ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 01-04-2023, 03:10 PM   #1451
Robimus
Super Moderator
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

I picked him up just for the vehicle

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:56 PM   #1452
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
I picked him up just for the vehicle
I feel like they could have sold hundreds if they included an army builder.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:56 PM   #1453
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

S-26
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Saw Gerrera

This? this right here is? Wow. Just WOW. Kudos Hasbro. That?s it, that?s the review.

Pros: Saw is legitimately amazing. An unbelievably awesome sculpt with all sorts of details, add-ons and features. Two perfect weapons from the movie and more ability to pose than I?m sure the in universe character has. This is one of those toys that showcases Hasbro?s ability to produce outstanding figures.

Cons: Price point is the biggest issue and I?m wondering if that is why I don?t see a lot of online praise for him.

Old 01-06-2023, 02:45 PM   #1454
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

868-2
Jazwares- Fortnite Legendary Series: Ruin.

What more can I say about Fortnite that I haven’t already said? Overall I’m happy that these figures were received so well, but in 10 years it will seem like a fever dream, much in the same way that GI Joe Sigma Six was/is. Kudos to Jazwares for these amazing figures and I hope that it leads to other licensing options that could benefit from this detail and articulation.

Pros: Ruin has the same level of great sculpt, articulation and accessories that I have come to expect from these Jazwares Fortnite figures. Great stuff all around.

Cons: While this isn’t the fault of Jazwares per se, Ruin is somewhat uninspired for a Fortnite figure. I suppose he’s someone’s favorite, but not mine.

Old 01-09-2023, 04:03 PM   #1455
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

869-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Old Man Logan and Hawk-Eye

As of the writing of this review, the news just broke about Hugh Jackman returning as Wolverine in Deadpool 3 and? ***HOT TAKE ALERT*** I?m kind of disappointed. Don?t get me wrong, I have always loved Jackman?s performance as Wolverine and his chemistry with Ryan Reynolds will certainly be fun to see on the big screen again, but I was REALLY looking forward to a clean break with Fox?s X-Men when they made the jump to the MCU. I suppose there is a chance that this will be considered a one off or even a story set in a different universe, but I feel it might set back any mutant inclusion in the MCU by a few years, which I think is a big mistake. Also, there is the issue of how awesome that movie Logan was as a send off to the character and to bring him back seems a bit like picking low hanging fruit.

Pros: Hawkeye- I knew that I was going to like this figure and had high expectations, but for me, these expectations were both met and exceeded. Seriously, old Hawkeye might be the best Marvel Legends figure that I have opened for a very long time. Everything is solid: the sculpt, the articulation and the accessories. Quick shout out to the long haired head sculpt and the fact that he can pose with the bow drawn.

Old Man Logan- While not AS good as Hawkeye, Logan is still an amazing figure. Similar to all the other Old Man Logan figures, the improvements come from the long duster jacket and wide brimmed hat head sculpt. Overall it's just such an iconic look.

Cons Hawkeye- Slight issue in the wrist joints to hold his bow and while I never thought id say this, a ball-style joint, as featured in McFarlane Toys, would be beneficial.

Old Man Logan- It would have been really great if they provided some type of sling for the green baby as there is no way for it to be held. Outside of that, this figure has the same limited ankle movement as the rest of this mold.

Old 01-09-2023, 04:04 PM   #1456
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 01-10-2023, 04:59 PM   #1457
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

870-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Death Trooper.

I know I’m supposed to be writing about Disney’s Galaxy Edgem, but can we talk about Andor for a second? The first 3 eps just dropped and I got to say… I love it. In fact I think it’s better than Season 1 of Mando, Book of Boba Fett AND Obi-Wan, which is likely enough to get me thrown out of the Star Wars fandom, but just bear with me: ANDOR IS WHAT THE FANDOM NEEDS= More stories that live in the world of Star Wars, but are not directly related to Jedi or Skywalker’s. And while I would have preferred this to be in a different era (general issue with Star Wars), this will do well to showcase a much different side of what we all have come to love. I’m not going to spoil anything, but if you were looking for a gritty, realistic, adult type show based in the universe of Star Wars, do yourself a favor and watch Andor.

