so it's really interesting to hear the perspective of those who didn't grow up with it at the same time.
Not everyone revered the cartoon back in the day though. It was still considered 'soft' and even a bit boring by those of us who read the original Marvel comic series. In it, Cobra goons were routinely shown being shot to death, stabbed to death, drowned, strangled, burned or blown up. While there were very few Joe casualties throughout the entire comic run, many of them were often wounded and some to an inch of their lives.
So when the cartoon came along and showed Cobra troopers all parachuting to safety, or Joes and Cobras running towards each other guns blazing only to start fist fighting up close.....while my friends and I weren't surprised, we were still like "Oh come on!" Lol.
Yes even as little kids we would mock the cartoon and when we saw Battle Force 2000 toys appear we were even angrier
Marvellegendsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:55 PM   #915
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeltJohnson View Post
Thanks for your POV. This is the first time I've ever really seen any Joe Fan voice criticisms they had with the show or say how they found some of the stuff cheesy even as kids. Most times I see the Joe guys talk about the show and characters it's nothing but good things and nostalgia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvellegendsguy View Post
Yes even as little kids we would mock the cartoon and when we saw Battle Force 2000 toys appear we were even angrier
Like I was saying above in my reply to Black Belt. I always just assumed all of you guys didn't see the show as being cheesy as kids and took it seriously since I never really hear Joe fans talking about what they disliked about the show as kids or even as adults. It's always generally just really good things and being nostalgic. Again, I appreciate the insight.

Last edited by Zeroflamez; 08-11-2021 at 06:59 PM.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:21 PM   #916
usernameprime
Cobra Commander

80s Joe cartoon was just fun but things got pretty stale and boring in the last season when they went went all eco-warrior plus TMNT was in full swing in that moment.

Here's Timber and Freedom posing as Cobra agents to infiltrate a Cobra base by taking Spirit and Snake Eyes as prisoners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (85.3 KB, 18 views)
usernameprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:45 PM   #917
Marvellegendsguy
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameprime View Post
80s Joe cartoon was just fun but things got pretty stale and boring in the last season when they went went all eco-warrior plus TMNT was in full swing in that moment.

Here's Timber and Freedom posing as Cobra agents to infiltrate a Cobra base by taking Spirit and Snake Eyes as prisoners.
Precisely, animals taking people prisoner. We have varied ages. By 1988 I was out, our ages span a range. I might be at the older end perhaps.
Marvellegendsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:45 PM   #918
BlackBeltJohnson
Galactian Herald

Quote:
Oh gawd, I almost forgot about BF2000, lol! Natchos please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
Thanks for your POV. This is the first time I've ever really seen any Joe Fan voice criticisms they had with the show or say how they found some of the stuff cheesy even as kids. Most times I see the Joe guys talk about the show and characters it's nothing but good things and nostalgia.
Like I was saying above in my reply to Black Belt. I always just assumed all of you guys didn't see the show as being cheesy as kids and took it seriously since I never really hear Joe fans talking about what they disliked about the show as kids or even as adults. It's always generally just really good things and being nostalgic. Again, I appreciate the insight.
Hey, it's all good bro! I'm glad we both got to see things from the other side of the lens. And yeah, I'm sure plenty of Joe fans who were kids in that era have nothing but good memories of the cartoon, and that's fine. My memories of those days are still Nostalgia drenched Fun and Glory too, but just not in the same ways. As Marvellegends guy said, we were all different ages. I was 11 when the cartoon came out and had already been weened on Conan comics, the more older-teen targeted Joe Comic, and movies like the Dirty Dozen, Force 10 from Navarone and First Blood, James Bond films etc. Needless to say, kids my age weren't going to be impressed with 'Knowing is Half the Battle,' lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameprime View Post

What about Cobraaaaa-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LAAAAH!!!

Quote:
Precisely, animals taking people prisoner. We have varied ages. By 1988 I was out, our ages span a range. I might be at the older end perhaps.
Yep, same. It was in '87 that I realized that having a toy collection was not conducive to...shall we say....'successful relations with teen girls,' to put it mildly, lol.

Last edited by BlackBeltJohnson; 08-11-2021 at 09:52 PM.
BlackBeltJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 01:02 PM   #919
Eko123
Body without Organs

Anyone remember the episode from the "Pyramid Of Darkness" mini-series (the one that introduced Tomax & Xamot) where Snake-Eyes put on a wig and dress and danced, while Shipwreck played a saxophone? (they were in disguise)
Eko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 01:12 PM   #920
Mudflap
Clonetrooper

Based on the wave one designs, obviously Hasbro's original intent with Classified was to lean into Sci-Fi more than military aspect. Likely because that's an easier sell to parents. This didn't please longtime Joe fans. Particularly the colours. Basically Hasbro didn't seem to understand or know the audience that would be most interested in the line.
Mudflap is offline   Reply With Quote