ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Mattel Toy Discussion

Old 02-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #41
CTO15
Avengers Assemble!
Re: DC Universe Classics

anybody still waiting on their Starfire/Strange pack? I have yet to receive it. I hope its still coming
CTO15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:08 AM   #42
Eko123
Body without Organs

So, with recent reports of DCUC figures being sighted at TRU stores in Ontario, does this mean that the line will be carried in Canada again at mass retail?

If so, I really hope it stays this way.

Last edited by Eko123; 08-12-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Eko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #43
-KG-
Gotham Knight

So far it seems like only TRU will be carrying the line. I just hope people buy the lesser known characters, otherwise they'll clog the shelves and TRU won't order anymore. I know I won't see anymore TDK Movie Masters since every TRU I go to has 20 Scarcrows.

BTW, I just noticed this a few days ago. Why is Captain Marvel being called Shazam? Shazam is what Billy says to become Captain Marvel (I guess that's why it's in quotes); and Shazam is the Wizards name who gave him the powers. I guess it has something to do with Marvel Comics?
-KG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #44
pud333
Master of the Universe

Yeah, I believe it's due to Marvel and rights over the Captain Marvel name.

I sure hope TRU orders a variety of characters for their DC stuff in general. Though I am afraid they aren't so smart, considering all the DCIH figures they ordered that were the same and while they flew off shelves initially, they're now clogging everything up. I'm afraid it will happen with DCUC, but we'll see.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #45
lars573
Clone trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KG- View Post
BTW, I just noticed this a few days ago. Why is Captain Marvel being called Shazam? Shazam is what Billy says to become Captain Marvel (I guess that's why it's in quotes); and Shazam is the Wizards name who gave him the powers. I guess it has something to do with Marvel Comics?
Because Marvel holds all the trademarks/copyrights on Captain Marvel. After DC sued Fawcett's Captain Marvel (he was declared an illegal copy of Superman) out of existance in 1952 there was no Captain Marvel title out for over 15 years. Until Marvel created Captain Marvel in the late 60's and gave him his own title in the 70's. And trademarked it's title. When DC bought the rights to print comics of Fawcett's Captain Marvel in 1972 (and the characters out right in 1980). They couldn't use Captain Marvel anywhere on the cover. So when ever you see DC's Captain Marvel in toy form he's called Shazam.
lars573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #46
-KG-
Gotham Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
Because Marvel holds all the trademarks/copyrights on Captain Marvel. After DC sued Fawcett's Captain Marvel (he was declared an illegal copy of Superman) out of existance in 1952 there was no Captain Marvel title out for over 15 years. Until Marvel created Captain Marvel in the late 60's and gave him his own title in the 70's. And trademarked it's title. When DC bought the rights to print comics of Fawcett's Captain Marvel in 1972 (and the characters out right in 1980). They couldn't use Captain Marvel anywhere on the cover. So when ever you see DC's Captain Marvel in toy form he's called Shazam.
I don't quite understand your post. You said Marvel holds all trademarks/copyrights on Captain Marvel, but then that DC bought the characters outright in 1980. What is it that Marvel and DC actually own in regards to the character?
Old 04-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #47
lars573
Clone trooper

Both companies have a character called Captain Marvel. But only one has the right to title a comic or toy Captain Marvel. As it's trademarked by Marvel Comics. Same way that for a few years Hasbro has to call Shockwave toys Shockblast, or the Hod Rod/Bluestreak issue. I remember reading that Marvel and DC reached an agreement that DC could keep calling him Captain Marvel in the comics. But no where on any cover can it say Captain Marvel.
lars573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #48
-KG-
Gotham Knight

Thanks, I understand now
Old 04-12-2009, 01:13 AM   #49
jourdo
Red Shirt
jourdo's Ebay Auctions

Well I really need to come here more often... otherwise I would not have crapped my pants quite as much when I saw the two packs at TRU. Too bad there was no Cyborg Superman, but I finally have my Abin Sur!
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:23 AM   #50
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Jourdo, They seem to have some of these figures at Chinook Hobby in Calgary, not sure what you need, but the have a whole wall. The only down side is that they are 20 a piece. The price and availability is the only thing holding me back on these figures. They look so damn cool...

Maybe a few collection pics may convince me further...
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote