ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 11-22-2020, 05:01 PM   #2961
Drewton
Cobra Trooper
Re: Star Wars Black Series discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
Well yeah. Disney knows the Mandolorian is the only thing they've made that people actually like so they have to keep milking it. The only reason they are milking the OT trilogy is cause their sequel trilogy and other spin off films failed.
Lol, I mean most of the films were undeniable commercial and critical successes with tons of fans, so no. Meanwhile Mando is clearly starting to set up the sequel trilogy. They're not as toyetic as the prequels as Clone Wars and that's fine. Although we still haven't gotten obvious figures like Crait Luke and Exogol Emperor.

Last edited by Drewton; 11-22-2020 at 05:15 PM.
Drewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:57 PM   #2962
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewton View Post
Lol, I mean most of the films were undeniable commercial and critical successes with tons of fans, so no. Meanwhile Mando is clearly starting to set up the sequel trilogy. They're not as toyetic as the prequels as Clone Wars and that's fine. Although we still haven't gotten obvious figures like Crait Luke and Exogol Emperor.
Lol, no they really weren't. Outside of Rogue One and The Force Awakens every other film they made flopped. As did the toy lines. Yes some fans did enjoy it but a lot of them didn't. Which was why there is a huge divide in the fan base. There's a reason why Disney scrapped the other trilogy they had planned and ended it with TRoS as well as scrapping any other spin off movie they had in the works. My entire point was that Disney most likely wanted their Sequel trilogy and whatever came after to be their flagship for the Star Wars brand especially for toys. However since they did not do as well as they wanted the had no choice but to Milk the OT until now where they can start to milk the Mandolorian since it sells better than anything else they've made to date.

Last edited by Zeroflamez; 11-22-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:40 PM   #2963
Drewton
Cobra Trooper

Quote:
Lol, no they really weren't. Outside of Rogue One and The Force Awakens every other film they made flopped.
That’s just objectively false. Only one film they made flopped and that's Solo. TLJ which was more profitable than R1 ($417m in profits vs $319m) was the highest grossing film of 2017 even with three other MCU films, and also beat Black Panther to be #1 in home video sales in 2018. TROS could have done a lot better but even that did over a billion and made $300m in profits. It was disappointing, but no where near a flop.

I'm not sure we can really have great comparisons yet of Mando and ST sales given that there's been way more ST figures since 2015 and Mandalorian only started last year. Mando himself is obviously a hot seller, and baby Yoda is very popular. But beyond that, I've seen Cara Dune and the IG droid both peg warming, and I doubt the Greef Karga or Ugnaught figures will sell particularly well in stores. Overproduction/stocking too I think was more of a problem for the sequel merchandise.

I think LFL kind of shoot themselves in the foot in regards to the merchandise by not giving Hasbro and companies the spoilery designs - which are often cooler than the stuff we get - because they're so scared of leaks. We should have had Crait Luke ready to go within the first few months of TLJ, the Emperor and his new red guards shortly after TROS, baby Yoda in December last year, and Cobb Vanth, Ahsoka, and others from Mando S2 this winter. I miss back in 2005 during the ROTS days when we got stuff like burnt Anakin and Governor Tarkin in the summer.

Last edited by Drewton; 11-22-2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:11 PM   #2964
Wheelwave
Master of the Universe

I'm becoming more desperate to find those Mando Troopers at Walmart. I may have heard that they may be in stock at 2 of my Walmarts on Black Friday. I do not want to step in a store that day.

Star Wars Black Series Return of the Jedi 40th anniversary Darth Vader
Wheelwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:31 PM   #2965
Drewton
Cobra Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelwave View Post
I'm becoming more desperate to find those Mando Troopers at Walmart. I may have heard that they may be in stock at 2 of my Walmarts on Black Friday. I do not want to step in a store that day.
I'm hopeful they come back in stock online. I just got Ahsoka delivered today after trying and failing at several stores.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:40 PM   #2966
Wheelwave
Master of the Universe

Quote:
I'm hopeful they come back in stock online. I just got Ahsoka delivered today after trying and failing at several stores.
I'm waiting for my Ahsoka to arrive. It was just shipped yesterday. I don't know if I would be that lucky with the online store. I have to be there at the right moment. I could turn away for just 5 minutes and it's up and gone then.

Star Wars Black Series Return of the Jedi 40th anniversary Darth Vader
Wheelwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:31 AM   #2967
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
That’s just objectively false. Only one film they made flopped and that's Solo. TLJ which was more profitable than R1 ($417m in profits vs $319m) was the highest grossing film of 2017 even with three other MCU films, and also beat Black Panther to be #1 in home video sales in 2018. TROS could have done a lot better but even that did over a billion and made $300m in profits. It was disappointing, but no where near a flop.

I'm not sure we can really have great comparisons yet of Mando and ST sales given that there's been way more ST figures since 2015 and Mandalorian only started last year. Mando himself is obviously a hot seller, and baby Yoda is very popular. But beyond that, I've seen Cara Dune and the IG droid both peg warming, and I doubt the Greef Karga or Ugnaught figures will sell particularly well in stores. Overproduction/stocking too I think was more of a problem for the sequel merchandise.

I think LFL kind of shoot themselves in the foot in regards to the merchandise by not giving Hasbro and companies the spoilery designs - which are often cooler than the stuff we get - because they're so scared of leaks. We should have had Crait Luke ready to go within the first few months of TLJ, the Emperor and his new red guards shortly after TROS, baby Yoda in December last year, and Cobb Vanth, Ahsoka, and others from Mando S2 this winter. I miss back in 2005 during the ROTS days when we got stuff like burnt Anakin and Governor Tarkin in the summer.
I think the big problem was Hasbro flooded the market too much using collector lines like Black Series Collection to sell their 6 inch tie in figures instead of just making a separate 6 inch line for their tie in toys. Which was kinda scummy on Hasbro's part. From like 2015-2019 It was more like Star Wars the Sequel Trilogy collection than anything else. So tons of insignificant figures were made wave after wave which resulted in a lot of peg warmers from those films. I think if they just only made a few core characters and threw them into a wave or 2 leading up to the films it would have maybe had better results. The figures are peg warming from the Mando CC cause Hasbro was being dumb and thought it was a good idea to give Mandolorian its own subline and overstock the figures. I think Hasbro is honestly thinking that just cause the show is doing really well the merchandise will do really well which is just BS. Let's be honest here, the Mandolorian has brought a lot of casuals on board who don't collect or if they would buy something it would be a Baby Yoda or a Mando for their desk or something. So the rest of the toys are only being bought by Star Wars Collectors and maybe the odd collector that is out of his element but enjoyed the Mandolorian enough to buy into it.

Last edited by Zeroflamez; 11-23-2020 at 07:56 PM.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #2968
Crom71
Red Shirt

Now available for preorder from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/Speeder-6-Inch...s%2C220&sr=8-4
Crom71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:51 AM   #2969
TightyMhor
Cobra Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom71 View Post
Now available for preorder from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/Speeder-6-Inch...s%2C220&sr=8-4
$84?! Yikes, a hefty sum to pay for a repaint. I feel like they're aware of how much Mandalorian merch sells like hot cakes so they've just bumped up the price.
TightyMhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:06 PM   #2970
DubbaDee
Super Friend

Quote:
The only reason they are milking the OT trilogy is cause their sequel trilogy and other spin off films failed. If they had been a success the black series without a doubt would have just been Disney era figures.
haha what

Quote:
Originally Posted by TightyMhor View Post
$84?! Yikes, a hefty sum to pay for a repaint. I feel like they're aware of how much Mandalorian merch sells like hot cakes so they've just bumped up the price.
I'm still kicking myself for not buying more of the original when TRU had them down to $20-25
DubbaDee is offline   Reply With Quote