ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 11-16-2020, 09:40 AM   #2901
Wheelwave
Master of the Universe
Re: Star Wars Black Series discussion

Woke up very early this morning to check stocktrack. Nothing. Then I looked at Wal-Mart.ca and found out they had a small quantity of ahsokas. Managed to secure one. Yes! So all I need now is the mando trooper.

Star Wars Black Series Return of the Jedi 40th anniversary Darth Vader
Wheelwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:27 PM   #2902
Eko123
Body without Organs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
Anyone who has $900-$1000 to buy up 10-12 each of these 3 exclusive figures is not going through trying times. Dude is just a scalping SoB.
You can bet that scalpers like that also don't have full-time jobs (if any job) and live in their parents' basements without any family responsibilities or the need to pay for expenses/necessities like a mortgage, rent or even groceries.

It's like they're stalking for action figures 24/7 either in person or with automated online bot accounts to snatch up everything in sight.

For most of us normal collectors who have lives, it's even more frustrating that we can't even get a little enjoyment through our action figure hobby during this COVID-19 pandemic because we can't find anything as a result of these greedy asshats.

Sorry for venting. lol
Eko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #2903
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

To be fair, if I wasn't working from home and close by a Walmart I doubt I would have been able to find the exclusives.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #2904
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eko123 View Post
You can bet that scalpers like that also don't have full-time jobs (if any job) and live in their parents' basements without any family responsibilities or the need to pay for expenses/necessities like a mortgage, rent or even groceries.

It's like they're stalking for action figures 24/7 either in person or with automated online bot accounts to snatch up everything in sight.

For most of us normal collectors who have lives, it's even more frustrating that we can't even get a little enjoyment through our action figure hobby during this COVID-19 pandemic because we can't find anything as a result of these greedy asshats.

Sorry for venting. lol
The sad part is I feel like this is just the beginning. Hasbro see's that how they handled the Walmart exclusives was very successful. Going forward I can see them pulling this stunt again in the future. Maybe next time it will be Clone Wars Maul and 3 other Army builders.
Zeroflamez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:08 AM   #2905
Ksteel
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eko123 View Post

Sorry for venting. lol
Greed in general fuels the collecting industry. Scalpers are frustrating I agree. But they can also be useful. Especially with the frequency in which they hunt for these items and buy entire caseloads in Toronto and GTA stores.

I've never once seen a Black Series Mando figure on the shelves, yet managed to get one from a scalper for only 10 dollars more. It was well worth it considering all the effort and time that would have been wasted going from store to store during a pandemic. Hunting for this stuff can be fun, but ultimately not the best use of one's time.
Ksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:05 AM   #2906
Darth Cujo
Super Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksteel View Post
Greed in general fuels the collecting industry. Scalpers are frustrating I agree. But they can also be useful. Especially with the frequency in which they hunt for these items and buy entire caseloads in Toronto and GTA stores.

I've never once seen a Black Series Mando figure on the shelves, yet managed to get one from a scalper for only 10 dollars more. It was well worth it considering all the effort and time that would have been wasted going from store to store during a pandemic. Hunting for this stuff can be fun, but ultimately not the best use of one's time.
You do realize that's what feeds the scalpers? If the scalpers didn't exist you would have been more likely to find a Black Series Mando on the shelf at retail for regular price.
Darth Cujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #2907
Bman82
Red Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cujo View Post
You do realize that's what feeds the scalpers? If the scalpers didn't exist you would have been more likely to find a Black Series Mando on the shelf at retail for regular price.
you are probably right but his point is that he didn't have to run around like an idiot from store to store in order to do that.. instead the scalper is the idiot that ran around wasting 2-3 hrs of his time + gas and all you had to do is pay him $10 HAHAHA.. sounds good to me.

What will really help with this is limiting purchases.. do you think some scalper could walk out with 12 ahsokas if the limit was 2? sure there are ways around it but atleast they would have to work for it.

i know some TRU in my area had a limit on the GE figs and were even asking for ID. From what i understood they were limiting per day. So you could get 2 today and 2 tomorrow but not more then 2 in one day. This system atleast allows for more people to get their hands on figures and scalpers would have a hard time clearing out stores...

there are so many ways to limit buying and prevent scalping but they just don't all seem to want to implement it.

For standard figures i don't think its needed but for exclusives it should be made standard that there is a limit of 2 per customer.
Bman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:38 AM   #2908
Darth Cujo
Super Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman82 View Post
you are probably right but his point is that he didn't have to run around like an idiot from store to store in order to do that.. instead the scalper is the idiot that ran around wasting 2-3 hrs of his time + gas and all you had to do is pay him $10 HAHAHA.. sounds good to me.

What will really help with this is limiting purchases.. do you think some scalper could walk out with 12 ahsokas if the limit was 2? sure there are ways around it but atleast they would have to work for it.

i know some TRU in my area had a limit on the GE figs and were even asking for ID. From what i understood they were limiting per day. So you could get 2 today and 2 tomorrow but not more then 2 in one day. This system atleast allows for more people to get their hands on figures and scalpers would have a hard time clearing out stores...

there are so many ways to limit buying and prevent scalping but they just don't all seem to want to implement it.

For standard figures i don't think its needed but for exclusives it should be made standard that there is a limit of 2 per customer.
Oh I understood the point. But that logic unfortunately still feeds the scalpers.

I also agree that limits would help. But they can be circumvented. Big picture is that the stores dont care who buys, as long as the items sell. I just go without rather than buy from third party sellers. I wont run around all over the place to get stuff either. And with covid I miss out a lot more. But I'm also patient and play the long game. Usually it works out in the long run.
Darth Cujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:41 AM   #2909
Wheelwave
Master of the Universe

Tried calling the farthest Walmart that showed 12 Mando Troopers in stock. Apparently someone else called around the same time as me and they apparently they put all 12 on hold for the other guy. This isn't fair!

Star Wars Black Series Return of the Jedi 40th anniversary Darth Vader
Wheelwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #2910
sixshot1981
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelwave View Post
Tried calling the farthest Walmart that showed 12 Mando Troopers in stock. Apparently someone else called around the same time as me and they apparently they put all 12 on hold for the other guy. This isn't fair!
Life never is.
sixshot1981 is offline   Reply With Quote