ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > International Action Figure News > G.I. Joe Toy News

Old 01-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon
Stephen Sommers Off GI Joe 2

Stephen Sommers Off GI Joe 2

Category: G.I. Joe Movie

Posted From: HISSTANK.COM - G.I. Joe
Old 01-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
Napseeker
Dark Knight
Re: Stephen Sommers Off GI Joe 2

There's going to be a GI JOE TWO?!? Wow, well I guess you can bet that TRU isn't going to be ordering *those* movie figures the next time around...
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:26 AM   #3
Robimus
Super Moderator

I really don't want them to go in a different direction than the first film did so I don't know if this is a good thing.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:22 AM   #4
Toy Gremlin
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napseeker View Post
There's going to be a GI JOE TWO?!? Wow, well I guess you can bet that TRU isn't going to be ordering *those* movie figures the next time around...
LOL! I don't think it's just TRU. The other stores may not be that willing to hop on the bandwagon either.

I guess GI Joe 2 is eventually coming out! I wonder who the new director will be for the next GI Joe movie.
Toy Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:14 AM   #5
Napseeker
Dark Knight

Let's see... who else could they get to totally ruin the GI Joe franchise... I know! The initials are "M" and "Bay"
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:25 AM   #6
Robimus
Super Moderator

The thing is thius was a success from a finanical standpoint. It actually works well when you stick it alongside the old cartoon imo.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:44 AM   #7
DanM
Aquanaut

I will admit I actually enjoyed the first one, and the problems I did have with it were script related more than director/acting related. The writers (and I use the term loosely) have to take their share of the blame for fans being disappointed.
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #8
pattycakeman
Cylon Centurion

I dont think my biggest problem was with sommers, I dont like him but i dont hate his work. Now the writers were absolutely terrible (it was wrote during the writers strike a few years ago so they werent "real" writters), and the actors, my hate for the guy who played Duke, he pretty much ruined duke for me.. and marlon waynes, while i dont hate him i dont want him anywhere near a gi joe movie! the other actors i didnt mind so much. hopefully they repalce those two and get some good writers on this thing.

I dont think TRU and other retail will ignore this line though, they will definately be more causious, probably a couple more pegs than we see now with POC.
pattycakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
ARROW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakeman View Post
I dont think my biggest problem was with sommers, I dont like him but i dont hate his work. Now the writers were absolutely terrible (it was wrote during the writers strike a few years ago so they werent "real" writters),
This is very incorrect.
The writers were very much "real writers"--they have to be as the Screenwriters Guild ( and various other film industry unions) would have had a fit if they weren't.
The script was written BEFORE the strike ( not during), was actually rushed to have it completed before the strike deadline.
The "problem" with the script was that once the strike started, no re-writes could take place ( as no Guild writers could work DURING the strike) and the studio was obligated to use the script as is, or stop production.
Since the dollar value invested in the film was so high, and the length of the strike an unknown quality the studio and Hasbro were faced with big losses if they did not proceed.
ARROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
pattycakeman
Cylon Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW View Post
This is very incorrect.
The writers were very much "real writers"--they have to be as the Screenwriters Guild ( and various other film industry unions) would have had a fit if they weren't.
The script was written BEFORE the strike ( not during), was actually rushed to have it completed before the strike deadline.
The "problem" with the script was that once the strike started, no re-writes could take place ( as no Guild writers could work DURING the strike) and the studio was obligated to use the script as is, or stop production.
Since the dollar value invested in the film was so high, and the length of the strike an unknown quality the studio and Hasbro were faced with big losses if they did not proceed.
Ok fair enough, still had something to do with the strike though . They may have been "real writers" but they were still absolutely terrible, rewrites or not they were terrible and when you have terrible actors using terrible scripts its going to be terrible squared. From what I've read is that Hasbro realizes how terrible it was, so heres hoping they clean house, get some decent actors and some good writers!
pattycakeman is offline   Reply With Quote