ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 10-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #291
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

That actually looks pretty slick, price wise they are off the charts though.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:43 PM   #292
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

150-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Headmasters: Brainstorm.

Again Hasbro has hit out of the park with these re-imagined Headmasters; they are just so well done. My connection to Brainstorm is less than to Chromedome and Highbrow, but that was more of a fluke as they were both Christmas presents to my brother and I when were younger and I’ll bet it was really just a random chance as to who we got as I don’t recall asked for a specific one. That said, if given the choice, I’m sure that I would have rather had Brainstorm given his feature role in the 3-part Headmasters-centric season 4 of The G1 Cartoon. It’s also curious that a different Brainstorm was the only Headmaster to receive an upgraded figure who was a Walgreens exclusive a few years back; perhaps he has a bigger fan at Hasbro HQ?

Pros: A sleek vehicle mode, simple yet satisfying transformation and a good amount of articulation.

Cons: I realize that it is not important to the overall figure, but I don’t love when parts need to be removable in order to transform.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #293
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 10-22-2018, 11:37 AM   #294
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

151-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: The Mighty Thor

I’ll be honest, I thought I would like this Thor a lot more than I did. On first look, it checks are the boxes for me: Large Imposing figure, really nice sculpt and comes with 2 weapons; should have been a slam dunk really. Unfortunately only after I opened him did I notice the flaws, which in truth have more to do with articulation than anything else, that he has. Perhaps it's because it’s an older figure and I have just become used to and spoiled by the more modern articulation schemes. Overall it's not bad figure, but certainly not their best effort; thankful I have a bunch of new Thor’s to look forward to reviewing.

Pros: Big imposing figure with a nice sculpt and comes with 2 weapon accessories. I was also able to get him on sale for $10 which is always a plus.

Cons: Even though Thor is a huge figure, he should be pretty dynamic and having those terrible ball jointed hips and single hinged elbows is a big downer. Additionally, while his hair and helmet looks good, it limits his ability to look around.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:20 AM   #295
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

152-2
Disney Infinity 3.0- Marvel: Captain America

This DIsney Infinity figure is a bit unique given that no other character has had two different figures in this series. (I suppose you could count the HulkBuster suit, but that’s really a whole different thing and doesn’t count. Also there was a Black Suit Spiderman, but that was just a repaint, so again doesn’t count). I suppose this Cap is a bit special as he comes with a new game that I understand to be a Super Smash Brothers type brawl game with the Disney Infinity characters. Again, not sure as I don’t play the game, but if so it would have been so cool and if developed earlier likely would have keep the Infinity line going for a longer period of time.

Pros: Even though it is not a dynamic, action pose I like the sculpt quite a bit. Also, somehow Disney Infinity was able to provide a better Chis Even likeness then many of the MCU Marvel Legends.

Cons: Part of a cancelled video game series.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #296
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

I have the prior retail version of that Thor (return of marvel legends...before the collector friend packaging, almost the same figure) and it's the ankles that kill it for me. There is zero pivot and it drives me up the wall cuz he looks great until you widen his stance and his feet can't firmly plant on the ground.
turtle power eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:30 PM   #297
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle power eh View Post
I have the prior retail version of that Thor (return of marvel legends...before the collector friend packaging, almost the same figure) and it's the ankles that kill it for me. There is zero pivot and it drives me up the wall cuz he looks great until you widen his stance and his feet can't firmly plant on the ground.
I didn't realize it was that old, but certainly tracks given the articulation scheme; feels very Mattel-y. Would have been great for the time though.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:30 PM   #298
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

153-2
Hasbro- G.I. Joe Pursuit of Cobra: Cobra Shock Trooper.

I didn’t realize it until now, but the Cobra Shock Trooper is a basically a re-tool of the Cobra Combat Ninja from past review #96: a really well done re-tool, with lots of different accessories including a new head but A re-tool nonetheless. And here's the thing: I’m not even mad as I think it is a perfect use of the existing mold (regardless of which came out first). Hell I wish they would take this figure and re-tool his 15 more times will a sorts of different Cobra soldiers, but with one caveat: change their rank from SOLDIER to VIPER. This is Cobra for goodness sake, let's see some of that pizzaz!

Pros: A really great army building figure with tons of accessories and weapons, good possibility and a neato riot shield. I would have loved this a a kid.

Cons: No weapon storage aside from the little walkie-talkie tab on his vest. The goggles, they do nothing- seriously, they are only made to fit on the helmet; it’s a odd choice.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #299
DanM
Aquanaut

To be fair, this one was the first, the Combat Ninja would be the retool. Hasbro used the body of this one on at least a dozen other figures.
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #300
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

005-R
Hasbro- Beast Machines- Cheetor
Release Date (approx): 1999-2000
Current Price and availability: $45.00
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/HASBRO-Trans...8AAOSw8A1aenFR

Much like Obi Wan from my initial retro review, this figure also represents a bit of milestone as the the first Transformer toy in my collection. Sure, I had a bunch when I was a kid, but was never saw the appeal of the new style Beast Wars figures that preceded this Beast Machine line because I just didn’t get it. I’ll gladly admit that I was wrong about both the Beast Wars show and toys as I was probably not prepared for something so new and different from the original incarnation of the Transformers. Fast forward 20 some years I would certainly welcome something new in the franchise as having the same old story with Optimus, Bumblebee and Megatron told 5 similar but different ways is getting real tired.

Pros: When Beast Machines was first introduced I was really taken by the stylistic designs, interested in the story arc and excited to see the return to vehicles in the transformers world and even though this particular figure no the best representation of the character, he’s still pretty unique. He has a good size and decent transformation. And while it doesn't happen very often, I like his cheetah mode more than his robot mode and display him as such.

Cons: His robot model is a bit gangly and has a really difficult time standing unassisted. I’m also not a fan of included action features that hinder articulation and movement. I get that this is kids toy, but even when I was a kid, having claw swiping action never did it for me.