ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 06-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
Supertofu
Deep Fried
Action Figure Fraud: Is this a problem at your local stores???

There seems to be an ongoing problem at my local Wal-Mart. Someone keeps returning figures with the wrong packaging.

So far I have seen Marvel Universe figures being returned with G.I. Joe figures from the movie. I have also seen Marvel Universe figures being returned with a Wolverine figure from the Wolverine and the X-Men line. Most recently I have seen a 6 inch Mark 5 Iron Man on the selves with the suit case from the 3 inch line and no right hands. This person switched all the right hands with lefts.

This is considered fraud and a criminal offense. I do hope that whoever is doing this gets caught. Not only are they committing a crime but they are filling the selves with crap that no one wants. This means that there will be a delay in getting any new stock or shipments.

Are any of you guys experiencing the same problem at your stores?

Last edited by Supertofu; 06-26-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Supertofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Bruticus82
Super Friend
Re: Action Figure Fraud: Is this a problem at your local stores???

I haven't seen any at my stores, but we read about it all the time on the transformers forums at cybertron.ca People returning smaller transformers in boxes meant for larger figures, or returning old/broken figures in boxes as if they were new.

The merchants seem to tacitly approve of this as Walmart and Zellers have put the items back on display, even after informed fans (such as us) bring the item to customer service and complain that it is not the right item. I know they're probably just trying to cut their losses, but it bothers me to think that some kindly mother/father/grandparent/uncle who doesn't know any better is going to buy one of these things, assuming it's what their child/grandchild/nephew/niece wants, only to result in disappointment all around.
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
pud333
Master of the Universe

Not lately, but for a while I saw a lot of GI Joe repacks. I saw a Serpentor Chariot in a Hiss tank box, which seemed like the most glaring offense. Here's a hint to those who may be lurking and are doing this kind of thing: It's theft. You are a thief if you do this. If you cannot afford to buy the toy outright, you cannot afford it. And if you are willing to trade your personal integrity in by stealing a plastic toy, well, then there's no hope for you. It's that simple.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
Robimus
Super Moderator

I started collecting as an adult in 1995 and it was happening then. Not much one can do really.

The stores should honestly be a bit more on the ball about this as its not that difficult to figure out.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
Supertofu
Deep Fried

I see it happening at TRU now. Just today I saw on the shelf DCUC batman from the 2-pack with Clayface in a DCUC Batman all-stars packaging with no accessories or figure stand.

It's really sad that people have to commit fraud and scams over toys. If you really can't afford it you should just leave it for people who can.

Honestly I would rather see a scalper buy the toy instead of someone who has the intentions on committing fraud.
Supertofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #6
pandaprime
Master of the Universe

yeah that really grinds my gears!
Old 06-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
Napseeker
Dark Knight

I actually had this swapping occur on a regular basis at my Zellers for both SW and GI Joe. Solution: I turned in each and every swap to their customer service dept week after week until they got so sick of seeing me that they instituted new policies about handling toy returns (they would call down the person who handled the toy section to verify that the toy inside had not been swapped out before accepting the return... I told them "hey! Just look at the damn photo on the card and compare it to the toy inside!" but that's dept stores for you).

They eventually caught the perp but I was shocked to learn they just let him go (well banning him from the store but big deal... they should've filed charges).
Napseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
RyDel
Super Friend

Swapping is out of control at a Zellers near my house. I've alerted costumer service but they seem disinterested. I've actually seen swapped products I've brought to them back on the shelf a day or two later.

Some one is also using a Exacto blade to remove droid pieces from the build a droid lines.

It sucks.
RyDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:12 AM   #9
Napseeker
Dark Knight

Ask to speak to the manager... I eventually ran into the manager who worked at my Zellers and he actually was glad to be made aware of the situation. I explained to him that swapping in crap for good products that were stolen only means that smart collectors are not ever going to buy the product, which means it lingers FOREVER on the pegs and no new product ever gets put out... thus the store loses money and is forced to put it on clearance. And of course their computer inventory system can't tell the difference between the geuine article and swapped in crap.

Once you make a business case to the manager directly, they tell the customer service dept to ship up. I definitely wouldn't leave it in the hands of just the customer rep folks - in many cases, toys don't rank very high on their security/theft concerns.
Napseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
RyDel
Super Friend

Good point Napseeker.
RyDel is offline   Reply With Quote