Now I will spoil one scene that is unrelated to the overall plot that was picked up by Reddit and made me laugh like an idiot.

Basically there is a scene where the act of sex implied between a couple. The Reddit post included the following:

Redditor 1: Sorry Lads, sex is now cannon in the Star Wars Universe
Redditor 2: Damn, now I can’t relate to it.

I don’t know why, but I just found it to be hilarious.

Pros: I love the look and inclusion of the Death Troopers from Rogue One and feel that they are under utilized in other Star Wars media. Overall the troopers look great, have a nice amount of articulation and mobility and come with 2 blasters which is always a plus.

Cons: I’m fairly certain that these troopers are meant to be human, but the sculpt would suggest otherwise given how lean all the appendages are. Also, what is with the strap being used as a holster? Seems like a very dangerous way to hold on to a blaster.

Old 01-11-2023, 04:11 PM   #1458
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

871-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Spider-Man

***le sigh***

What is this? Like what are we doing here with this nonsense? I?m not really talking about the character so much as Hasbro?s presentation of him. For those unaware, this version of Spider-Man is more commonly known as Cosmic Spider-Man and is understood to be a ?spider? person from a different universe that is extremely powerful; like the most powerful hero in the Marvel Universe kind of powerful. I?m not sure how the fandom in general feels about Cosmic Spider-Man, but I feel like a character of this magnitude should have a bit more circumstance in its execution. First off it?s a super basic figure using the most generic mold that Hasbro has with a splash of metallic paint. Secondly he only comes with spare heads and while the unmasked version is my desired personal goal for beard and hair, there is really nothing special about them. Like, no energy effects? Webs? Spare hands outside of boring fists? COME ON! Lastly Hasbro once again has dropped the ball in marketing these lesser known characters. The package says that this is Spider-Man, but outside of a bit of red webbing on one of the head sculpts, there is nothing that shows me this is a Spider-Man of any kind. They don?t even qualify him as Cosmic Spider-Man nor give any back story to support why he is different. UGH, this is beyond frustrating.

Pros: Really disappointed with this figure, but I will say I love the paint job and the unmasked head-sculpt.

Cons: Uninspired and basic to a fault. It's crazy that Hasbro can justify this as a final figure for the price tag. Boo.

Old 01-11-2023, 04:11 PM   #1459
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 01-12-2023, 02:38 PM   #1460
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

S-25
Diamond Select: The Muppets- Kermit the Frog and Miss. Piggy.

I have been sitting on the fence for a very long time on picking up a set of the classic Muppets and thanks to Diamond Select re-releasing some figures from the series I was able to basically get the entire set at my local comic store with a few from Amazon for retail price. Now as with more people my age the Muppets have been a constant in my life for as long as I remember. I remember watching Sesame Street daily and even though I never always got the humor or recognized the guest stars, I watched the Muppet show all the time. And not to mention how massive The Muppet Babies were. As I got older the Muppets were always in my peripheral, but only until I saw the criminally underrated Muppets 3D experience at Disneyland’s California Adventure I was once again smitten. More recently I was glad to see a bit of a resurgence for the group with the extremely well made “the Muppets” movie but was less enthused with The Muppets Most Wanted film that followed. Additionally I really did not gel with the short lived ABC series from 2015. Like Kermit and Piggy broke up and he was dating a young new pig? Like, who thought this was the direction the Muppets needed to take? Yuck. I guess there was another underwhelming Muppets NOW series that was also short lived. It’s sad that they cannot get these characters right. With that said, something that IS really fun is the Muppets Haunted Mansion Halloween Special. One of those, not too spooky shows that families can watch during the spooky season.

Pros: My first Muppets figure and I got to say: I’m pretty jazzed about these. All have a decently detailed sculpt and a good amount of articulation for the size. Like check out those tiny little joints on Kermit! The accessories are a nice touch too and I love how they look all together.

Cons: Diamond Select is notorious, in my eyes anyways, for having the same packaging for all figures across the board and while that is good for the MISB inbox collector, it’s a massive waste of space for a good portion of the smaller figures that I buy. Now I’m all for consistency, but would it not make sense to have a smaller package for smaller figures? Outside of that, it would have been nice if Kermit’s nephew had a bit more ability to move. Outside of that, the figures are fantastic.